|

Anyone else having trouble with the latest update for ActivInspire giving an Error 1603 message?

Frustrating.  The old version of the software is gone from my computer after trying to install what seemed like a routine update.  My system admins can't solve the problem.  Seems to be a software issue.  Has anyone else had this problem?  What is the solution because I have hundreds of flipchart files that I have no ability to access now.  Error 1603 pops up and installation rolls back afterwards.  NOT an administrator or SYSTEM permission/access problem either.  Tried that solution to no avail.  Please help!

Answers

• Adam K PrometheanAdam K Promethean Posts: 1,709 admin
    Hi shiversk,

Thanks for posting on the Support Community.

The error code that you have mentioned isn't anything that is specific to ActivInspire and is a generic error message for Windows operating systems.

Usually the cause of this can be because of one of the below:
    • Windows Installer is attempting to install an app that is already installed on your PC.
    • The folder that you are trying to install the Windows Installer package to is encrypted.
    • The drive that contains the folder that you are trying to install the Windows Installer package to is accessed as a substitute drive.
    • The SYSTEM account does not have Full Control permissions on the folder that you are trying to install the Windows Installer package to. You notice the error message because the Windows Installer service uses the SYSTEM account to install software.

I would recommend uninstalling ActivInspire and all of its contents (help files etc). Once uninstalled, restart the computer and install a fresh download of ActivInspire from the link below:
    https://support.prometheanworld.com/download/activinspire.html

Further information regarding this error can be found on Microsofts website, they do also have some suggestions:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/834484/you-receive-an-error-1603-a-fatal-error-occurred-during-installation-error-message-when-you-try-to-install-a-windows-installer-package

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Promethean Technical Support

• shiverskshiversk Posts: 3
    All of these solutions have been tried by my IT folks.  No success.  Can I have a link to the older version of the software so that I don't lose a decade of work?
  • TSHCSTechTSHCSTech Posts: 1
    edited on March 22 2017
    This is IT for shiversk. I really don't think this is a Windows Issue. He got this message when updating the software to a new version. We are not having any issues at all with any other software. We took a brand new out of the box hard drive and tried to install ActivInspire software with the same result. As I said...this wasn't an issue until he tried to update the ActivInspire software to a new version.
  • Adam K PrometheanAdam K Promethean Posts: 1,709 admin
    Hi TSHCSTechshiversk,

Thanks for your posts.

I will send you an email further so we can help to investigate the route of the issue.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• jwennjwenn Posts: 6
    Did you resolve this issue, as I am having the same problem upgrading from v2.7 to 2.10.
  • jwenn,
    The problem was resolved after about a week.  I tried all of the tech support fixes listed above but none worked.  I would start there.  Eventually the problem was solved by my IT folks and the Promethean IT folks and I have no idea what they did.  The good news is that this can be resolved.  The bad news is that I can't offer additional advice.  I'm so sorry.  Good luck!
  • Hi jwenn,

Thank you for posting on the Support Community.

Have you tried updating all of the Windows Updates on your computer? 

If not, please apply all updates and restart your computer then re-attempt to upgrade to ActivInspire 2.10.

If you still experience any issues, please ensure that the latest version of runtime is installed. 
    You can download the latest updates from Windows from the below link:
     https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows

Kind regards,
    Adam
  • chanorchanor Posts: 2
    my problem is i have some of the tools but not all and i can not get grids i have to go to reasorses and it is so anoying
  • Hi chanor,

I can see that you have posted on another thread too.

I've responded to you on the other thread located here.

Kind regards,
    Adam