|

Replaced with a blank page

Hi,

I've just tried opening a flipchart and it's told me that there was an error loading the page and as such it has been replaced with a blank page. There are 195 pages and 4 have survived. The file details still show it as 61,555kb however the page browser is blank for the remaining 191 pages. If I click a page, it repeats the 'blank page' message. Is there any way to recover this file?

FYI - I was trying to back up my files this evening when I received a message saying the pathway name was too long and so I cancelled the back up. I've since tried opening the above flip chart (which I assume copied over successfully as the size of the original matches the backup). Whilst I don't know if this is relevant I thought it may be helpful.

Many thanks

Will

Answers

• Adam K PrometheanAdam K Promethean Posts: 1,986 admin
    Hi Will,

From what you've described, I believe this is an issue with corrupt flipcharts - it's just a matter of determining what's causing the corruption and/or preventing it from happening moving forward.

This is in our experience something that typically happens when a flipchart is saved. There were improvements made to the way the software saves flipcharts some time ago, so I want to ensure you're relatively up to date. Can you please check your current version of Activinspire in Help- About? The current version of ActivInspire is version 2.8 which can be downloaded from:
    https://support.prometheanworld.com/download/activinspire.html

Can you please also confirm where you're saving your flipcharts- For example, are you saving them to your desktop? To a network drive? To a thumb drive? Sometimes if a thumb drive is not disconnected properly or if there's a connection issue when saving to a network drive the file won't save properly.

Does the flipchart appear to work from the back up copy or do you have backed up copies from different computers/locations that appear to work?

We'd suggest updating to the latest version of Activinspire and saving to the hard drive, then transferring wherever you need first and foremost. If the issue still persists from there, we would suggest to look more closely at your temp folders and clear this. 
    You can click on your Windows icon and search for %TEMP%, select all the available files (ensure you have all software closed) and delete this. A few files will appear with notifications that they can't be deleted because they are in use which is normal, just skip this and then restart your computer.

We expect any changes will not help flipcharts already affected, but let us know if following these suggestions help.

Thanks,

Adam

Promethean Technical Support

• SueTechieSueTechie Posts: 1
    This has also happened to me twice on a 10.11 macbook.  Opened the flipchart and received the message, "There was an error loading the page, it has been replaced by a blank page"
    The flipchart becomes empty, unrecoverable, and unusable.

Any idea why this is happening?  Files are saved to the desktop, never on an external drive.  I have ten years worth of flipcharts that have worked fine up until these two corrupt flipcharts in the last two weeks.

Something that has changed on this macbook is that it was updated to 10.11 two months ago and now uses an Active Directory mobile account to login, rather than a local login, but files are saved locally to the desktop, not to a server volume.

Thanks for any assistance.
  • Adam K PrometheanAdam K Promethean Posts: 1,986 admin
    Hi SueTechie,

Thank you for your reply.

If you create a brand new local admin account, move one of the flipcharts to a "public" folder and attempt to access it with the new user what happens?

It could be possible that some permissions on the Mac have changed which could be causing this. 

Kind regards,
    Adam
  • I just lost a flipchart I've been working on all weekend. I've saved it each time I've taken a break because I wanted to be sure I didn't lose it. The last time I opened it after taking a break I got this memo about replacing the page with a blank one. Then I lost every single page but the very last one! Please help.  :'(
  • Hi patterlk,

Thanks for posting on the Support Community.

It is unlikely that the content can be recovered once the flipchart has become corrupt unless you have a backed up copy of this particular flipchart.
    We have information on the below link which can help reduce the risk of corrupt flipcharts, please take a look:
    https://support.prometheanworld.com/article/?kb=1562

Kind regards,
    Adam