Software Solutions
Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author
      adamsadowadamsadow
      Participant

Good morning Craig,

I apologize for bothering you, but anything new on the Actidriver for MAC OS Sierra or the expected timeline?

I had been “speaking” with Adam about this, but I couldn’t get back to our conversation by clicking on the link in my email.

Thank you,
      Adam

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Adam,

Our developers are currently working on an ActivDriver for MAC OS Sierra and as soon as there are any updates we will let you know.

Thank you

Miguel

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thank you Miguel, and we all understand.  Any rough ideas on timing: 1 month, 2, 3?

Thanks again,
      Adam

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Adam,

Thank you for your reply.

We haven’t got an ETA yet however as soon as we release a supported version we will announce this on the Support Community and also the Promethean Support site.

Thanks for being patient.

Adam
      Promethean Technical Support

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Adam, is there any news on this yet? The Mac OS Sierra software came out in September, it is now November and my ActivInspire is still not working correctly. Please tell me that there will be an update soon – my lessons are suffering!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Good morning,

Thank you for your reply email.

An official public version of  Mac OS Sierra 10.12.1 was released on Oct 24th.

Our initial testing indicates that the issue that prevented this OS from working with our interactive systems is fixed.  

We are in the process of doing a full QA of ActivDriver v5.14.21 against all of our current interactive systems and we will post an update on the Support Portal homepage to confirm once this has been completed. 

With regard to ActivInspire, we do not have an ETA for when this will support Mac OS Sierra. We will raise this issue with our software development team. 

You could try to use ClassFlow which supports the ActivInspire flipcharts for the time being so your lessons don’t suffer. More information on ClassFlow can be found on http://www.ClassFlow.com and this will allow your ActivInspire flipcharts to be imported. Support for ClassFlow can be found on https://support.classflow.com.

Kind regards,

Adam

Anonymous
      Inactive

Many thanks for your reply Adam. I downloaded MacOS Sierra on 20th September. Since then Activinspire has worked fine except for the writing on the board. The IT guy at my school has said that it is the driver update that we need for the writing to work. I have tried your suggestion about importing flip charts into Classflow and I spent much of last night trying to do it, however, it is clunky, time intensive and the pictures on the screen are blurry. Do you have a time frame for the driver?

Kind regards
      Helen

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Helen,

We do not have a release date as of yet. 

I completely understand your frustration but as soon as we have an update we will release this on the community. 

Kind regards,

Craig 

Anonymous
      Inactive

I emailed this originally yesterday in a similar forum but have not heard any response.

Good afternoon Promethean,

I think everyone here is incredibly
      frustrated about not hearing about any updated information concerning a
      new driver for Mac OS Sierra.  I know I certainly am.

Can you give us any type of timeframe?

It is ridiculous that, after almost a month, there is no driver nor any updated information.

This
      is the second year in a row, at least from what I have been through,
      that Promethean has not had a working driver for an updated OS within a
      reasonable timeframe.  Your equipment is excellent, it really is, but a
      new driver must be completed earlier and more effective communication
      developed.

I would think that most of your users are in
      education, which makes the delay even more upsetting since they/we are
      all well into the school year.  If you cannot understand the importance
      of updated software to your main buyers, that’s a problem.  Nobody seems
      to be getting this at Promethean.  Your equipment, again, is excellent,
      but it is also expensive and a big investment for school districts, not
      only in money but also in time.  We expect it to work and cannot afford
      “down time,” especially when it is for a long period of time and when
      it could have been prevented or at the least shortened.

Is there
      anything that Promethean can say besides “wait?”  I apologize for taking
      this out on the front-line personnel who probably have nothing to do
      with the actual development of an updated driver.

Sincerely,
      Adam

Anonymous
      Inactive

This is a real disappointment, but I’m afraid to say that this has happened every time Apple release a new OS.
      It shouldn’t be a surprise to Promethean when Apple release a major update every year. They’ve been doing it for the last five years. Users are now more savvy than ever and are excited to be able to update to the latest OS either as soon as it’s released or very soon afterwards. It’s no longer acceptable to tell users to hold off on updating – those days of administrator-driven IT are gone. There are often important security updates included in a major new OS release. You can’t continue to run 10.7 in 2015 – this is not Windows XP. If Promethean aren’t adapting to Apple’s ‘new’ (since the App Store) approach of self-service and user-driven IT, then they’re at odds with the whole platform.

To not have zero-day support for a new OS is pretty poor, especially given that the OS was made available to developers back in June. I note that SMART released drivers on October 12. Not perfect, given that Sierra was released on September 20, but far far better than the situation us Promethean users find ourselves in (again).

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello applesurgeon,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate this is frustrating and ur development team are working on this. I am unable to provide you with a date.

Please bare with us. 

Craig 

Anonymous
      Inactive

Craig,

Good morning.  Thank you for responding to the recent messages regarding the development of the driver for Mac OS Sierra.

Respectfully though, and I know you are only the messenger, I expected more from Promethean than what they had you write us back.  Whoever had you write that to us does not fully understand the significance and impact of what continues to happen year after year.  May I respectfully suggest that you forward the concerns that you are witnessing to someone perhaps “higher up.”

Other companies come out with their updates within days of a new Mac OS.  Perhaps I am missing something, but if they can do it, why not Promethean?  Perhaps someone needs to look into what the rest of the tech community is doing and adopt it.

Thank you for your time with this frustrating situation,
      Adam

Anonymous
      Inactive

I must concur with Adam’s thoughtful post though I feel compelled to add some stronger thoughts. I actually think your company’s stance on it’s upkeep with new OS releases is unconscionable. Apple provides early access to developers so they can avoid this very issue. Developers around the world, big and small, have their respective software updates ready prior to or on the day of a new OS release. The fact that a company of your size still has not updated after months is beyond frustrating.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi both,

Thank you for your forum posts.

Please be aware that whilst the beta version for Mac OS Sierra was out for developers prior to being released, this also had changed the way that the operating system talked to the ActivDriver which could not be fixed by the driver being updated and required Apple to fix this issue embedded on the OS which was only released after Mac OS Sierra was fixed. 
      Apple released 10.12.1 on October 24th which on initial testing indicated that this has fixed these previous issues. 

The hardware team are in the process of doing a full QA of ActivDriver v5.14.21 against all of our current interactive systems and we will post an update on the Support Portal homepage to confirm once this has been completed. 

Issues within ActivInspire still may occur as this is a different piece of software that needs to be looked into by the ActivInspire software team. 

Thank you all for your patience in this matter.

Kind regards,
      Adam

Anonymous
      Inactive

I have ActivDriver v5.14.21 installed on my Mac Book and I am still having the same problem with my board in such that when writing the board recognises my first stroke but not the second or perhaps even the third. This therefore means that it is taking me 3 or 4 times as long to write on the board than it should do. As a full time teacher in a school that has interactive boards in every classroom this is extremely frustrating. My lessons are suffering, my students are becoming frustrated that I cannot write fast enough for them and there seems to be no end in sight. 

Please understand how important it is to teachers that their main means of communication and teaching works correctly, quickly and effectively. 

Anonymous
      Inactive

I have learned the hard way to not install the latest MacOS until Promethean releases the latest drivers. It is still frustrating that it takes so long, but I sincerely believe the team responsible does not understand how deleterious this delay is to a classroom teacher. We love our Prometheans; frankly I couldn’t teach anywhere else without one. I am now where I don’t use Keynote any more and build my class presentation totally on the Promethean. Without its complete functionality I cannot instruct the way I should be, especially given the expense and investment into this system our school has made. It is unfortunate that Adam from Tech Support has to bear the brunt of customer’s frustration and ire; Someone several steps above his pay grade needs to address the community, and consider some compensation for users of this system. Promethean should have at least said to folks upon release of MacOS Sierra, “DO NOT UPGRADE; WE DON’T HAVE THE DRIVERS READY.” That you did not even consider that is troubling, too.

I came to the support site hoping the drivers would be released; when I saw this thread at November 20th and still no drivers released my heart sank for all those who upgraded and now haven’t used the Promethean fully for almost 2 MONTHS OF THE SCHOOL YEAR. If the Promethean folks don’t understand that gravity, they have bigger customer support issues to solve beyond timely software updating.
      Anonymous
      Inactive

We are not upgrading to Sierra. We get new MacBooks Pro with Sierra preinstalled. So what. Downgrade to the previous macOS version? Perhaps you should replace your developing team?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Pre-Apoligies if I shouldn’t be posting here, but since this seems to be another “Sierra Issues” forum, I though I would throw our 10 cents in.

I have been trawling different forums about issues with Sierra.   Our company develops room controllers and other embedded electronics that work with Windows, Linux and MAC.  i.e. You can use the computers to control room lighting, alarm system, turn on/off Projectors, TVs, Interactive panels etc.

Everytime MAC “Upgrades/Updates” their OS, they really have no interest in other peoples hardware.  Yes we get the pre-release / Beta of the OS and every time they do, we have to re-write the drivers completely.  Unless you can program in HW assembler and Machine code (ARM, Atmel an Microchip), you have NO idea what a mamoth task this is.

Adamsadowe says “Other companies come out with their updates within days of a new Mac OS”.  Do you have ANY idea how many don’t ?  Do you have any idea how much equipment doesn’t currently work ?  Ours currently doesn’t work.  It did, then Apple worked out they had broken links to our HID controllers and then fixed it.  This then Broke our driver which we spent $$$$ on getting working for 6 months. 

We re-wrote drivers to work with Sierra (Using the Beta release) all the way back to support for Cheetah.  Apple released the update to Sierra and our driver stopped working.  Who loses ?  The hardware developer, because Apple DO NOT CARE about customers using non Apple equipment.  If it does not have an Apple Logo on it THEY DO NOT CARE.

The ONLY reason why Apple “Fixed” Sierra was because some of their HID devices stopped working as well !  So Adamsadowe says “Other companies come out with their updates within days of a new Mac OS”.  Apples own equipment stopped. Mmmmmm,  I wonder if Apple tested their External HW with Sierrea Beta ?  No they didn’t.  They were too embarrassed to admit it.  

I now have customers Whining that “They cannot turn off their equipment at night”,  while we have to spend $$$$ again getting our controllers working again.  They have rolled back to El Capitan and everything is hunky-dory.

This NEVER happens with Windows and Linux.  Only MACs, and MAC users are the biggest whiners of the lot.  Absolutely sick of Apple………IT NOT OUR HARDWARE IT’S APPLE.  DO YOU GET IT !  How do we recover 6 months of development costs ?  Apple have no such thing as Legacy drivers for HW.

End users just don’t know what happens in the background.  All they do is whine when they just willy-nilly update to an OS without finding out if it will cause issues. 

Just because Apple releases an update, does not mean you have to update.  With Window 7, 8 users they FORCED W10 onto users for Free whether they wanted it or not. At least Apple don’t do this 🙂

Sorry for the rant, it just annoys me when non HW people put ALL the blame onto HW developers.  If it’s so easy, write a driver yourself !  We are going stop supporting MAC this year because this was the last straw.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Promethean,

Any updates at all as to the timing of an Activdriver for Mac OS Sierra?

Thank you,
      Adam

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi adamsadow,

Thank you for your post.

We don’t yet have an update regarding the ActivDriver however to confirm, the issues you are seeing are not relating to the ActivDriver but rather than the ActivInspire software as your ActivPens should be working in other applications such as ClassFlow.

So far there has been only been one major issue that has been identified with Mac OS Sierra 10.12.1 within ActivInspire which is not in relation to the ActivDriver, where every second annotation being missed when used in conjunction with some models of ActivBoards.

We have found a temporary work around for 300/500 series ActivBoards which is to activate the dual user function within ActivInspire, and select the student annotation tool with the student pen (light grey) on the student toolbar. Once you have done this, you can continue using the teacher pen in the normal manner, you will just need to move the student toolbar out of the way somewhere.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,
      Adam

Anonymous
      Inactive

I am experiencing and issue in Sierra 10.12.1 where some annotation is missed if i write fast.  This is best noticed if i write X’s really fast.  This was reviewed in 10.11 to not be an issue.  This is on 2nd Generation Activboards and Activboard 100.  Is this what you are referring to as “second annotation”?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi AB4581,

Thank you for your post.

You are correct, this is what we are referring to as the second annotation.

Although this issue has only been seen within ActivInspire, in other applications such as ClassFlow you will see that the second stroke is picked up. 

We are aware of this issue and continue to report this back to the software development team. 

Kind regards,
      Adam

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello,

I was just wondering if there was an update for the mac os sierra.
      If not is there a temporary fix for the lag that i am experiencing when using the board pen?

Thanks,

Samina

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi samessak,
      Thanks for posting.

We have no current updates to provide, are the issues you are experiencing in ActivInspire?

If you create a ClassFlow account and import your ActivInspire flipchart, do you encounter the same pen interaction issue with your ActivPen?

Thanks
      Adam

Anonymous
      Inactive

Glad I thought to look here before installing Sierra over the holiday break. #LOL@Promethean. 

If I hadn’t experienced with EVERY  stinking MacOS update since Lion (10.7) what every poster in this 3-page thread is currently experiencing with Sierra (OS 10.12), I wouldn’t believe what I’m reading today. The fix will get done – you can count on that. It always takes their development team months after an new MacOS version to finally get a solution rolled out. 

After the last major MacOS upgrade to El Cap, board users were forced to disable system level security protocols for their kludged driver to work. Development team finally did manage to deliver a new driver weeks after that. 

The amount of time and work it takes to keep one of these boards up and running should be well known by now to any classroom teacher who’s had to deal with one for any length of time (I’ve had one for more than 5 years now). 

Get used to this if you’re a new user. By the time there’s a solution delivered for the current MacOS Sierra, there may well be a new MacOS release. It’s just the way Promethean rolls, and unfortunately if you have one of these boards in your classroom you will just have to get used to using the older MacOS version months after a new one is released. (if you want your board to work, anyway)

At least Promethean employees are monitoring these threads. That’s something. And I have always had outstanding help from their support staff. So that’s something else you can count on.

Until then, I’ll just keep checking back for a solution. (And so will you.)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi all,

We are aware of an issue with missing pen strokes occurring within ActivInspire running on MacOS Sierra with ActivBoard 300 and 500 series devices. A fix for this issue is being prepared for ActivInspire 2.9, targeted for release at the beginning of March 2017. If possible, we recommend continuing to use OS X El Capitan until the new version of ActivInspire is released. We thank you for your continued patience in this matter and will update the Support Portal as soon as the new version of ActivInspire is available.

Kind regards,
      Adam
      Anonymous
      Inactive

So to be clear: the issues are only with ActivBoard 300 and 500? If I have an ActivPanel, I should be OK to upgrade to Sierra?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi SilverFox,

Thanks for your post.

Whilst we haven’t seen any issues reported with ActivPanels running Mac OS Sierra with ActivInspire, the software itself is still unsupported as such you may encounter different issues to the other faults which have already been reported such as the second pen stroke.
      As the ActivPanel is a Touch HID device, this is treated different and uses the operating systems touch settings along with the help of the ActivDriver. 

Kind regards,
      Adam

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.