|

Activinspire very slow on new Mac

Hello, 

I recently upgraded from a 2009 iMac to a 2018 iMac. Using the old computer, Activinspire was quick and easy to use. However, when using activinspire on the new computer (which has significantly greater processing power), the program is very slow and unresponsive, making it very difficult to type and compose flip charts. I have updated the program to the latest version and installed the latest ActivDriver but neither of these actions has resulted in improved performance.

Please could you advise on how to return the program to a usable state.

Answers

• Hi GreatTeacher57,

Thanks for posting on the Support Community.

There is no reason why ActivInspire should be slow on your new computer, however it's possible that if this is part of the schools network, this may be slowing this down.

Does this make a difference if you are connected to the Promethean ActivBoard/ActivPanel to write on the flipchart and the speed of the response from using the pen tool than when not connected to the hardware?

If you are able to log in as a local admin user, then please try this and let us know if this behaves the same.

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Promethean Technical Support

• Hi Adam, 

Thanks for getting back to me.

I think my question must have been a little vague! I'm using Activinspire (personal edition) on my own personal computer at home to prepare flipcharts that I can take into school and use during lessons. In school, those flipcharts work fine and I experience no lag when typing and/or using the pen. However, it is only at home where I am not connected to the school network in any way, where I experience the slow performance of the Activinspire program.

Oddly, when I use the pen or highlighter or eraser etc the performance is fine. It's only when I use the text tool (the tool I use the most!) that there is a delay when typing (1-2 seconds per letter), making it quite awkward to use. The program opens and closes quickly, it's only when using the text that the performance is really slow!

I hope that clarification helps.

• Hi GreatTeacher57,

Thanks for your clarification, it's not an issue that I've seen before with ActivInspire.

Are you using version 2.13? This can be checked by opening ActivInspire and clicking ActivInspire>About ActivInspire and is listed at the top.

If you create a brand new user (with admin access) on the computer, do you get the same issue?

Many thanks,
    Adam
  • Hello Adam, 

Yep I am using version 2.13 of ActivInspire Personal edition (on Mac OS X 10.13.6).

I have just tried creating a new administrator account and the problem persists, unfortunately, on the new user account.

Any further help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

• When editing the flipcharts at home, are they being accessed from a USB drive, an online folder of some kind, or are they copied to the computer (e.g. to Desktop)?

Is the computer at home an iMac or a MacBook?

In either case, does using a different keyboard affect the performance of the Text tool in Inspire?
  • Hi Jarrad, 

Regardless of whether the flip charts are located from a USB drive or from the local disk, the typing tool is still very slow.

The computer is a 2017 iMac (3.4 GHz Core i5).

Yes the keyboard was something I had thought might be the problem (the iMac has a wireless bluetooth keyboard), however, I have tried two separate wired keyboards and the problem remains.
  • Hi GreatTeacher57,

Thanks for your reply.
    This is quite an usual issue that we've not come across.
    If you use the on screen keyboard (rather than external keyboard), is this also affected by the delay?
    Kind regards,
    Adam

• Hello Adam, 

I have just tried typing using the Mac accessibility on screen keyboard, and the issue still remains, unfortunately.

Thanks
  • Hi GreatTeacher57,

Thanks for your reply.

I will email you directly to further assist with this issue.

Kind regards,
    Adam
  • Hi,

I am also having the same issue on my iMAC (same model as GreatTeacher57)

Could you please advise on how to resolve the problem?

Thanks
  • Hi mrnbarr,

Thanks for posting.

I will contact you too regarding this issue over email so we can investigate further.

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Promethean Technical Support
  • Hi,

I'm also having the same problem on a 2017 MacBook Pro.

Could you help?

Thanks
  • I'm reaching out to you via e-mail outside of this community, @Mr_Fortune, so we can investigate this issue more directly.

• Hello,

I updated ActiveInspire to 2.14 last night, and now I am having the same issue mentioned above. I am using my personal MacBook Pro 2017 (3.1 GHz Intel Core i5) and the typing function is super slow, which is greatly affecting my ability to make flipcharts. Typing outside of ActiveInspire (like right here) works just fine. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Susan 
  • Hi vansusan,

I will send you an email directly. 

Please keep an eye on your inbox :smiley:

Craig  

• mannipfmannipf Posts: 1
    Hi!
    I've had the same issue ever since I bought my new iMac a few months ago. When I updated Activinspire to the latest version today I hoped the issue would be solved but that is not the case.
  • I'm reaching out to you via e-mail outside of this community, @mannipf, so we can investigate this issue more directly.
  • Hi I have MacBook Air and I'm trying to download active inspire and this is important for me because I need it as part of my teaching practice and the course that I'm doing. 
    It states that 'Safari can't open the file because no available application can open it'. 
    I hope you can be of help. 
    Thanks in advance.