|

Ubuntu 18.04 - perhaps use snap packages?

Hi,

I currently use ActivInspire on a laptop running Ubuntu 16.04, which whilst still supported is no longer the latest LTS release of the desktop.

I recognise that supporting linux presents a challenge to developers to support the latest version............ I was wondering whether there were any moves to provide a 'snap' package of ActivInspire? This would allow Promethean to create a single installer that works on all Linux based operating systems and reduce the effort involved for them.

Cheers,

Ryan

Answers

• ry_ry_ Posts: 2
    For those that don't know snaps are a package format made by the ubuntu creators
    https://snapcraft.io/
  • Adam K PrometheanAdam K Promethean Posts: 2,129 admin
    Hi ry_,

Thanks for posting on the Support Community.

We will pass your request on to the software development team to review and consider for future releases of the software.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Promethean Technical Support
  • David_GDavid_G Posts: 2
    Hi Adam, Any news about updating to 18.04? As I'm sure your developers know, snaps would be the way to go.

Our school (and probably district) has switched over completely to Promethean from SmartBoard. I'm excited that you folks support Ubuntu.

Thanks,
    David
  • Adam K PrometheanAdam K Promethean Posts: 2,129 admin
    Hi David_G,

Thanks for posting.

We don't currently have any further updates regarding ActivInspire support for Ubuntu 18.04.
    I'll pass on your request to the current development tickets that we have for Ubuntu and the snap packages.

Kind regards,
    Adam
  • David_GDavid_G Posts: 2
    Hi Adam,
    Thanks for your reply:

We don't currently have any further updates regarding ActivInspire support for Ubuntu 18.04.
    I was hoping that by the start of the school year (here in MN) that there might be a beta version to try out.

I'll pass on your request to the current development tickets that we have for Ubuntu and the snap packages.
    Thanks. Can you share info about the level of activity on 18.04 development? I'm trying to estimate fraction-of-progress towards completion: this will help with planning on our end of the system. I saw in another related post you suggested the person pay attention to the latest community-forum discussions. Is there a page where periodic reports (on Ubuntu 18.04) are shared with customers?

Thanks,
    David
  • Hi David_G,

Thanks for your post.

We do not have any further updates for ActivInspire on Ubuntu 18.04.

We don't have any specific area of the community that we post for progress for updates, but we do post release notes for updated versions of support.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Adam,
    Just wanted to say I'd be happy to test any beta versions for 18.04 traditional packages and/or snap versions. I'm hoping that the issue I have with ActivInspire crashing when the ActivTools package is installed with domain sign-ins gets fixed with an update. (The development team is aware of it from about May).

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Hi Mike Hedderson,

Thanks for posting.
    We still do not have any update for the issue that you raised in May, rest assured that this is with the development team.

Kind regards,
    Adam