Interactive Whiteboards

This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Adam K Promethean Adam K Promethean 2 days, 20 hours ago.

• Author
    sg_mike
    sg_mike
    Participant

Hi all,

Over the summer we’ve moved from shared classroom laptops to individual Surface Go’s for all of our teaching staff. In each classroom we have a dock which connects the Surface to the network, to power and the ActivPanel or ActivBoard and projector’s USB and video cables.

In a couple of classrooms, we’ve found that when a teacher docks their Surface, the ActivBoard (ABV395PRO) isn’t always picked up by ActivManager, or half way through the lesson the connection will be lost. Manager shows no devices found, the pen touching the board does nothing, and the USB audio option disappears – as if the USB cable is removed.

The workaround we’ve found for this is to unplug and replug the USB cable from the dock, then ActivManager finds and connects to the board as it should. I’ve shown the users that are having the issue, but it doesn’t seem to follow them or the board specifically (though I will update if this changes).

We’ve deployed ActivDriver 5.18.12, and are using Windows 10 Education 1903. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

I would recommend checking for any updates that may be available to both the Surface and the dock.

Do you get the same issue if you were to have the USB cable directly into the Surface?

I suspect if you already have any extenders or boosters or even connecting through a faceplate/connectivity panel, this is slowing down the connection and getting an intermittent connection through your dock.

If you connect the original computer/laptop that was previously being used, does this have the same issue?

Thanks,
    Adam

Promethean Support

sg_mike
    sg_mike
    Participant

Hi Adam, thanks for your response.

The original laptop had/has no issues, and the Surfaces and docks are all up to date.

I will note however that this is now happening in more rooms with the same problems. Some of these are using direct cables, and some are going through a faceplate in the wall. I will try and replace some for direct USB cables and report back.

I cannot try and plug straight into the Surface as they have no USB type A connectors, only C on board.

Unplugging and replugging the board does solve the problem, but it’s not am permanent fix and we need a solution ASAP.

I’m also about to put in a different dock in a classroom with a known issue to see if this makes  difference.

Many thanks for your help,

Michael

sg_mike
    sg_mike
    Participant

Correction – I’ll try a dock by a different manufacturer

Hi sg_mike,

Thanks for your reply.

One thing to bare in mind, the older ActivBoards were provided with a 5 meter USB cable based on USB 2 specifications supporting up to 5m in length.
    With USB 3, the supported cable length is 3m.

It could be as the Surfaces do not use either connector that it is trying to draw faster speeds and this is causing the drop in connection.

If you try with a 3m direct USB cable to the USB input on the back of the ActivBoard, do you still have the same issue?

Thanks

Adam

Promethean Support

sg_mike
    sg_mike
    Participant

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your feedback. The docks only have USB 3 ports, so I’ll bear this in mind – I’ve put in a 5m USB 2 cable in one of the rooms for now as a test, so I will put a shorter one in later. Alternatively, could a USB 2 hub affect it in any way – would it “downgrade” it to 2.0 standard?

The room is in use all day, so I’ll keep an eye on the situation.

Michael

Hi sg_mike,

A USB 2 Hub will help restrict the USB 2 speeds, so this may be a good call to try one of these if you have this.

Let me know if this helps.

Kind regards,

Adam

Promethean Support

sg_mike
    sg_mike
    Participant

Hi Adam,

Another observation, though I’m not sure it’s related.

On a number of visits to classes having issues, (with a combination of ActivPanel V5’s and V6’s and ActivBoard 395PRO’s, all on Surface Go’s, again with ActivDriver 5.18.12 and Windows 10 Education 1903) ActivManager isn’t always running. This is solved by manually starting the program or by restarting the Surface, but this is something I’ve seen on a number of occasions (but not every time) and has obviously caused issues with touch and sound.

Is there anything I can look at with regards to this?

Michael

Hi sg_mike,

For the ActivPanels, these do not require the ActivDriver (although this can help with certain features within ActivInspire and is required for firmware updates to the touch interface).

The ActivPanels will use the standard Windows HID device drivers.

We’d always recommend that the ActivPanel is turned on first then the computer, so the computer knows when this is starting up that an external display is available to use.

If you’re having issues with getting sound, this may be the converter or the chipset drivers on the Surface Go.

From looking in to the Go model, are you running Windows in “S Mode”? Does this make any difference when not in S Mode?

For the ActivBoard 395PRO, the ActivDriver is required for the pen to work. If the ActivManager app isn’t always running on start up, we’d recommend having a look at the computers settings. Alternatively, you can launch ‘activmgr.exe’ within C:\Program Files\Activ Software\ActivDriver.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Adam

Promethean Support

sg_mike
    sg_mike
    Participant

Morning Adam,

I’ll check the startup settings next time I come across it, I’ll also see if the startup order can help.

And no, as part of the setup of the Surface Go’s, the first thing we do is take them out of S Mode and upgrade to Education edition because of the limitations of what apps and programs you can install.

I’ll keep this in mind. Thanks for all your help.

Michael

sg_mike
    sg_mike
    Participant

Hi,

We’ve seen a lot of bluescreens now, and it seems to be linked to our 395PROs and ActivDriver. I’m trying a few things to deal with the unresponsive boards, but the bluescreens are frequent and disruptive.

The stop code is IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL every time. I’ve found a thread here that says you’re aware of the issue but throught I’d pop it here too.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply.
    We are aware of the issue and will update the thread that you had seen when we have more information on this (there is also a Beta driver available to test too).

Hopefully that helps with the issue.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Promethean Support

sg_mike
    sg_mike
    Participant

Hi Adam,

Through the cable replacement and testing of the BETA version of ActivDriver, these issues seem to have vanished in the main room. I’m slowly rolling out the new version of ActivDriver to the other rooms and this seems to be solving the issue, so I think this is down to the known issue with 1903 as listed elsewhere on this forum.

Thanks very much for your help.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your update.

Glad to hear that this is working better with the BETA.

We’ll update as soon as possible.

Thanks

Adam

Promethean Support

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.