|

Epson Brightlink projector pen

I recently got an Epson Brightlink projector to use.  I had had a Promethean board, but after 6 years, my district decided to give me a newer set-up.  I have been able to use all of my old ActivInspire files BUT the pen that came with the projector is not fully operational.  When I use it to write on the board, it doesn't recognize my writing and often is very slow to respond.  The same pen works seamlessly with the Easy Interactive Software that came with the projector, but it won't work well with ActivInspire.  I am able to use my hand to write with this new projector, so I am still able to function as a whole.  I would just like a way to make the pens work too.

I talked with an expert from Epson and they said it was an issue with Promethean.  So, how do I solve it?

Answers

• Adam K PrometheanAdam K Promethean Posts: 1,709 admin
    Hi Remy,

What version of ActivInspire is in use? This can be checked by opening ActivInspire>Help>About (Windows Users) or ActivInspire>About ActivInspire (Mac Users).

If you are using an older version prior to 2.8, please upgrade to the latest version.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Promethean Technical Support
    Case 679712
  • Remy StrappRemy Strapp Posts: 9
    I already have the latest version of ActivInspire.  What else might cause this problem?
    Thanks,
    Remy
    Hi Remy,

If you open ActivInspire, and click on File>Settings and go to Dual Mode ActivBoard, chang ethe Touch Interoperability to OS Compatible. Does this help?

Thanks,
    Adam

That did not help.  I teach math and as soon as I write an = sign, the pen goes berserk.  Any other ideas?  The Epson company (that made the pen) thinks it is a settings issue in ActivInspire, but so far I cannot find it.
    Hi Remy,

Thanks for posting. 
    It could be an issue between ActivInspire along with the Epson interactive projector, as ActivInspire is designed around Promethean hardware. 
    However, we will do our best to help fix this issue.

Could you provide a screenshot of the current settings within ActivInspire under Dual mode ActivBoard? 
    Could you provide a screenshot of what happens when you try and draw on the ActivInspire software?
    Could you also confirm the full version of ActivInspire within Help>About
    Does another computer have this same issue on ActivInspire with this Epson interactive projector?

Thanks,
    Adam
    Promethaen Technical Support

Here you go.

No other person in my school is having this issue.  But, other teachers are using different interactive software (Smart or Interactive Whiteboard) and having different issues (most of them have pens that work and are experiencing trouble with the finger touch features). 

I have always used ActivInspire since I had a Promethean board.  But, when my school replaced it this year to update the technology, they gave me the Epson Bright link Projector which claims to be fully capable with all interactive software.

See below for two of the screen shots you requested.  I have also attached a video of me trying to write with the Epson pen so you can see the issues I am having.

Hi,

Thanks for posting on the Support Community.

It appears that the options which are showing as 'back' and 'drag drop' are options not specific to ActivInspire. 

I would recommend disabling any multi touch gestures which may be from the Epson software/drivers and also the Windows and testing to see if this helps.

Thanks,
    Adam
  • dootballdootball Posts: 4
    Did this ever get resolved ? 
    I have just had an Epson interactive projector , which writes perfectly on it's own free mode , but becomes really jerky when trying to use active inspire. It works fine for joined up writing , but it seems to be when I am trying to write mathematics it can't keep up.
    Jo. 
    In fact I see you have recently announced a partnership show it must be fixed! How do I do it? 
  • Hello dootball,

What version of ActivInspire are you using? https://support.prometheanworld.com/article/?kb=1070

Could you provide a screenshot of the current settings within ActivInspire under Dual mode ActivBoard? 
    Could you provide a screenshot of what happens when you try and draw on the ActivInspire software?
    Does another computer have this same issue on ActivInspire with this Epson interactive projector?

Thanks,
    Michael
    Promethean Support
  • Hello dootball:

The problem was never resolved for me.  I had to simply not use the pen that came with my Epson Projector.  Finger writing was still do-able, so I have just resorted to that.

Remy
    Good afternoon , thanks for the reply. 
    Here is an example of what is happening : 

You can clearly see the it really does not like equals signs and won't pick them up at all , it is also making the curly x's look straight. 

I am using version 2.8 of inspire. 

This is what is used to look like on my old board : 

(I couldn't find an example of solving a whole equation I had saved.) 

Here are the duel mode settings

We have only just had the new projectors installed, and I think everyone else has already given up with using active inspire software. 

Thanks Jo. 
  • Hello @dootball ,

Does this behavior also present when using the projector's pens to operate other software used on the computer, such as MS Paint?

Within ActivInspire, please try toggling the 'Touch Input Handling' setting to Touch and ActivPen.  We would also recommend updating ActivInspire to its latest version (2.9, as of this post); that update can be downloaded from its download page on Promethean Support.

Can you also confirm for us which model of Epson Brightlink projector is in use and the operating system on the computer used with the projector?
    EB695Wi is the model of projector. 
    The computer is running windows 7 professional . 
    Updating and changing to 'touch and Actvipen' has made a small difference. 
    I have attached another screen shot : 
    The red writing shown is done through active inspire , the black writing is done using the software which comes as default.  You can see it's better , but it won't pick up equals / add / divide signs quickly enough. 
    Both were done at the same speed , pen etc. 

Let me know what else I can try. Thanks Jo. 
    Hi dootball,

Thanks for your reply.

I will follow up with an email to yourself regarding these issues.

Kind regards,
    Adam
  • I too am having similar issues to dootball. If the pen movement is nice and slow the projected image is perfect, but if you write at normal speed some motions are not picked up, and curved motions are converted to straight lines. I am using the latest version of ActivInspire (2.10.66827) andthe OS is Windows 10 - Education 64 bit.

Can you assist me please?
  • Hi BrianTech,

For the issue that you are experiencing, whilst ActivInspire is designed to work on Promethean Hardware, it has been known for this to work with some third party hardware such as interactive projectors however this may be a matter of testing a few settings and combinations.

Where we have previously mentioned about changing the Touch Input handling under File>Setting>Dual Mode ActivBoard it may be worth testing the different options and also amending the touch interoperability between OS Compatible and Default to see if this helps.

Do you also have the Promethean ActivDriver installed on your computer?
    If you haven't got this installed, I would recommend installing this to see if this helps.
    This can be downloaded from the below link:
    https://support.prometheanworld.com/product/activdriver

I hope this information helps, should you still experience issues this may be down to the compatibility between the third party hardware and ActivInspire.

Thank you,
    Adam
  • We were experiencing this "lag" in our district as well. We are using ActivInspire and Epson 685wi projectors. In order to fix it we changed the "Pen Operation Mode" to "Ubuntu Mode". This setting is under Easy Interactive Function\PC Interactive. We are using Windows 10 Education 64-bit. It's weird but it worked.