|

ActivInspire failing to load - domain user logon

I am trying to run ActivInspire 2.11.66910 in Ubuntu 16.04. It opens correctly using local computer accounts ("default" user and manually added users). If I try to run it using a Windows Domain account, I get a "Segmentation Fault" as the flame splash screen is displayed. Below is the terminal output of the working account:

Unable to load library icui18n "Cannot load library icui18n: (icui18n: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)" 
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gail"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "atk-bridge"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "topmenu-gtk-module"
/usr/share/themes/Radiant-MATE/gtk-2.0/apps/mate-panel.rc:30: error: invalid string constant "scrollbar", expected valid string constant
Promethean: Open lock
Promethean: Global locking...
Promethean: Global locked...
Promethean: Initialise board state
Promethean: Global unlocking...
Promethean: Global unlocked...
Promethean: Unlocked count 0
Promethean: locked count 1
Promethean: Async for 0

Promethean: Loaded TPH Description V:d48 P:a I#:0 FR:5 |FR|:15 OR:4 |OR|:63 IR:3 |IR|:15.
Promethean: Loaded TPH Description V:d48 P:b I#:0 FR:7 |FR|:62 OR:6 |OR|:62 IR:5 |IR|:62.
Promethean: Loaded TPH Description V:4b8 P:31e I#:0 FR:4 |FR|:0 OR:0 |OR|:0 IR:5 |IR|:16.
Promethean: Found invalid device description with 5 fields!.
Promethean: Loaded TPH Description V:4b8 P:326 I#:0 FR:4 |FR|:15 OR:193 |OR|:63 IR:3 |IR|:15.
Promethean: Loaded TPH Description V:4b8 P:327 I#:0 FR:4 |FR|:15 OR:193 |OR|:63 IR:3 |IR|:15.
Promethean: Loaded TPH Description V:4b8 P:61b I#:0 FR:4 |FR|:15 OR:193 |OR|:63 IR:3 |IR|:15.
Promethean: Loaded TPH Description V:28e1 P:b001 I#:0 FR:7 |FR|:63 OR:6 |OR|:63 IR:5 |IR|:63.
Promethean: Loaded TPH Description V:28e1 P:b002 I#:0 FR:7 |FR|:63 OR:6 |OR|:63 IR:5 |IR|:63.
Promethean: Loaded TPH Description V:28e1 P:b003 I#:0 FR:7 |FR|:63 OR:6 |OR|:63 IR:5 |IR|:63.
Promethean: Loaded TPH Description V:d48 P:c I#:0 FR:8 |FR|:15 OR:10 |OR|:255 IR:9 |IR|:15.
Promethean: Loaded TPH Description V:d48 P:d I#:0 FR:8 |FR|:15 OR:10 |OR|:255 IR:9 |IR|:15.
Promethean: Loaded TPH Description V:d48 P:11 I#:0 FR:7 |FR|:63 OR:6 |OR|:63 IR:5 |IR|:63.
Promethean: Loaded TPH Description V:2309 P:1005 I#:0 FR:10 |FR|:63 OR:9 |OR|:63 IR:8 |IR|:63.
Promethean: Loaded TPH Description V:d48 P:e I#:0 FR:10 |FR|:63 OR:9 |OR|:63 IR:8 |IR|:63.
Promethean: Loaded TPH Description V:d48 P:f I#:0 FR:10 |FR|:63 OR:9 |OR|:63 IR:8 |IR|:63.
Promethean: Loaded TPH Description V:d48 P:10 I#:0 FR:10 |FR|:63 OR:9 |OR|:63 IR:8 |IR|:63.
Promethean: Loaded TPH Description V:25b5 P:3c I#:0 FR:64 |FR|:15 OR:66 |OR|:255 IR:65 |IR|:63.
Promethean: Loaded TPH Description V:25b5 P:46 I#:0 FR:64 |FR|:15 OR:66 |OR|:255 IR:65 |IR|:63.
Promethean: Loaded TPH Description V:25b5 P:47 I#:0 FR:64 |FR|:15 OR:66 |OR|:255 IR:65 |IR|:63.
Promethean: Loaded TPH Description V:25b5 P:48 I#:0 FR:64 |FR|:15 OR:66 |OR|:255 IR:65 |IR|:63.

For the account which fails to load:
Unable to load library icui18n "Cannot load library icui18n: (icui18n: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)" 
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gail"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "atk-bridge"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "topmenu-gtk-module"
/usr/share/themes/Radiant-MATE/gtk-2.0/apps/mate-panel.rc:30: error: invalid string constant "scrollbar", expected valid string constant
Promethean: Open lock
Promethean: Initialise board state
Promethean: Global unlocking...
Promethean: Global unlocked...
Promethean: Unlocked count 0
Promethean: locked count 1
Promethean: Async for 0
/usr/local/bin/inspire: line 60: 10208 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) ./Inspire $ARGS

Are there specific groups the user needs to be in or specific permissions that need to be set for the domain user?

Thanks.

Answers

• Users should have permissions to the below folders for ActivInspire and the ActivDriver:

ActivDriver
    etc/promethean 
    usr/local/bin
    usr/local/bin/activsoftware
    usr/local/lib32
    /tmp
    /tmp/activboard

ActivInspire
    /etc/xdg
    /var/Promethean/Inspire/Shared Resources
    /usr/local/bin/activsoftware
    /home//.config

Is ActivInspire being launched by using the icon created through its installation or by double-click on an Flipchart file?  If the Software can open using the former method, are you able to open flipcharts using Inspire's Menus (File > Open)?

If the ActivDriver is running while attempting to open the software, please end the process then re-open ActivInspire; Is the same behavior occurring then?

Does the same behavior present if the Domain User is set up to have the permissions normally granted to a full Admin account on that computer?
  • Jarrad- thanks for the info. Permissions look good. To answer your questions:

1. Same behavior using shortcut and opening file via file manager.
    2. I uninstalled the ActivDriver completely - more below.
    3. Same behavior using a basic student account (few persmissions) to my account (network admin permissions)

After removing the driver completely it opened everywhere. I started removing and reinstalling packages related to the driver and narrowed it down to something specific to the activtools package. When that package is installed, I see the original behavior. When it's not installed, the software works as expected. I can install and remove it several times without restarting the OS and the pattern repeats. I'll see if I can find out more, but thoughts?
  • Thank you for that information, Mike.

We are going to reach out to you via e-mail using the address we have on record with your user account.  From there, we will continue troubleshooting this issue with you.