Interactive Flat Panels
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Timothy BaldufTimothy Balduf
      Participant

We just got the ActivPanel Titanium (Model: AP7_B75, Bezel Firmware: v6.4.72.42) boards a little less than a year ago at our school.  I absolutely love this board.  I prefer to use it with windows over the built in apps.  I have found an issue with the stylus that comes with the board.  It is awesome how the back of the stylus erases, I use the eraser often and can appreciate that it is already in your hand.  However, the stylus tip that writes ends up erasing about 1-5% of the time.  So about every 20th to 100th pen stroke, it erases the stroke before it.  I have confirmed that this happens regardless of whether I am in windows or the built in white board, so I am pretty sure that this is a hardware issue.  To be clear, in windows the writing tip will erase the whole ink it touches and in the Interactive Whiteboard App, it erases a small line through the ink.  I have thoroughly looked for a sensitivity setting for the eraser on the stylus but can’t find anything.  I would be happy to do a few screen recordings to show exactly what is happening.  Also, I thought it was the way I was holding the pen, but I have even been very careful to hold my fingers as far back as possible and I have tried to make sure that the stylus is perpendicular to the board.  And even when doing those two things, the writing end still erases every now and again.  I think often, not always, it happens when I have two strokes in quick succession, like x’s or equal signs.  Is there anything that I can do about this?

Hi Tim,

Thanks for posting and letting us know of your issues.

To double check, is this only an issue with the 1x ActivPanel? Or is this affecting multiple?

The eraser on the back of the stylus can be detected depending on the size of diameter of the nib, has this become squashed/flattened at all?
      To double check, does the same issue happen with another stylus?

Thanks

Participant

This is affecting multiple ActivPanels.  The stylus is all plastic, so there is no squashing or flattening happening.  Both styluses that came with the panel, do the same thing, erase sometimes when writing with the small end of the stylus.

James PrometheanJames Promethean

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for your post.

Are there any updates available on the ActivPanels in question?

You can check for updates in the “update” app in the locker.

Please confirm the firmware and bezel versions once these units are up to date.

Thanks

James

Participant

The update checker says it is up to date.

Paul PrometheanPaul Promethean

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for your reply.  Can you try switching the second pen mode slider that shows when you have the volume/brightness menu on screen and see if this helps?  Can you also confirm if you have the ActivPanel set to Palm Erase or Palm Reject (the other slider on the same menu)?

We look forward to your reply.

Kind regards,
        Paul

Promethean Technical Support

Participant

So it seems as though the second pen mode solved the problem.  I unselected it and the slider is now gray and looks as though it is on the left/pen side and not the right/eraser side.  Does this mean, that I just won’t be able to use the back of the stylus to erase.  Hopefully this is just a step in diagnosing and fixing the problem.  It would seem awful to not be able to use the stylus as intended by the manufacturer.

Carol PersinCarol Persin
      Participant

Hello,

I too have an issue that is really similar to this and came to the community to read about it. We just got a set of panels this summer of the AP7_B70 model. This board is on:

Mainboard firmware
      Bezel version
      v6.4.72.42

The teacher who reported this issue is a math teacher. While writing equations on the white board the stroke for the number will appear, and then upon moving to the next number, the number disappears leaving only the initial dot where the writing stroke began. I am able to replicate it, but not as often. It looked to be doing it when:

1. Writing quickly
      2. The teacher is left handed- seemed to do it more when I too wrote with my left hand.
      3. I didn’t take note if the pen was angled significantly, but no other part of the hand was touching or near the board. The teacher holds the stylus pretty far back.
      4. It happens on multiple styli on different parts of the whiteboard.

I did a factory reset of the board and also went into settings and turned off second pen mode (still not sure what that is exactly).  For now it seems to be working but just wanted to chime in. I didn’t open a ticket yet since what I did is working for now. If it starts doing it again, I do plan to take video of the issue and open a case. Thanks!

Hi Carol,

Thanks for posting.  You have done most of what we would suggest in this scenario and it appears to be working so far so please let us know if you have any more issues.

Kind regards,
        Paul

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for confirming that this has helped.  Can you confirm if the second slider is set to palm reject or palm erase?

The issue could be down to lighting or some other environmental cause?  The next test would be to enable the second pen mode again then try with the lights off and the blinds closed to see if that has any bearing on the issue?

We look forward to hearing back from you with the results.

Thanks

Paul

Participant

The other option is set to palm erase.  I tried this off with the second pen mode on and it didn’t seem to help.  I wish to keep one quick option to erase, since I do use the eraser often.  I tried some lighting variations and can only say that I didn’t see the problem disappear.  An extremely dark room is not conducive to keeping HS Mathematics students awake, so I am not really interested in an extended trial of the various lightings.  I really hope the second pen mode becomes more reliable when set to erase, I really appreciate the ability to precisely erase with the back of the pen.  For now, to avoid the aggravation of the unexpected erasing while writing with the front of the pen, I am going to keep the useful feature disabled.

Hi Timothy,

We will reach out to you offline so we can investigate your issue further.  Please be on the lookout for an email from us.

Thank you,

Krista

Adam JohnsonAdam Johnson
        Participant

Was a resolution to this issue found? I am also a high school math teacher and am having the same problem. I have tried all combinations of second pen and palm erase modes and that hasn’t resolved the regular deletion of what I just wrote.

Thanks for any help!

Adam

Hello Adam,

Thank you for your post to our Forum.

Due to the nature of this issue, we are going to contact you directly via e-mail with specific troubleshooting questions.

Kind regards,
        Jordan

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.