|

Actiview on Windows 10

Hello, 

We are having trouble with our Actiview devices working on Windows 10. I wanted to see if anyone else has had similar issues. 

The Actiview's worked fine on PC's running Windows 7 (so i know there's nothing wrong with the actiview). We are in the process of migrating over to Win10 and have had trouble getting the live image to display. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the actiview program (an older version 323 and the current version) the program loads but the live image is just a black screen. This is happening on 6-7 Actiview devices. I have a school that is full of these visual presenters so as of now I'm waiting to finish upgrading the rest of the school to W10 because it seems to be an issue with W10 compatibility. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks!

Answers

• dkkirbydkkirby Posts: 3

Actiview stopped working on 7 of our computers today. it turns out that they had all updated to Win10 ver 1607.  I have confirmed that Actiview is not working on the latest version of Windows 10. Trying to get more information from Promethean.  The screen is black but the computers can talk to the device (turn lamp on and off fir example).

I spoke with Promethean and there are no work-arounds or updates at this point to fix the issue. They said they are escalating the issue but you definitely want to give them a call and let them know this is important. Best regards.

The only way I could get this to work was to roll back to build 1511 of Windows 10.
  • Adam K PrometheanAdam K Promethean Posts: 1,554 admin
    edited September 2016
    Hi both, 

With regard to this issue, our second level team are aware of the reported issue and are carrying out some tests.

I will email you both separately to further troubleshoot this issue.

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Promethean Technical Support
    #Case 00672244

• vraxvrax Posts: 6
    dkkirby said:
    The only way I could get this to work was to roll back to build 1511 of Windows 10.
    This is the only way. 1607 seems to have an issue with cams/doc cams, supposedly a microsoft fix is in the works but no ETA.
  • cusicbcusicb Posts: 1
    When can we expect a fix for the issue regarding ActiViews and Windows 10?
  • Paul PrometheanPaul Promethean Posts: 176 mod
    Hi,

The issue is being caused by Windows 10 which is not officially supported with the ActiView but we are hoping that a future Windows update will fix this.

In the meantime we have had some success by following the steps below:

1. Disconnect the ActiView from your computer.
    2. Uninstall "ActiView", "Visual Presenter V2 Customer", and "Visual Presenter V2 Driver"
    3. Reboot your computer (ActiView still disconnected) and install the latest version of the ActiView software.
    4. Connect the ActiView, then turn it on and allow Windows to install, ensuring the ActiView software is closed.
    5. Open the ActiView software and it should now function correctly.

We found that the steps above worked in 80-90% of tests.

Please let us know if this is successful.

Kind Regards,
    Paul

• ctkcsctkcs Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the "future windows update" has implemented.

We implemented Win 10 this summer and I cannot get any of our Actiview  devices to work on any of our Win 10 computers after trying all the suggestions.

Any help would be appreciated
    Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

We don't currently have any update for when a supported version of the ActiView driver will be released however I have added you to the current enhancement, should a supported version be released we will contact you.

We would recommend trying the steps from Pauls previous email as we have tested this with numerous versions of the ActiView and have got this to work.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Adam
  • dwirthdwirth Posts: 4
    Would be great if this gets updated or at-least let us know the ETA. We updated all our Teacher laptops to Windows 10 and not a one does the Actiview work on the laptops. We currently have to use VGA from Camera to VGA slot 2 on the boards.

I tried Pauls steps, and even going as far as finding the drivers from the manufacturer of the camera inside the Actiview. Nothing displays, it detects the camera in the actiview, but its just a black screen.

Thanks for any update on this matter.
  • LoudonTechLoudonTech Posts: 2
    dwirth said:
    Would be great if this gets updated or at-least let us know the ETA. We updated all our Teacher laptops to Windows 10 and not a one does the Actiview work on the laptops. We currently have to use VGA from Camera to VGA slot 2 on the boards.

I tried Pauls steps, and even going as far as finding the drivers from the manufacturer of the camera inside the Actiview. Nothing displays, it detects the camera in the actiview, but its just a black screen.

Thanks for any update on this matter.
    AGREED!

I have a school full of these that are basically paperweights. 

Hi dwirthLoudonTech,

Thanks for posting.

I have no ETA on when a supported driver will be released however this is still with our development team.

On a further note, whilst this is being used on an unsupported operating system, I have tested different models of ActiView both within ActivInspire and this does appear to be working with no presence of the black screen appearing unlike the ActiView software.
    Have you tried to use this at all?

Thanks,
    Adam

• E. H.E. H. Posts: 12
    Reading this really worries me. I was going to purchase more than a dozen ActiView 324 but the new machines will all run on Windows 10. 
    Do you have at least a near approximation of releasing the working software?
    Hi E. H.

Thanks for posting.

I don't have an E.T.A when a supported version of the ActiView software will be released however I will pass your feedback to the development team.

Should a supported version be released for Windows 10 we will let you know.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Hi dwirthLoudonTech,

Thanks for posting.

I have no ETA on when a supported driver will be released however this is still with our development team.

On a further note, whilst this is being used on an unsupported operating system, I have tested different models of ActiView both within ActivInspire and this does appear to be working with no presence of the black screen appearing unlike the ActiView software.
    Have you tried to use this at all?

Thanks,
    Adam

I did not know Activinspire had actiview inside the program. Learned something new. However yes, I uninstalled actiview, and actiview driver and the customer thing. I restarted, and reinstalled actiview. Plugged in the actiview hardware, it installed a driver from windows update. I opened up Activi Inspire and hit tools -> Launch actiview and this... Attached. Black screen still. This is on any windows 10 device we have. Possibly a software conflict?

Windows 10 Pro x64 1607 Update.
    This is a AV322 Model. 
  • Hi dwirth,

Thanks for your reply.

Whilst this is still unofficially supported, I noticed we both have the same set up and model as yourself although we would recommend the below steps as we have had some success by following this:

2. Uninstall "ActiView", "Visual Presenter V2 Customer", and "Visual Presenter V2 Driver"
    3. Reboot your computer (ActiView still disconnected) and install the latest version of the ActiView software.
    4. Connect the ActiView, then turn it on and allow Windows to install, ensuring the ActiView software is closed.

We found that the steps above worked in 80-90% of our tests.

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Hi dwirth,

Thanks for your reply.

Whilst this is still unofficially supported, I noticed we both have the same set up and model as yourself although we would recommend the below steps as we have had some success by following this:

We found that the steps above worked in 80-90% of our tests.

Kind regards,
    Adam
    I followed that directly from Paul also and it did not work. I tried that before I tried the ActivInspire way. I even stated as such in a previous post.
    I guess since windows 10 (which has been out for 1.5 years) is not supported, there is not much we can do. We will continue to use the VGA cable directly from the camera to the board, as that still works and does not rely on drivers.
  • We have Actview cameras in 12 computers in school and did an upgrade to windows 10 over the summer and now they don't work.

Our technician has tried the steps above but it didn't work. 

Just wondering if there is any fix to this yet, its been quite a while since the issue was raised?

• Hi MrDFraser

Our development team are still looking into the issue. 

We currently do not have a work around other than the steps my colleague has provided. 

Any updates will be released online. 

Thank you,

Craig 
  • Hi MrDFraser

Our development team are still looking into the issue. 

We currently do not have a work around other than the steps my colleague has provided. 

Any updates will be released online. 

Thank you,

Craig 
    Thanks Craig.  Does the version of Activ Inspire make a difference or is it all to do with the driver for Actview?
  • Hi MrDFraser,

We do recommend being on the latest version of ActivInspire as well as running all Windows updates. 

Michael
  • Hi MrDFraser,

We do recommend being on the latest version of ActivInspire as well as running all Windows updates. 

Michael

Thanks.  Will try that and post if I get any further forward.
    David

• Hi MrDFraser,

Thanks for your reply.

Let us know if this helps.

Kind regards,
    Adam
  • kilandkiland Posts: 7
    MrDFraser, or anyone else...have you had any success making the Actiview function properly with Windows 10?  I have followed all the steps on this message thread and still the camera won't work.  The software opens and the only buttons not grayed out are Power and Options.  After I click on Power, the whole window goes gray and I get the message that Actiview.exe has stopped working.  Incredibly frustrating.  I would like to use this in my classroom!  
  • kiland said:
    MrDFraser, or anyone else...have you had any success making the Actiview function properly with Windows 10?  I have followed all the steps on this message thread and still the camera won't work.  The software opens and the only buttons not grayed out are Power and Options.  After I click on Power, the whole window goes gray and I get the message that Actiview.exe has stopped working.  Incredibly frustrating.  I would like to use this in my classroom!  
    Hi kiland and thanks for posting.

Have you tried launching the ActiView from within ActivInspire?  Could you also confirm the model of ActiView that you are using?

Once we have this information we will advise you further.

Kind Regards,
    Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for your message.  I have tried launching ActiView from within ActivInspire without success.  The model of my ActiView is AV322.  
  • Hi kiland

Can you confirm what happens when you try to launch the ActiView with ActivInspire? Do you get any error messages or just a blank screen? 

Did you manage to install the latest version of ActivInspire? 

We look forward to hearing from you, 

Craig 
    Craig, I have the most recent version of ActivInspire installed.  When I try to launch the ActiView through ActivInspire, the window opens and it is completely black. I would like to add that every once in a great while, the ActiView works correctly.  As long as I leave it powered on and the ActiView software open, it continues to work fine.  However, if I close it or restart the computer, etc. and try to open it again, it most likely won't work.  
  • Hello Kiland

Can you please ensure that all Windows updates have been applied to the computer
    with which this issue is occuring.

Also, if 'WebTablet Netscape Plugin' or 'WebTablet IE
    Plugin' are listed in Windows’ programs and Features list, remove them and re-start
    the computer.

You might also want to try the following, if you haven't done that already.

3. Reboot your computer (ActiView connected and turn on) and install the latest version of the ActiView software.
    4. Allow Windows to install, ensuring the ActiView software is closed.
    5. Open the ActiView software and let us know if it works.

Windows is fully updated.  I don't have WebTablet Netscape Plugin' or 'WebTablet IE'.  I have done the five steps you listed.  Do you have any other suggestions to make the ActiView work with Windows 10?  It seems to have a conflict.  Other Promethean users have similar problems.  Thanks.