|

ActivDriver+v5.16.7 OSX Sierra hangs and colored wheel appears when in extended screen mode

In OSX Sierra, ActiveInspire hangs while attempting to calibrate in extended screen mode.

In mirror mode, calibration appears fine. It is when the display is set to extended mode and a calibration is attempted then the dreaded colored spinning wheel appears and computer hangs.

Comments

• Hi Jojo,

Thank you for posting on the Support Community.

Please note that this won't be an ActivInspire fault as ActivInspire doesn't control the calibration.
    The ActivDriver however, is what manages the Calibration on the Promethean hardware, this itself does not support extended desktop calibration and this could be one of the reasons why you are experiencing issues.
    As a possible work around, you could try to move your screen displays so that the primary screen is what is displayed on the ActivBoard/ActivPanel and then on your Mac, this to be the secondary screen. 

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Promethean Technical Support

• JojoJojo Posts: 19
    edited on August 10 2017
    Unfortunately this will not work with a lot of our teachers who prefer to use extend mode because then they are unable to work with whatever they are doing (lesson plan, report, etc.) while having the class activity displayed on the extended screen for students to see on the Promethean board.

Mirroring is an option that works but then that prevents the teacher from working while displaying classroom activity/work on the extended screen on the Promethean board. However, a lot of teachers find this a hindrance to productivity.

This feature was never a problem in past versions. Unfortunatley with OSX Sierra now, we cannot use those old drivers.

I feel that instead of moving forward, Promethean is going backwards with the driver releases.

We have roughly over 200+ Promethean boards which management is now thinking of possibly junking and replacing with technology that is friendlier and more versatile for our teachers (some new technologies do not even require the use of a board) and stop buying from Promethean because of issues like these.
  • Hi Jojo,

So we can gather further information regarding this issue, please can you let us know the below information:
    -Model of ActivBoard/ActivPanel (Please don't provide the serial number)
    -Firmware version
    -ActivInspire version

Does this happen when you use another MacBook which has Mac OSX Sierra installed?

From this information we will be able to help try to replicate such issues you are experiencing so we can identify if this is a possible bug in the software or if this may be computer related faults as we haven't had this described fault reported elsewhere globally.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards,
    Adam
  • JojoJojo Posts: 19
    Hi Jojo,

So we can gather further information regarding this issue, please can you let us know the below information:
    -Model of ActivBoard/ActivPanel (Please don't provide the serial number)
    -Firmware version
    -ActivInspire version

Does this happen when you use another MacBook which has Mac OSX Sierra installed?

From this information we will be able to help try to replicate such issues you are experiencing so we can identify if this is a possible bug in the software or if this may be computer related faults as we haven't had this described fault reported elsewhere globally.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Model of ActiveBoard  : PRM-AB387-03
    Firmware Version        : 8.09 Build 4 (it apears this is the latest and last version for this perticular model)
    ActiveInpire Version    : Version v2.10.66827
    ActivDriver Version      : ActivDriver+v5.16.7  (for Sierra)

We do not use MacBooks with your software. We use desktop imacs for the teachers.

Our iMac Specs:

OS Sierra 10.12.1
    Imac (Retina 4K 21.5 inch, late 2015)
    Processor 3.1 Ghz Intel core i5
    8GB RAM 1867 Mhz DDR3
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536MB

• Hi Jojo,

Thanks for your reply.

I've tested this set up with ActivInspire and calibrating in extended desktop and haven't managed to replicate this particular fault that you've described.
    I will contact you by email to further investigate this issue.

Kind regards,
    Adam
  • neilnatneilnat Posts: 8
    I am having this exact issue as well on a Macbook running 12.12.6, just redownloaded and installed new drivers

Adam, you said "The ActivDriver however, is what manages the Calibration on the Promethean hardware, this itself does not support extended desktop calibration and this could be one of the reasons why you are experiencing issues."

Are you actually saying ActiveDriver does not support extented desktop calibration?  Was that reduction in functionality intentional?  I used it for at least two years without this problem.