Interactive Flat Panels
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Phil MoorePhil Moore
      Participant

I need to control multiple ActivPanel Titanium units from a Crestron system over IP not RS232.

Is this possible and if so, what port do I use and what is the protocol?

Cheers

Phil

Craig PrometheanCraig Promethean

Hello Phil,

Thank you for your post.

It is not currently possible to control an ActivPanel with IP – only via RS232.

We have an Enhancement open with our development team. I have added your post to the request.

All announcements are released on the community, please keep an eye out for any updates.

Kind regards,

Craig

Phil MoorePhil Moore
      Participant

OK – thanks for the response.

If you are going to implement IP control PLEASE:

• use the same protocol as RS232 to avoid doubling up
      • use the TCP/IP transport not UDP so that the connected control system can be certain that messages have been received.
      • do not use WOL to wake the thing up. This is a complete pain for integrators/programmers having to know the MAC address of the unit. The MAC address needs to be kept either hard coded in the program (bad) or in a configuration file that can be read at program startup (better). If the unit has to be replaced for whatever reason, then the integrator cannot simply swap the unit out – either the programming or the configuration file needs to be modified as well which costs time and money which can rarely be recouped.

Cheers

Phil.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.