|

Help want to use the Microsoft Surface Pro to interact with the Promethean board wirelessly.

MikeMike Posts: 1
edited March 2016 in Projectors
How do i connect my microsoft surface pro tablet to my promethean board? I have activhub and i had found where you have to use this to connect to it but i can't seem to figure out how to make the two of them talk to each other. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Adam K PrometheanAdam K Promethean Posts: 1,742 admin
    edited September 2015
    Hi Mike,

Thank you for posting on the Support Community.

This would ultimately depend on which type of Promethean ActivBoard you are using.

If you have a 100/300 series please refer to article 10401 on www.PrometheanKB.com.

If you have a 500 series ActivBoard it would not be possible to connect wirelessly using your ActivHub.

If you have any issues please let me know.

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Promethean Technical Support
  • Steve LewerSteve Lewer Posts: 1
    edited January 2016
    I am using an AppleTV box (a happened to have one I was not using) and using AirParrot2 software on the surface to connect to the AppleTV.  The AppleTV needed an adapter to go from the HDMI output to the VGA/XVGA cable that my Promethean board/projector is using.

I very much enjoy the freedom to move around the room while writing on the board using the Surface.  (I am having trouble getting the Surface's pen to work w/ Activinspire the Surface's screen -- I am using another stylus instead, until I can find a solution.
    edited January 2016
    Hi there,

ActivInspire wouldn't support the full functionality to the Microsoft Surface Pro stylus however it may be possible to amend the ActivInspire settings to detect the stylus as a touch input instead.

You could try to change the below settings by going to:
    File>Settings> Dual Mode ActivBoards
    Change Touch Input handling to Touch or Stylus.

This may help to get the stylus to interact by acting as a stylus option.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,
    Adam
  • André DiekowAndré Diekow Posts: 4
    edited January 2016
    Has someone solved the problem with surface pro 3 stylus. My pro 2 stylus worked fine with activinspire. But i cannot use the stylus pro 3. Only navigation and menu-options working, but no writing. the stylus just makesw points but nothing more. need qucik help please, because i use the surface pro 3 with activinspire and, if i am not at the activboard touch, with an external beamer. tried every setting in options :-( thx
  • Promethean SupportPromethean Support Posts: 213
    edited January 2016
    We do not have a surface pro 3 here for us to test this.
    But installing the below could help:

Step 1: Open your browser and go to the Surface software, firmware, and drivers page on the Microsoft Download Center.
    Step 2: Select Download.
    Step 3: Scroll to the bottom of the list, select the checkbox for the .zip file that starts with Wintab, and select Next.
    Step 4: Select Open.
    Step 5: Extract the files from the .zip file, double-click to run the file WinTab_Setup_x64.exe, and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

If this doesnt work pick a user and go "offline" and we can if you like offer a remote session to investigate this further.
  • edited January 2016
    I have posted the same question in another thread.  I have tried your solution, and it didn't work.  If a solution is reached, I appreciate it if the answer is posted.
    edited January 2016
    Tried it too. Didn ́t work. It ́s a bit strange, beacause the surface stylus works fine otherwise.

just use the noteboard and touchpad, stylus is working. but still not in activinspire. wondering myself!
    edited January 2016
    Hi There,

Thank you for your reply.

It would appear that this may be an incompatibility with the Surface Pro stylus and ActivInspire.

I will raise this as an enhancement with our software development team to review and hopefully implement in future releases.

Kind regards,
    Adam
    edited January 2016
    but why does it work with noteboard and touchpad? i really need help immediately, because i am using the software in my lessons, also without the activboard! actually i am not able to hold my lessons in a modern and comfortable way. very disappointed (by the leader of the market)!
    edited January 2016
    Hi Andre,

Noteboard and Touchpad are both different software which is handled differently than ActivInspire.
    Please note that the ActivPen is the correct way to use the ActivBoard and that the Surface Pro stylus is not an alternative.

How are you also trying to use the ActivBoard Andre?
    Please describe the set up you currently have.

Thanks
    Adam
    edited January 2016
    Hi Andre,

I will contact you directly regarding this query.

Thanks
    Adam
    edited January 2016
    Hi All,

With regard to this query, we can confirm that ActivInspire does not support the Microsoft Surface Pro stylus.
    To also confirm the Microsoft Surface Pro can be used with the touch, just not the stylus pen that is provided.

We have raised a request with our software development team to review and hopefully implement changes in future versions of ActivInspire.

Kind regards,
    Adam
  • Amanda BranchAmanda Branch Posts: 3
    edited February 2016
    Hello,
    I am having difficulty connecting my surface pro 3 to our classroom promethean board. I am using a VGA connector which works fine for the display. The only issue is the activpen does not work at all. I have plugged the usb for the pen into the surface. Is there a driver or something for the pen that I have not downloaded? I have activinspire and I downloaded the activdriver.
  • Craig PrometheanCraig Promethean Posts: 493 mod
    edited February 2016
    Hello,

We currently investigating the interaction with a surface pro 3. You can install ActivInspire 2.4 as this works better.

Please find a link below -

https://promethean.box.com/s/l1n5oznjfsgv8kjl87qjul2p8pt7dbe2

Please note you will need to remove you current version of ActivInspire.

Please let us know if the issue persists.

Craig
    edited February 2016
    Is there another chance to download the software away from box.com? would like to test if it works better!
  • Amanda BranchAmanda Branch Posts: 3
    edited February 2016
    The box.com link does not work. A new link would be amazing.
  • Craig PrometheanCraig Promethean Posts: 493 mod
    edited February 2016
    Hello,

Please accept our apologies, I have created a new link for you -

https://promethean.box.com/ActivInspire-2-4

We look forward to hearing from you,

Craig
  • mtraffordmtrafford Posts: 1
    Hi Mike,

Thank you for posting on the Support Community.

This would ultimately depend on which type of Promethean ActivBoard you are using.

If you have a 100/300 series please refer to article 10401 on www.PrometheanKB.com.

If you have a 500 series ActivBoard it would not be possible to connect wirelessly using your ActivHub.

If you have any issues please let me know.

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Would an ActivHub work with a 2nd Generation ActivBoard to wirelessly connect a Surface Pro, or is there another way to connect wirelessly to a 2nd generation ActivBoard?
    Hi mtrafford,

Thanks for posting on the Support Community.

The ActivHub can only connect wirelessly on the ActivBoard 300PRO series. 
    You would need to connect to a 2nd Generation ActivBoard using the USB cable to your Surface Pro. 
    You would also need the display cable from the projector connecting to your Surface Pro so that you can display your image onto the ActivBoard. 

Kind regards,
    Adam