|

PC loses ActivPanel (APT4-75) as a sound device

We have had two 75" ActivPanles installed and every so often, at least once a week, the PC loses the screen as an audio device.

Normally a restart resolves this, however some times we are having to restart the PC with the ActivPanel disconnected.

The ActivPanels are connected via display port to HDMI connectors included with the ActivPanel

Any advice on how we can resolve this or any suggestions?

Thanks

Jonathan.

Answers

• Hello Jonathan Naismith,

Thank you for reaching out via the support community.

Please tell us a little more about your computer. What operating system are you using?

When the audio drops, are you able to select the panel as a playback device?

Are you still getting an image when this happens?

Does reseating the cable resolve this issue?

Thanks
    Michael
    Promethean Support
  • HP PC running Windows 7. Using both display ports for PC monitor and ActivPanel.
    When the PC loses the panel as an audio device there is no way to reconnect it. The PC does not see the panel as an audio device.
    Removing and reinserting the cable does not resolve the problem. A restart is the only solution.
    Sometimes the panel will not display the PC at all, again restarting will normally resolve this, however some times the cable needs to be removed, the pc restarted and then attached the cabling again.

We had two ActivPanels installed at the same time and both seem to give this issue intermittently.

Thanks

Jonathan.

• Adam K PrometheanAdam K Promethean Posts: 2,146 admin
    Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your reply.

With regard to this issue, please can you test a computer that does not require the display port adapter and use just a standard HDMI cable directly to the ActivPanel and see if the audio drops?
    It is unlikely that the same issue would occur on both of the ActivPanels, it will most likely be some form of the cabling set up/computer settings that would be affecting the sound to drop.
    What is the computer doing when the sound drops? For example, is there a video being played? 

Thanks,
    Adam
    Promethean Technical Support
  • OlaOla Posts: 1
    Hi,

I experience the same issues with the boards. We have close to 50 of them. All setup on HDMI, wins 7 PC. I have tried connecting directly rather than face plate and no solutions. I hope you guys can acknowledge this problem and come up with a solution. Thanks

Ola
  • Adam K PrometheanAdam K Promethean Posts: 2,146 admin
    Hi Ola,

Thanks for posting, so we can look into this further can you help to answer some of the questions below so we can get a better understanding.

Please could you let us know the model number of your ActivPanel?

Are all 50 ActivPanels experiencing the same issue where the sound is dropping? 
    Please can you let us know at what point you are loosing sound? 
    When you loose sound what is shown within the computers Playback Devices?

How long is the HDMI lead, and does this go into any adapters/converters?

Kind regards,
    Adam
  • hbrown13hbrown13 Posts: 2
    Howdy! 

Unfortunately, myself and my department are having the same issues. We have the Lenovo Yoga 400 UltrabookThinkPad running Windows 8 connected to the Promethean ActivPanel 65" through the ThinkPad Onelink + Doc using HDMI and USB touch.
    In my room, in particular, there is another teacher who floats into my room, in the morning before she comes in my sound will normally work, but after her class when we have switched out our laptops, my computer will no longer register the board. I've looked at playback devices to try to set the Promethean board to default, but it is nowhere to be found even when you right click and choose "disabled" and "disconnected" devices. Even if the sound is not working, we are able to have other functionalities, such as touch (sometimes disabled for some reason) and picture on duplicate or extend. 
    We have had our tech guys in multiple rooms just about every single day to the point where now it is disrupting class and we are not able to teach the way we were expecting and had planned for the day.
    Please come up with a solution to this as it is not fair to our kids.                     
  • Hello hbrown13,

If you bypass the Onelink and connect directly to the panel, are you now able to get sound? 

Does turning the panel off and back on have any impact on the ability to play sound?

Please ensure that all applicable device drivers are up to date on that computer. 

Thanks,
    Michael
    Promethean Support
  • hbrown13hbrown13 Posts: 2
    None of what you mentioned works, we have reimaged the laptop as well. Still no sound. All drivers up to date. 
  • Hello hbrown13,

We have sent you an email to address this issue more directly.

Thanks,
    Michael
    Promethean Support
  • gbroomfieldgbroomfield Posts: 2
    Hi

I to have had problem with HP G450 G3 laptops and audio problem.
    I did find an upgrade to the laptop bios; using the HP Laptop, graphics and audio drivers, not the windows version, resolved most problems.

I have one screen with audio and touch problem, reported this problem to support and the fix was to updating the screen software.

The screen is working ok now

Hope this helps

Graham

• I am having a similar issue to Hbrown13. However mine is with just the sound. I have reinstalled Windows, updated all drivers, BIOS, Windows updates and Dock firmware.  We are using the AP4-70 with a Lenovo E550 connected through a Lenovo Onelink Pro Dock.  I am curious if there was a resolution to hbrown13's issue?
  • Hi J_Reeves,

Thanks for posting.
    I've had a look at the outcome of the direct email but there was no reply.

If you disconnect the laptop from the dock and use a single HDMI cable to the ActivPanel, do you still experience sound issues? 

Kind regards,
    Adam