|

Activboard onboard speakers not working via USB

When the board is plugged in via USB, it mutes the onboard sound card on the PC.  We have to plug in a 3.5mm audio lead from the headphone jack on pc to the line in on the board.  I've updated the driver to the latest version, tried disabling the onboard sound card too.  When sound card is disabled, the board is showing up as the default audio device, but still not getting any sound.

Comments

• Adam K PrometheanAdam K Promethean Posts: 1,464 admin
    Hi,
    Thanks for posting on the Support Community.

It is possible that if the sound has been muted on the computer with the USB cable of your ActivBoard connected, that this option will stay when you reconnect the USB cable.
    Please can you go to your Playback devices, and look for Promethean USB audio, ensure that this isn't muted.
    If you don't see this listed when your ActivBoard is connected, please let me know.

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Promethean Technical Support
  • harriesaharriesa Posts: 4
    Hi Adam,
    Thanks for the reply.

There is a red cross over the speaker icon, which would suggest that the sound is muted.  However, when i click on the speaker icon, the troubleshooting window opens.  When troubleshooting has finished running, it tells me to enable to on board sound card.
    The built in speakers used to work via usb, until we upgraded the pc.

Thanks
    Ash
    Hi Ash,

Thanks for letting us know this bit of information.

Please could you test another computer, preferably one that works with another ActivBoard of the same model?
    Does the same issue occur?
    This is just to see if this is computer specific or possibly the ActivBoard at fault.

Kind regards
    Adam
    Hi Adam,

The board works when it is plugged into a laptop which isnt on our domain.  Does the board require any additional software for the speakers to function properly?

Thanks
    Ash
  • Hi,

All you need to make the sound work via USB is the ActivDriver.
    If the sound works fine with another computer it suggests there may be a conflict between the ActivDriver and another component on the "original" computer.

Can you confirm what is the version of the ActivDriver?

Thank you

Miguel
    Hi,

The version of the ActivDriver is 5.14.14

Thanks
    Ash
    Hi,

Just to follow up, I believe that you have contacted us directly on Case 00678271. We will help assist over email to best support this email.

Please reply back to the Promethean Technical Support email (leaving the subject line the same).

Thanks,
    Adam
  • DaveBDaveB Posts: 1
    My issue with sound is when we play a DVD on the laptop we get no sound when connect to the board. However we do have sound when not using a DVD??
    Hi DaveB,

Thanks for posting.

This is usually related to the sound settings on the computer that needs to be changed. Please could you check that Promethean USB audio is the default sound depending if you are using a 300/500 series ActivBoard.

If this is set, please check for any available sound driver updates. 

Does this issue happen if you are logged in with a local admin user on the computer? 
    Sometimes this can be an issue with permissions on the network, if you test a computer that isn't on the network, does it work?

Thanks,
    Adam

• I am receiving the following error when trying to plug up my USB cord on my Active Board "USB Devices Disabled - unplug the device using too much power to re-enable USB devices."
  • Hi nataleesinger,

Can you please confirm what is your operating system and model of Promethean hardware? (do not post any serial numbers).

Do you have the same problem if you try another USB port and USB cable?

Thank you

Miguel
  • thatak20thatak20 Posts: 1
    Miguel
    I'm having a problem with my PC(Dell 6230). The video connection is working well but the audio doesn't work. The  Active Board always answer "No source found". Anther PC is OK. Could you please help me with the trouble?
    Hi thatak20,

Thanks for posting on the Support Community.

The issue you are experiencing, does audio play through the amplifier if you connect a 3.5mm Audio cable?

On your Dell 6230, do you have the ActivDriver installed? 
    Also, are you able to see Promethean USB Audio as a sound device on your Playback Devices?

Thanks,
    Adam

• We have an Activeboard and the power button is clear and not green or red on the audio section, it is also not connecting via USB so the board is not interactive. The board recently had drivers and software installed and was working fine, I have tried to check the power connections at the back of the board but unless the board is removed it is hard to get to, I think it sounds like something has blown one of the power adapters as I am guessing that this would power both the Audio and USB? Unless we arrange for someone to come out and have a look at the board, is there anything simple that we may have over looked?
    Hi georgecarey,

Thank you for your post on our Support Community.

As the power button on the left hand side of the ActivBoard is clear and has no green or red LED appearing, this would potentially indicate a fault with the power cable or power supply.

Firstly, please ensure that the ActivBoard is powered on from the mains and that the power cable is secure and not loose.
    If this is secure, the next step would be to test another power supply on the ActivBoard.
    Information on how to remove the PSU can be found on the link below:
    https://support.prometheanworld.com/article/?kb=1114

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,
    Adam