Interactive Whiteboards
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      KevinCatherinesKevinCatherines
      Participant

Hello all,

Posting on here as I am having some issues with two of these boards on a site I work at, where we provide IT Support.

On said site, there were existing laptops (Toshiba’s) that were running the software, and connecting to the boards, and still do with no problems at all. A few weeks back, we installed desktop PC’s into the two rooms with these boards in. These were refurb’ed Dell Optiplex systems, imaged from scratch. We put on the latest Active Inspire, and drivers from the website and the boards worked. For about two days. Then they stopped working entirely with these PC’s.

We tried all the basic things, like unplugging USB, rebooting the boards, changing USB ports and cables, etc. We even uninstalled the software and driver completely, and used an older version to see if that worked. Which after the uninstall, seemed to. Then later the same day, the boards stopped working, AGAIN!

We then moved onto what we assumed must network/domain issues, as I noticed that when I logged in as the local computer account the board would start working? We do not have roaming profiles set up at this site, they are stored on the computers. I assumed that maybe something in the profiles was causing issues, so we cleared all the profiles from the machine, rebooted, and the boards were working again. For about a day, AGAIN.

We are getting to the point where we are getting very frustrated and can’t fathom WHY these boards just suddenly stop working. Can anyone help, or suggest anything?

Kind Regards,
      Kevin Catherines.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi KevinCatherines

The issue could be caused by a number of things. The issue is more commonly caused by the length of the uSB cable connecting the computer to the ActivBoard. I can see you have already carried out a number of troubleshooting steps but the issue returns. 

I would love to look into the issue you and see what we can do to help. Can you provide us with the model number of your ActivBoard and the current driver and firmware.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Craig 

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks for you response Craig,

The setup is: the main USB cable is going to an AV box, with a number of inputs/outputs, that is maybe 3m long behind the board. Then from this, there is a 1m long cable to the PC. I can’t imagine that length is an issue though, is it?

We have tried changing the USB cable before anyway, and it has had no difference on it working unfortunately. Also it will work on the laptops without issue on the exact same cable!

With regards to the product information, I have attached a screenshot of the ActivManager software showing the details:

Kind Regards,
      Kevin Catherines.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the information. 

The USB cable should be no longer than 3m for this model of ActivBoard but as you mentioned the cable works with another computer. 

The driver version is the latest so that’s great.  We will still need to model number of the ActivBoard. This will look something like ABV587PRO, just we can confirm the model. 

Finally, can I ask when the connection is lost does the power cut out? 

Thank you,

Craig 

Anonymous
      Inactive

Good Morning Craig,

We think we’ve cracked it. Basically, we were having another look at things last night, and we’ve been having a problem with the new Skype for Business 2016 (formerly Lync 2013 in Office 2013) and the Office 2013 suite. They aren’t compatible, and cause errors, something Microsoft has acknowledged. It’s a pretty stupid state of affairs when your own software isn’t compatible, haha.

Anyway, when this error message popped up, the board stopped working straight away, the pen did nothing. It was pure chance I noticed this, so, out of desperation, I uninstalled Skype for Business 2016, and Office 2013, rebooted, and it worked flawlessly. To confirm it wasn’t JUST Skype for Business 2016, I tried installing Office 2013 (which includes Lync 2013). After installing, the moment we loaded Lync, again the pen stopped working. I then went to the Office 2013 install under ‘Programs and Features’, and clicked ‘Change’, then removed the Lync 2013 program, but left the rest of the Office 2013 suite. I then restarted, and it was working again, and has been working ever since.

Now, I don’t know what your software might hook into that the Lync system does, but obviously it can cause problems on some systems. I thought you might want to know this, in case anyone else has a similar, what seemed like, unsolvable issue!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello once again,

My colleague did some further digging on this issue, and found a Microsoft Technet article realting to this exact issue:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/24233.lync-client-issues-with-promethean-activboard.aspx

In this article it mentions that using firmware of 8.09 or above would solve this issue, is this something we can get a hold of?

And to answer your earlier question the model no. is ABV378PRO.

Kind Regards,
      Kevin Catherines.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your detailed responses.
      The firmware for your board is 8.10 which can also resolve that issue.

We will send you an email with the required firmware file and instructions.

Thank you

Miguel
      Promethean Technical Support

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello Miguel,

We will be rolling out the update later, and will report back if we have any more problems. Hopefully not though. Thank you, and Craig, for the help you have given.

Kind Regards,
      Kevin Catherines.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Miguel,

I am having this issue as well on the same model of activeboard.  Would I be able to get the updated firmware as well?

Thanks, 

John Cameron

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Jcamer,

I’m going to send you the firmware file for this model of ActivBoard and instructions on how to upgrade.

Thanks,

Adam
      Promethean Technical Support
      Case 679714

Anonymous
      Inactive

We have just started using Skype for Business 2016 and we are now experiencing the same issue.  Would I be able to get the latest firmware as well?  We have board model ABV378PRO

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi amycumbie83 — I will send you the firmware file with instructions on how to upgrade to your email. the case number will be 672345. 

Thanks, 
      James 

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi, We have just started using Skype for Business 2016 and we are now experiencing the same issue.  The board does not recognize the camera. I can hear the other party but they cannot see me.  Would I be able to get the latest firmware as well?  We have board model ACON1-G  Version: v1.0.18 

Thanks! 

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Tarantino, 

I have created case 767742 to troubleshoot the issue that you are having with the ACON1-G. Please see the email that I have sent you so we can continue to troubleshoot the issue. 

Thanks, 

Nelly

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.