|

ActivDriver for MAC OS sierra

Dear Promethean Team

I am testing MAC OS Sierra on our Macbooks that we usually create a base image for including a teacher account, student account and an admin account. After imaging a Macbook with Netrestore we delete the according accounts to hand it over to either a teacher or a student. 

I have installed the latest Promethean ActivDriver 5.14.14 (for El Capitan) using the local Admin account. The board actually is being recognized when plugging the laptop to the Interactive Whiteboard using USB cable connection.
However, The board is NOT being recognized with all the other local accounts!

I wonder because the current driver comes as an app. And why does it only works with the account you have installed it with?
I cannot re-install the driver from another local account because the laptop is "already using the newest version".

In general I would like to complain about the driver development. Since OS "Leopard" Promethean does NOT manage it to provide a working driver for the according new operating system published by Apple!!! There is a developer program in place - why not using it like all the other software vendors?

Sigh... So when to expect the OS sierra driver? Can it already be downloaded in beta status? (like we had to do it with El Capitan before)

Thank you for your understanding!
Uwe

Comments

• Hi Uwe,

Thanks for your post.  Please be assured that we are working hard to update our software to fully support the new apple OS.  Please keep checking the main support page for any updates.

Kind Regards,
    Paul

Promethean Technical Support
  • Uwe336Uwe336 Posts: 16
    Hi Paul

Thank you for your kind reply! I am as sure about your team's effort on this as I am appreciating your work. However, I don't understand why it takes weeks to get a working driver for a new Apple OS. Are there such big difficulties after the beta version used in the Apple developer program?
    I remember with El Capitan we had to wait months for a proper driver and struggling around with Apple SIP to make the driver work. That shouldn't be.

Paul, is there link you can provide guiding me to the overall information page regarding this case (might be interesting for people who will discover this thread in future)?
    Also: Can I subscribe anywhere to receive newest information about the upcoming Sierra driver?

Keep giving your best!
    Many regards,
    Uwe
  • jmferrelljmferrell Posts: 5
    Yeah, doubleplus upvote. Always disappointed with Promethean development. Any kind of timeline or alerts or anything would be welcome. You guys know Mac folks are inveterate early adopters, right? And folks buying new Macs are forced to use the new OS, like it or not. But it's mostly having not even the vaguest idea of a release date that's frustrating. I know it's not a good idea to predict release dates, but Q4? Q1 2017? Q2?
  • Hi there, 

Thanks for your posts.  We do appreciate this is frustrating however Apple have changed the way that the OS handles touch events with each of the last 3 OS releases, and these changes can vary between beta and final release.

We always avoid giving dates or even predictions to avoid disappointment, but the importance of this is recognised and we will do our best to get this out to you as soon as possible.  I will also ensure that we post in this thread as well as making the announcement on the main page when it is available for download.

Kind Regards,
    Paul

Now this is a kind step in direction of (more) transparency. Thank you, Paul!
  • jmferrelljmferrell Posts: 5
    Yes, thanks Paul. It's just nice to hear it's being worked on. I understand the frustration of last minute changes and the need to release solid updates. It's nice to hear *anything* to accompany a new OS release, even if it's just "Now that there's a final version, we're completing development blah blah blah." Thanks for the update.
  • tcolgctcolgc Posts: 1
    Thanks for weighing in on this Paul. I can tell you that I installed the most recent ActivDriver and ActivInspire software on my school laptop running macOS Sierra to test compatibility before deploying the software to teacher laptops. Everything seemed OK, but after calibrating the board I found that the Activ pens would not go beyond the right edge of an active flipchart. I could not move over and change tools or perform other tool bar actions. Please let me know what you think about this. I will definitely not update teacher laptops to Sierra until I know that ActivInspire will function properly.
  • pifgadgetpifgadget Posts: 1
    I confirm Activedriver is OK on my MacBook Pro mid-2012 under Sierra and works perfectly with OpenBoard, the free (and good) multiplatform soft for interactive boards.
  • Adam K PrometheanAdam K Promethean Posts: 1,554 admin
    Hi all,

Thanks for letting us know this information.

The team are still in the process of testing everything still and we hope that this is with their testing.

Thanks
    Adam
  • SaxophoneSaxophone Posts: 1
    Yup, waiting to use the newest driver and software with macOS Sierra (Version 10.12).

Thank you for your hard work, Paul, Adam, et al.

Chris
  • mikemalone62mikemalone62 Posts: 2
    I was wonder if there are any Activedrivers update for macOS Serra 10.12?

Mike
    Hi Mike,
    We haven't yet released a version of ActivDriver which supports 10.12 (Mac OS Sierra).
    As soon as we do, we will update you all.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind regards,
    Adam
    pifgadget said:
    I confirm Activedriver is OK on my MacBook Pro mid-2012 under Sierra and works perfectly with OpenBoard, the free (and good) multiplatform soft for interactive boards.
    Not if you have multiple users on your MacBook, doesn't it?
  • neilnatneilnat Posts: 9
    Ever since I updated to 10.12, touch events on my board are very laggy.  For example, when writing a x it will register the first stroke, but not the second stroke.  There is a period of time after pen is lifted up over which a new touch will not be recognized.  Tried with multiple pens with same result.  I was wondering if my board was getting old, but used a different computer with 10.11.4 and the same board/pen worked fine.  
  • GoliathGoliath Posts: 15
    neilnat said:
    Ever since I updated to 10.12, touch events on my board are very laggy.  For example, when writing a x it will register the first stroke, but not the second stroke.  There is a period of time after pen is lifted up over which a new touch will not be recognized.  Tried with multiple pens with same result.  I was wondering if my board was getting old, but used a different computer with 10.11.4 and the same board/pen worked fine.  
    Same exact thing happening here. Trying to cross a T or X or dot an i will result in the stroke not being recognized. Pen lags far behind. Reverting back to El 10.11.6 and there is no issue. Hopefully there will be an update soon. 
    Any news on an update for Sierra? 
  • Zoe PrometheanZoe Promethean Posts: 6 admin
    Hi everyone,

An official public version of  Mac OS Sierra 10.12.1 was released on Oct 24th.

Our initial testing indicates that the issue that prevented this OS from working with our interactive systems is fixed.  

We are in the process of doing a full QA of ActivDriver v5.14.21 against all of our current interactive systems and we will post an update on the Support Portal homepage to confirm once this has been completed. 

Thank you all for your patience in this matter.

edited October 2016
    I'm still getting the same penstroke lag issues after updating to 10.12.1. Had my hopes up for a while too. On the bright side, my students are enjoying my better handwriting as I have to write slower and more deliberately.
    Hi everyone,

An official public version of  Mac OS Sierra 10.12.1 was released on Oct 24th.

Our initial testing indicates that the issue that prevented this OS from working with our interactive systems is fixed.  

We are in the process of doing a full QA of ActivDriver v5.14.21 against all of our current interactive systems and we will post an update on the Support Portal homepage to confirm once this has been completed. 

Thank you all for your patience in this matter.

We just tested it on a 13" Mac Air on Sierra 10.12.1 here and have seen no improvements. Pen strokes are still not being recognized.
  • Paul PrometheanPaul Promethean Posts: 176 mod
    Hi Everyone, 

We appreciate all of you that have taken the time to post your feedback on this issue.  To help us iron out these issues, please could provide some information on your software and hardware as this will give us a much broader spectrum of data to work with.

1) What hardware are you using - please supply model number and firmware version?
    2) What is the full version number of your OS?
    3) What versions of ActivDriver and ActivInspire are you running?
    4) If applicable, is the issue the same with the digital pen?
    5) Does the issue happen outside of ActivInspire?

Thanks in advance to everyone who takes the time to provide this information.

Kind Regards,
    Paul

• A few weeks ago tested it on Mac with Sierra 10.12.1 and Pen strokes are not being recognized. When do you release a driver that works with Sierra? Our customer cant use the interactivity on several Activeboards.

Kind Regards
    Pär
    1. Serial number 1231f45f, Firmware V3.66Build 1 (pretty sure its 1st gen board) 2. MacOS 10.12.1 3. ActivDriver version 5.14.21, but it only shows 5.12.9 under control panel, ActivInspire v 2.4.66096 4. Only one type of pen 5. Glad you had me test it, seems like it's only in ActivInspire. Annotating on a powerpoint works seems to work. Updating ActivInspire now, will update when finished.
    Still same issues on ActivInspire v 2.8.66693
    Hi @neilnat

Thank you for letting us know this information.

Currently, ActivInspire isn't supported with Mac OS Sierra we will raise this with the software development team to review and hopefully release a supported version in the future.

@Parnorlandermlm
    Does this issue only occur within ActivInspire? Or is this when using any other programs on the Mac? 

Thanks,
    Adam
    Well, I hope they plan on releasing a supported version in the future too. This thread was created over a month ago. Can we at least get confirmation that Activinspire at least plans on supporting Sierra? Or is this something that can't be fixed?
    Hi Goliath,

We have raised this with the software development team although we do not have an ETA for when this will support Mac OS Sierra.

Thanks,
    Adam
    Hi Goliath,

We have raised this with the software development team although we do not have an ETA for when this will support Mac OS Sierra.

Thanks,
    Adam
    Thanks for the reply. Glad it'll be eventually supported. 
  • There are hundreds and hundreds of teacher in our school district that are unable to use their promethium boards for this same reasons that seems to come up every year when apple updates their operating system. Why do we have to wait for months before you upgrade your drivers?  All the other software manufactures are able to.  When are we going to hear that you have corrected this issue?  Might need to find another company that is with the times. 
  • Hello mikemalone62,

I understand your frustration and we are looking into the driver for Mac OS Sierra. We will, of course, release any updates as soon as we have them. 

Thank you for your continued patience. 

Craig 

• IsobusterIsobuster Posts: 29
    I think it's a shame not having finished building the driver for macOS Sierra. I think our 10 schools will not buy promethean boards again.
This discussion has been closed.