|

Ubuntu 18.04 - perhaps use snap packages?

Hi,

I currently use ActivInspire on a laptop running Ubuntu 16.04, which whilst still supported is no longer the latest LTS release of the desktop.

I recognise that supporting linux presents a challenge to developers to support the latest version............ I was wondering whether there were any moves to provide a 'snap' package of ActivInspire? This would allow Promethean to create a single installer that works on all Linux based operating systems and reduce the effort involved for them.

Cheers,

Ryan

Answers

• ry_ry_ Posts: 2
    For those that don't know snaps are a package format made by the ubuntu creators
    https://snapcraft.io/
  • Adam K PrometheanAdam K Promethean Posts: 2,325 admin
    Hi ry_,

Thanks for posting on the Support Community.

We will pass your request on to the software development team to review and consider for future releases of the software.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Promethean Technical Support
  • David_GDavid_G Posts: 6
    Hi Adam, Any news about updating to 18.04? As I'm sure your developers know, snaps would be the way to go.

Our school (and probably district) has switched over completely to Promethean from SmartBoard. I'm excited that you folks support Ubuntu.

Thanks,
    David
  • Adam K PrometheanAdam K Promethean Posts: 2,325 admin
    Hi David_G,

Thanks for posting.

We don't currently have any further updates regarding ActivInspire support for Ubuntu 18.04.
    I'll pass on your request to the current development tickets that we have for Ubuntu and the snap packages.

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Hi Adam,
    Thanks for your reply:

We don't currently have any further updates regarding ActivInspire support for Ubuntu 18.04.
    I was hoping that by the start of the school year (here in MN) that there might be a beta version to try out.

I'll pass on your request to the current development tickets that we have for Ubuntu and the snap packages.
    Thanks. Can you share info about the level of activity on 18.04 development? I'm trying to estimate fraction-of-progress towards completion: this will help with planning on our end of the system. I saw in another related post you suggested the person pay attention to the latest community-forum discussions. Is there a page where periodic reports (on Ubuntu 18.04) are shared with customers?

Thanks,
    David
  • Hi David_G,

Thanks for your post.

We do not have any further updates for ActivInspire on Ubuntu 18.04.

We don't have any specific area of the community that we post for progress for updates, but we do post release notes for updated versions of support.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Adam,
    Just wanted to say I'd be happy to test any beta versions for 18.04 traditional packages and/or snap versions. I'm hoping that the issue I have with ActivInspire crashing when the ActivTools package is installed with domain sign-ins gets fixed with an update. (The development team is aware of it from about May).

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Hi Mike Hedderson,

Thanks for posting.
    We still do not have any update for the issue that you raised in May, rest assured that this is with the development team.

Kind regards,
    Adam

We don't have any specific area of the community that we post for progress for updates, but we do post release notes for updated versions of support.
    Hi Adam,

It seemed like ActivInspire was working better on my Ubuntu 16.04 version (with the 4.15 kernel) from the last update a couple weeks ago. As per your suggestion I went to check the update info at: https://community.prometheanworld.com/en/discussion/7002790/release-notes-for-activinspire-v2-14-released-17-september-2018 and didn't see detailed info, also, not sure if this info relates to windows/mac/linux versions 2.14 or not. Maybe I didn't quite understand where you said:
    ...but we do post release notes for updated versions of support.
    what exactly does, 'updated versions of support' mean?

Thanks,
    David

• David_G said:

Hi Adam,

It seemed like ActivInspire was working better on my Ubuntu 16.04 version (with the 4.15 kernel) from the last update a couple weeks ago. As per your suggestion I went to check the update info at: https://community.prometheanworld.com/en/discussion/7002790/release-notes-for-activinspire-v2-14-released-17-september-2018 and didn't see detailed info, also, not sure if this info relates to windows/mac/linux versions 2.14 or not. Maybe I didn't quite understand where you said:
    ...but we do post release notes for updated versions of support.
    what exactly does, 'updated versions of support' mean?

Thanks,
    David

Hi David_G,

Thanks for your reply. 'updated versions of support' Is referring to when we change the supported OS versions.  Such as it was only recently that we added official support for Mac OSX High Sierra within ActivInspire and this was where it was updated.

I hope this clears this up for you.

Kind regards,
    Paul

Hi Paul,
    So, where can I find the info to which Adam was referring? I guess that means, where do I go to find info about improvements/progress with the Ubuntu version?
    Thanks,
    David
  • The Community posts with release notes about previous releases can be searched for here using the search box at the top of this and any other post on this Community.  However, there is nothing specific to Ubuntu or any other operating system listed in them, unless an issue or feature specific to that operating system was involved.

We do not have any information regarding ongoing or in-process development for any of our software.
    Hi Jarrad, thanks for your your reply and the part about "We do not have any information regarding ongoing or in-process development for any of our software." helps me understand better. Still working to understand, "...Community posts with release notes about previous releases..." and "...there is nothing specific to Ubuntu or any other operating system listed in them, unless an issue or feature specific to that operating system was involved".

Let's see if I get what you are saying as applied to my 1 of my questions above:
    1. If I want to know about issues or features in a version of ActivInspire (for example) that are unique to Ubuntu, they will be given in a blog post, for example. I would find this by using the search tool at the top of any Community postings page (such as this one). So, the info about the 4.15 kernel not working with current version could be found this way, as I understand you.
    If I've misunderstood what you are saying, please let me know how I can learn things about using promethean products with linux. Ideally I don't want too much trial-and-error using hours of my time to figure out things that is already well known by the development/support folks at Promethean. Is this reasonable?
    David

• @David_G,

The Release Notes would only describe updates and additions of features, fixes to issues which were present in prior versions of the software, or the announcement of compatibility with newer OSs; they would not state any issues present, still present, or under review and development for correction, with the newly-released version of our software.

Release Notes of previous versions of our software would provide similar information relevant to that previous version.

In regard to issues specific to unsupported new releases of Ubuntu or other Linux forks, we would ask that those issues be brought to our attention as they come up.  As with new versions of Windows or macOS, we advise that while users may be able to install and run the software, we cannot guarantee full compatibility with that OS for all of the tools and features of the software.  Any such issues can be brought to the attention of our support team for troubleshooting and possible escalation to our next-level support team (in the event we are unable to correct or workaround the issue).  This will help us keep our next-level teams and developers apprised of issues present with the software, allowing them to prioritize fixes for these issues.
  • Hi, As per an earlier comment that activemanager is not compatible with kernel 4.15, I've downgraded my 16.04 installation to 4.14.76. Though I've rebooted with the USB/HDMI cables plugged in I still don't get ActivManager to be able to locate any hardware. I'm using version 5.17.14. Do I need to downgrade further? Thanks,
    David
    PS I can use the display as a touch-screen projecting my computer that's great and also can get ActiveInspire to work(!). Maybe it is not essential for activemanager to work?

• Hi David,

Thank you for your email. It depends what hardware you are using. If you are using a HID device there should not be an issue with the kernel 4.15 and the ActivDriver. Please confirm the product code of the board you are using? 

It is a known issue we are currently working on to fix for other boards that are not HID devices. If you open a support case with us we can add your case to the outstanding cases waiting to be contacted when a fix is available.

Kind regards,
    Adem Couper