Software Solutions

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Adrian Hudd Adrian Hudd 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Alexandre Benincasa
    Alexandre Benincasa
    Participant

Hello everyone!

I’m a teacher, and I work with ActivInspire in my lessons. I always have to play videos and some sound files.
    Such files are embedded in the flipchart. So, when I show that specific page, the file is automatically played.

Before I had this problem, I used to embed the file in the flipchart and could play it without any problem. Unfortunately, now that doesn’t work anymore: when I show a specific flipchart with a video, for instance, my MacBook opens another window (QuickTime) to play it. I’m using Mojave.

What I want to do is the following: I want a way to have ActivInspire play my videos and mp3 files embedded in the flipchart without opening them in a new window. I want ActivInspire to show a video, for instance, in the flipchart it is embedded.

How could I do that?

Wait for your reply

Hi Alexandre,

Thanks for your post.

This is the expected behaviour for embedded files on flipcharts when using ActivInspire on a Mac as this video content requires QuickTime to be used to play the content.

We can raise an enhancement with our software development team to review to see if they are able to have this play within the flipchart itself.

Should this be implemented, please look at the announcement section on the Community for the release notes for ActivInspires latest update.

Thanks

Adam

Promethean Support

agalit
      agalit
      Participant

Hello. What was the resolution to this issue? Prior to the two most recent updates, sound files played within the ActivInspire environment, going back years. When I use the countdown timer and play a sound at the end, it just played. It was perfect. Now it opens up iTunes to play a sound file. Is there a hidden setting somewhere I’m missing? Thanks for your help.

Hi agalit,

This behaviour has changed with the release of Mojave which has stopped the sound/video playing within the ActivInspire environment and caused the software to crash, as a work around our development team helped to resolve this by using the default media player that is set

I will raise this with our development team to see increase the awareness of our customers wishing to have this play in the previous ActivInspire environment.

Thanks,

Adam

Promethean Support

Adrian Hudd
    Adrian Hudd
    Participant

Hi there,

I disagree that this an issue with Mojave.

I have been running Mojave since it was released, over a year ago and video clips in my presentations were all working fine within the embedded player. It is only since I have upgraded to the latest release of ActivInspire that I have had the issue with Quicktime opening a separate window each time I move to a page with embedded video in it.

It is very frustrating and I am finding that, with multiple videos opening up during the course of a lesson that it is impacting the performance of my laptop.

Until this issue is resolved I would very much like to reinstall the previous version of ActivInspire. Is it possible to download a legacy version from anywhere?

Michelle Vitt
    Michelle Vitt
    Participant

I, too, am having the issue with sound files and videos embedded in flipcharts.  I upgraded to Mojave long before and had no problems until this latest release.   This is truly a disaster- as a language teacher I have tons of audio files in my flipcharts.

Please let us know that progress is being made to resolve this.  This has really affected how useful Inspire is. Container activities with reward sounds are almost unusable.

I appreciate your attention to this matter.

Michelle

(a long time user – since 2007 with well over 1,000 flipcharts!)

Hi All,

The reason the videos do not play inside Inspire, is that from Mojave 10.14.4, the component (Phonon) that handles embedded media crashes Inspire on startup. Therefore the use of phonon had to be disabled from Mojave 10.14.4 onwards. (Previous builds of Mojave do not have this problem)

The goal is that in a future version of Inspire, that media will play inside Inspire for all MacOS versions, but this is not guaranteed to be possible until we test and apply updates to the ‘phonon’ component, which is currently being worked on.

No version of ActivInspire will work with Mojave 10.14.4 with embedded media. In fact, if you tried an older version of ActivInspire on 10.14.4, ActivInspire will crash on start-up.

This issue is currently being tracked, and any updates will be provided in this thread as and when we receive them from our product team.

Michelle Vitt
    Michelle Vitt
    Participant

I have always appreciated how responsive Promethean has been- thank you for all your hard work.  Hopefully this will be soon!

Michelle

Adrian Hudd
    Adrian Hudd
    Participant

It’s a bit of a round-about fix, but if you know how to dual-boot your Mac (into Windows) using BootCamp, then you can run ActivInspire from a Windows environment and it will solve the problem.

Adrian.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.