|

Does ActiveInspire work with macOS Mojave?

Hello, I was wondering whether ActiveInspire works with macOS Mojave? I already had some troubles when I updated to High Sierra some time ago and don't want to risk losing the opportunity to work with Inspire at home. Thanks for answers in advance!

Answers

• senseisensei Posts: 4
    I am in exactly the same situation and would like to know what is going on with ActivInspire development and mac compatibility. Thanks.
  • Hello Liskchen sensei

Thank you for your posts!

Mojave is not currently supported. 

However, we have carried out a very brief test using the most basic features of ActivInspire and everything appears to be working ok when connected to a v5-70 and v6-86-4K Promethean ActivPanel. It is entirely up to you if want to update or not.

Our development team are aware of the upgrade and will be looking into the software. 

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Craig 

• Currently running on Mojave.  Board connects just fine, and the driver responds to all inputs.

the process activrelay_ka, however, is using a large amount of CPU power (99% of one of my cores)

• @Craig Promethean and @pgothgen Thank you for your answer!
  • We use older 1st and 2nd Promethean Smart Boards. Currently using the latest driver/software, our boards do not respond to input.  You can move the mouse via the pen but not click/do anything.  
  • @AnotherITGuy

Can you confirm for us the version number of ActivDriver that is installed on the Mac connecting to these ActivBoards?

If those boards are visible in the ActivManager as connected devices, what version of firmware is on them?

If the connection to the board is made over USB and any additional hardware (e.g. an extension cable or booster, a wallbox, an external USB hub or docking station) is utilized in that connection, please instead try making a direct connection between the computer and the Board’s electronics behind its upper left corner using only a single 3m length of A-to-B USB cable.  Does connecting a computer to the Board  in this manner with our updated driver installed have any effect on the interactions experienced with these boards?

• @AnotherITGuy

Can you confirm for us the version number of ActivDriver that is installed on the Mac connecting to these ActivBoards?

If those boards are visible in the ActivManager as connected devices, what version of firmware is on them?

If the connection to the board is made over USB and any additional hardware (e.g. an extension cable or booster, a wallbox, an external USB hub or docking station) is utilized in that connection, please instead try making a direct connection between the computer and the Board’s electronics behind its upper left corner using only a single 3m length of A-to-B USB cable.  Does connecting a computer to the Board  in this manner with our updated driver installed have any effect on the interactions experienced with these boards?

ActivDriver 5.17.13

The board is visible with firmware V8.10 build 7, driver 5.13.9 

I tried 3 different usb cables, 6fy,10ft,15ft, all brand new, we aren't utilizing any external usb hubs or docking stations. 

• Hi @AnotherITGuy,

The USB cable length is too long. Can you try a USB cable under 5ft. 

the firmware you have isn't for a 1st or 2nfd generation ActivBoard. this firmware is for a 300 series. Can you please confirm the model of ActivBoard? 

Thank you, 

Craig 
  • If I can find a USB cable under 5ft,  I'm not sure we have any.  Every board we use has a 6-15ft cable and has worked perfectly prior to Mojave.    I apologize, it is a 100/300 series. 
  • Hi AnotherITGuy,

Thanks for posting.

To confirm, if you connect any other Mac OS that isn't running Mojave, does this work with the same ActivPens and cables?

Have you tried to log on as a local admin and see if this works?

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Promethean Technical Support
  • Hi AnotherITGuy,

Thanks for posting.

To confirm, if you connect any other Mac OS that isn't running Mojave, does this work with the same ActivPens and cables?

Have you tried to log on as a local admin and see if this works?

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Promethean Technical Support
    Any other machine without Mojave works fine.  Local admin under Mojave has the same issues.
  • Folks,  

This is sounding a lot like - https://community.prometheanworld.com/en/discussion/comment/16872371#Comment_16872371

My Teachers, who did the Mojave update and are finding the pen responsiveness to be nil. I'll be testing myself shortly.
    MB Air, Mojave, local admin, USB cable that was provided with the board (originally) activedriver v.5.17.13, Inspire v2.13.67172

I'll let you know what I find when I test. I suspect I will see the same problems. Last time it was the way in which ActivDriver and the OS interacted... Apple had made a change to their system, that required a Promethean adjustment.

• OK, more info.  I successfully got Mojave to work with the configuration above with 1 caveat. 

Mojave requires the user to "Allow the app (activhardwareservice) to control the computer."
    To do this, go to System Preferences, Security and Privacy, Accessibility. unlock the panel, and check the box next to activhardwareservice.

I hope this works for everyone else having issues.
  • Hi Jbersani,

Thank you for letting us know, we will pass this on to our users if they are having the same issue.

Kind regards,

Pam
  • AnotherITGuyAnotherITGuy Posts: 5
    edited on October 17 2018
    I had the same issue, I finally figured what was stated earlier in this thread yesterday.  I am quite mad that support didn't bring this up once during our week long troubleshooting and the ticket being open.  This is needs to be openly stated.