|

AP6-75A-4K and Windows 10 / Long HDMI Cables

BrianKellyBrianKelly Posts: 4
edited on September 11 2018 in Interactive Whiteboards
We have recently installed 16 new AP6-75A-4K units, connected to the same model of Dell 7480 laptop(s) running Windows 7 and 10.

Both operating systems have the very latest graphics drivers, BIOS, chipset etc. installed, including those directly from Intel.  All Windows 7 systems are able to present a signal (both duplicate and extend) to the boards without an issue, however the Windows 10 machines encounter an issue when presenting over a HDMI cable longer than 5 metres.  HDMI signal recognised by the board, but resolution not referenced and frequency appears to be set at 29Mhz (even when presenting at 1920 x 1080).

Direct connectivity, various cable lengths (1m / 2.5m / 5m / 10m), different HDMI ports, cables and laptops tested.  Issue only occurs over longer cables.  Windows 7 no issue on 10m cable, Windows 10 results in No Signal appearing on screen.  I have even taken a working Windows 7 machine, upgraded to Windows 10 and immediately the issue occurs.

Your assistance would be appreciated.

Answers

• Hi BrianKelly,

Thank you for posting.

With regard to the issue you are experiencing, this would most likely be a driver compatibility issue within Windows 10 and the hardware inside the computer. 
    We would recommend contacting Dell or Microsoft to ask the question of why this is working on Windows 7 and not Windows 10.

In terms of the ActivPanel, this is proven to be working as it should with the different cables that you have tried and is only an issue when using a longer HDMI lead with Windows 10 specifically.

You could try to change the ActivPanel HDMI EDID settings from 1.4 to 2.0 and see if this helps with the 10 meter HDMI lead.

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Promethean Technical Support

• Hi Adam,

Thank-you for the prompt response.

May I clarify your point - "In terms of the ActivPanel, this is proven to be working as it should with the different cables that you have tried and is only an issue when using a longer HDMI lead with Windows 10 specifically.", are you saying this is a known issue or are you referencing my issue?

I have tried changing the HDMI EDID settings previously from the default 2.0 to 1.4, with no success.

Dell have been engaged, but given that (1) the exact same equipment works with Windows 7, but not 10 and (2) I have tried both Dell and Intel supplied drivers, I fear this is more a compatibility issue with your boards and Windows 10 (possibly even related to HDMI power management / frequency recognition).

Do you have any other recommendations / troubleshooting steps?

Kind regards, Brian

• Hi BrianKelly,

Thank you for your reply.

So to clarify the issue as you have described: On a Dell 7480, running Windows 7 and a longer HDMI cable connected to AP6-75-4K ActivPanels, everything functions correctly.
    Once you then upgrade this very same computer to Windows 10 you start running into problems.

The ActivPanel (in regards to HDMI) is simply an oversized monitor, you have confirmed that the only change to the setup is an upgrade to Windows 10, which then causes your problem.

It could well be that Microsoft has changed the way that graphics cards interact with their operating systems which means they are sending either a weaker HDMI signal, or there may be additional power management settings present which is turning down the graphics card performance.
    We would suggest liaising with Dell and Microsoft to assist with this issue.

Kind regards,
    Adam
  • I've just been able to test the same Dell 7480, Windows 10 and 10 metre cable with a 75" Clevertouch board - worked first time.

Further investigation / testing required by yourselves please.  Do you have a relationship with Dell to obtain a Dell Latitude 7480/90 or an OptiPlex 3050 (I saw in another post on this site a similar issue)?
  • Hi BrianKelly,

Thank you for your reply.

Promethean is only able to support the supplied cables that are included with the ActivPanel.

We appreciate that whilst other products may support longer connections, these may have a different tolerance internally for the graphics options that are sent from the computer to the product. As you've mentioned, from Windows 7 environment this is working correctly so the ActivPanel can handle the input from this machine. When upgrading to Windows 10 on the same machine, this has changed the computers ability to display at this length. 

We will raise an enhancement with our Product development team to support longer lengths of HDMI cable with the ActivPanel. 

Kind regards,
    Adam