|

My promethean will not turn on.

I have been using my Promethean board successfully at least since Spring 2011. My board is labeled "ActiveBoard" and "Activsound 100", with Product Code: ABV387S306 on it.  In August 2016, there was a popping noise and it suddenly shut down in the middle of a class.

1) I tried unplugging, waiting 12 seconds, and replugging. No change.
2) I turned power to screen off and then on with the remote. The green light came on, the fan would spin, then stop, then spin, then stop, then the red light would flash, then steady red light, no screen.
3) I went to see our tech advisor, Mr. Phillips, and he said to check the color of the flame, which appeared white.
4) I went online to see if I could find any troubleshooting guides.  It said to try restarting computer.  I restarted, flame turned purple.
5) Troubleshooting guide said to unplug the board for 30 seconds then replug and try to turn on.  I did.  Now flame stayed purple.  On the top piece: The green light came on, the fan would spin, then stop, then spin, then stop, then the red light would flash, then steady red light, no screen.

The light bulb had been recently replaced. The tech advisor said maybe the machine was dead.  He said he would order a part.  I waited 6 weeks while supposedly parts were coming in.  I tried to get it to restart multiple times, to no avail.  Finally in October, Mr. Phillips left a message on my whiteboard that they Promethean was fixed.  It worked for about a month, then it shut down again for a day in the beginning of November.  Then mysteriously the next day it was working again.  I asked Mr. Phillips what the difference was.  He said he didn't know what is changing for it.

Today again: The green light came on, the fan would spin, then stop, then spin, then stop, then the red light would flash, then steady red light, no screen.  Now Mr. Phillips says "There are lots of machines in the building with this issue.  They're moody.  We don't know why... maybe they are just old.  The school might replace them with Dell projectors and call it good."

I have found interactive whiteboards to be far superior to a simple projector, so please tell us what else can be done to make our whiteboards work again.  I pulled out the filter and dusted it, checked to make sure it wasn't overheated, unplugged and replugged... Nothing is turning my whiteboard on and I very much rely on it to teach.  Please help.

Best Answer