Interactive Whiteboards
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Curtis McBroomCurtis McBroom
      Participant

Recently I reported an issue with pens that stop functioning when opening Chrome or MS Edge. This issue was resolved by disabling the flags:new-usb-backend. I understand flags can be removed or change at anytime. Well Chrome and Edge have removed the ability to change this setting and permanently enabled it. This means anytime I open Chrome/Edge the pens stop working and the only fix is to restart the computer and not use Chrome or Edge. I have updated to the latest driver (5.18.19 May 2020) and this does not help. I have 22 promethean boards currently and this process is crippling teacher’s ability to work. Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue? FYI-I have switched all teachers to Firefox so they can at least continue to work. As we are a google classroom school this works but chrome offers features and comfort not available in Firefox.

Paul PrometheanPaul Promethean

Hi Curtis,

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues again.  Can you please provide an example model number of the ActivBoards you are using and the displayed firmware version showing for the ActivBoard in the ActivManager control panel?

Once we know this information we will be able to look into this further for you.

Kind regards,
      Paul

Promethean Technical Support

Participant

Here is the information requested:

Firmware: V8.12 Build 4

Model: ActivBoard PRM-AB378-03

Hello Curtis,

Thanks for your reply.

You have the latest firmware, but the elements that fix the pen/browser issue are in the previous update, v8.10.

If you happened to move from an older, really really ancient version (say v8.04) directly to v8.12 those elements might be missing.

I suggest you follow the steps in this article and, effectively, temporarily “downgrade” the firmware to version 8.10: https://support.prometheanworld.com/article/1038/

Does this fix the issue?

Later, you might very well re-update the firmware (automatically, via internet update from the Control Panel of ActivManager) to the latest 8.12 version.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Riccardo

Participant

I will attempt this process and let you know how it goes.

Jerome LevesqueJerome Levesque
        Participant

Hello Riccardo,

Is this the same process if we have a 395 Pro?

Thanks!

Jerome

Hi Jerome,

The process is similar but the latest previous firmware for a 395 is 8.04 Build 4.

Please ensure you are on this before trying to update to 8.12.

We look forward to hearing back from you with the results.

Kind regards,
        Paul

Slim PrometheanSlim Promethean

Hi Curtis,

Thank you for your post.

We hope the steps above help you fix the issue with your ActivBoard.

Should the problem persist, please let us know so we can continue our investigation.

We look forward to reading from you.

Kind regards,
      Slim

Jerome LevesqueJerome Levesque
      Participant

Hi!

Were having the same problem too. The option to disable the USB back end saved us last year, but now that they removed the option, were having the problem again. We can’t afford to replace all ActivBoard all at once.

I will be waiting to see if the solution work. If not, I hope you will be able to provide us something to work with.

Thank you!

Jerome

Craig PrometheanCraig Promethean

Hello Jerome,

Thank you for your post.

Please let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Craig

Participant

Thanks so much for your help. The revert to 8.10 did indeed address and correct the issue. My only problem is the revert from 12 to 10 broke one of the boards and now the pen will not calibrate and the cursor is erratic when the pen is close to the board. Do not need to address this issue here as I can open a separate ticket. Just strange how as soon as I reverted and restarted the issue happened. I have not found a solution yet. You can close this ticket.

Hi Curtis,

Thanks for posting the results, I am sure other users will find this helpful.

Have you tried re-updating to 8.12 since you took it to 8.10 as this may correct things as part of the 8.10 update stays in place?

Kind regards,
      Paul

Participant

I am trying to create a ticket but keep getting slow down error from WordPress…here is the ticket I am trying to create – it will answer a lot of questions:

I recently reverted from firmware 8.12 to 8.10 to correct the USB chrome issue. Once done I restarted and now the cursor is very erratic and will not calibrate. Nothing else changed and the pen was functioning correctly (except for chrome issue) prior to the downgrade. I have since tried to upgrade to 8.12, did not work; I checked for any loose connections, none; plugged USB cable directly to back of board, did not work; plugged VGA directly to projector (VGA 1 and 2), did not work; replaced USB cable, did not work; moved to different USB port on computer, did not work; swapped to a different computer, did not work; made sure no other electronic devices were close by, did not work; unplugged everything from computer (2 different computers) except board, did not work. I am out of things to try. Suggestions????

Hello Curtis,

Thank you for your reply.

We are sorry you are having issues creating a ticket. Please note that you can also contact us directly via email or telephone, if you wish: https://support.prometheanworld.com/contact-2/?searched=activ

Due to the nature of the issue you reported, will are going to contact you directly via email with specific troubleshooting and questions.

Thank you and kind regards,

Arianna

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.