|

Pens aren't working for the activboard

jjonesjjones Posts: 7
edited October 2016 in Interactive Whiteboards
The flame changes colors when the teacher pens hover over the board, but the pens don't actually write on the board. 

Answers

• Hi,

Please try to calibrate the board - does that work?
    Also try with another pen of the same model.

If the issue still persists, please provide us the product code of the ActivBoard (NOT THE SERIAL NUMBER).

Thank you

Miguel
  • caverljcaverlj Posts: 4
    My pen is not connecting with the board. My pen is changing the red flame to blue but remains blue and does not offer calibration.
    Firmware?
    Product code: ABV595PRO
  • MolesworthMolesworth Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with one of our boards. My computer works fine on our others, but the pen won't work on one of them. Flame symbol remains red and turns blue when you hover with the pen to calibrate. product code on mine is ABV378PRO.
  • Adam K PrometheanAdam K Promethean Posts: 1,258 admin
    Hi both,

When the flame is red, this usually means that the connection (over USB) is not detected by the computer.
    Please can you check the current cabling.
    Preferably, we would recommend bypassing any wallboxes, connectivity panels or cable extensions that are in use, and connect directly to the ActivBoard.
    Please connect to the USB hub where the 3 meter USB cable is shown on the below diagram for the 500series ActivBoard:
    https://support.prometheanworld.com/article/?kb=1086

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Promethean Technical Support
    Case 679710

I apologize for my late response. I followed your instructions. Sound works on the board and the red flame will turn to blue with the pen, so I know that the USB cable is working. My pen still does not want to calibrate.

The only change made from the it was working has been a new computer. Active Inspire was loaded via your website.

Thanks

John

• Hi caverlj,

The issue is you have no connection. Your computer does not see the ActivBoard connected (indicated by the red LED). 

Can you please ensure you have the very latest driver installed (5.12.21). The latest driver can be downloaded from the below link: 

https://support.prometheanworld.com/product/activdriver

Note: The current driver will need to be removed prior to installing the latest and the USB cable will need to removed. 

I know the LED flame changes colour but the USB cable can still be causing the issue, iff possible please try a known working cable. 

Please let us know the results.

Craig 
  • jjonesjjones Posts: 7
    Thank you for the reply, Miguel. I've done that. In fact, I've tried several different pens of the same model on my board as well as taking my pens to a coworkers board to try and neither thing worked. 
  • Adam K PrometheanAdam K Promethean Posts: 1,258 admin
    Hi jjones

Thank you for your reply.

With regard to the issue raised, please can you let us know the model of the product you are using (excluding serial number)? 
    What colour is the flame?
    If you connect direct to the ActivBoard using USB bypassing any wallboxes, connectivity panels, or faceplates does this help?
    If your ActivBoard has built in speakers, does sound play through the speakers?

Please can you also let us know what operating system and version of ActivDriver installed?
    To find the version of driver being used, please refer to the below article:
    https://support.prometheanworld.com/article/?kb=1012

Thanks,
    Adam
  • agaaga Posts: 5
    Hi Adam,

I am having the same problem, could you help me please?

I have tried with another pen from another classroom and it works straight away so I think the issue I am having is with the pen.

Product code: PRM-AB2-01
    The flame is white.

Regards,
  • Hello aga,

If a known working ActivPen resolves the issue this would confirm your ActivPen is faulty and needs to be replaced. The ActivPen has 12 months warranty, from the model of ActivBoard you have it is unlikely that is it still covered under the warranty. 

You will need to speak to a Promethean reseller to purchase a replacement. 

Please let us know if you need any further support.

Craig 
  • Hi aga,

Note that we don't deal with Amazon sellers, therefore we cannot confirm if they are reliable or not.
    However the picture of the product does show the ActivPen3 which is the correct model for your ActivBoard.

If in doubt please contact the company where the ActivBoard was purchased from.

Thank you

Miguel
  • AhmedAhmed Posts: 3
    Hi everbody
    I have a problem with my Promethean active pen , suddenly the active pen stop working  . i tried many other active pens and it is working correctly on the same board . and i tried my pen with other board but still not working.  My active pen is out of date ( expired ) .
    What can i do ? 
    Hi aga,

Note that we don't deal with Amazon sellers, therefore we cannot confirm if they are reliable or not.
    However the picture of the product does show the ActivPen3 which is the correct model for your ActivBoard.

If in doubt please contact the company where the ActivBoard was purchased from.

Thank you

Miguel
    Thanks Miguel, I ordered one from Amazon and I trusted the reviews... lets see how it goes
    Ahmed said:
    Hi everbody
    I have a problem with my Promethean active pen , suddenly the active pen stop working  . i tried many other active pens and it is working correctly on the same board . and i tried my pen with other board but still not working.  My active pen is out of date ( expired ) .
    What can i do ? 
    I have ordered this from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Promethean-Activpen-3-stylus-pens/dp/B003B4VGC8/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1487251301&sr=1-1&keywords=Activpen

• yourmomyourmom Posts: 4
    at my school the light at the top left is not even on, and the pens will not work on the board. We can still use the board to show things though, we just cant use the pens :/
    Answer me please, our school doesn't have very much money, we need to figure it out. We cant afford to buy a whole new board. :'( :'( :'( :s
    Is my board ove.
    no nevermind

• Hello yourmom,

What version of the ActivDriver do you have installed? https://support.prometheanworld.com/article/?kb=1012

Many times when the ActivDriver is not installed this will result in the flame not being lit. 

What model of ActivBoard are you using? This article will help locate that information https://support.prometheanworld.com/article/?kb=1088

How are you connected to the board? There should be a USB cable going from the computer to the board. Please ensure that this is properly connected. If you have the correct ActivDriver installed, please test with a single length of USB cable not longer than 9 feet. 

Thanks
    Michael
    Promethean Support

yourmom said:
    Answer me please, our school doesn't have very much money, we need to figure it out. We cant afford to buy a whole new board. :'( :'( :'( :s

I would say also update the USB drivers.

Based in my experience I would check:

- Power is on (try with other power adaptors from another board if you are not sure)
    - Check that the USB cable is plugged properly.

If that's ok:

- Make sure you have the proper USB drivers installed (most of the times for me from Intel).

And like Michael suggest:

- Be sure you have the correct ActivDriver isntalled.
  • telumetartelumetar Posts: 6
    edited on August 11 2017
    Hey,
    I am the IT manager of a school and two of our classrooms are using this particular board while the others are using some modern ones.
    I am having issues with two boards. The one was in use the whole year with no issues and the other one was just a back up and was stored and used in case of emergency (presentations etc)

The problem is that the Pen works when it comes to movement but fails when it comes to clicking. The movement is recognisable by the board and the computer meaning that i can see the cursor moving on windows but whenever I left click it fails. The flame icon is always pinkish and whenever I try to calibrate it it becomes blue and doesn't work. What I have done thus far?
    1)Of course I've been using the latest official drivers for my boards
    2) Tried second pen , didn't work
    3)Tried an alternative power plug with an other cable just in case there was some power fail, didn't work
    4) Tried an other laptop and a desktop, didn't work
    5) Tried a second usb cable from the board to the computers, didn't work
    6)Tried the back up board ,didn't work on either pen / power cord / laptop
    7)Tried an other power/outlet strip 

Seriously is it possible that something went terribly bad with the latest drivers? Am in despair 
  • For this instance, @telumetar, we would want to confirm some things:
    • The model of ActivBoard to which the computers are being connected
    • The version of ActivDriver installed on those computers
    • Whether or not any hardware was recognized by the computer while connected to the Boards over USB.
    • If the Boards were detected, what version of firmware is listed in the ActivManager's Control Panel with the Boards? 
    • If the USB connection in place between the computer and the Panel uses any additional hardware (e.g. an extension cable or booster, a wallbox, an external USB hub or docking station), please instead try making a direct connection between the computer and the USB port on the board using only a single 3m (or shorter) length of A-to-B USB cable.  While connecting in this manner, is the ActivBoard recognized by the computer and are you able to calibrate?

• We have had the same problem recently. (pen can change the color of the flame, but not activate the calibration).  We have solved the problem by inserting a HUB reducing the USB3 port to an USB2.
  • Hi EvaDanielsen,

Thank you for your input!

Miguel
  • telumetartelumetar Posts: 6
    edited on August 17 2017
    Hello,
    Sorry for the delayed post but I was absent from school the past few days.
    Anyway let me answer your questions one by one
    1) Both of the boards are the 2nd generation activeboards (those with the rounded corners). I can give you product codes and serial numbers for both of them ofcourse if asked.
    2)Activboard driver on both computers is V8.04 Build 4 (usb() V 5.8.46.3 , which is the latest one I suppose
    3)Yes whenever I plugin a cable it is recognisable by the computer
    4) Version 5.16.5
    5)The usb cable is less than 3m and no extention is used . In fact I've used two different cables for this purpose on two different computers but didn't work.

Oh and I followed Eva's suggestion and didn't work either on usb 2 or 3 
  • Hi telumetar,

Thank you for your response.

Note that firmware 8.04 is not for 2nd generation boards, it seems you may have a 100 or 300 series board.

Please upgrade the firmware using the appropriate file in the link below:

https://support.prometheanworld.com/article/?kb=1038

Please let us know the outcome.

Thank you

Miguel

• This is the picture of the first board's info. I noticed that at the product code ends in 64E100 while on the second is pretty much the same besides the 64 which is 78 "78E100" . I think that this stands for the number of inches thats why I thought that my board is the 2nd generation one and not the 100. 
    I deleted the old drivers though , installed the drivers for the 100 board 64 bit version , I upgraded the firmware but nothing happened except that instead of turning just blue when it comes to the flame it occasionally becomes cyan as well . Should i reinstall the drivers of the 2nd generation and upgrade firmware ?