Interactive Whiteboards
Viewing 47 reply threads
  • Author
      kcalderwkcalderw
      Participant

Is anyone using Promethean boards with Macs in their district? We are seeing widespread outages with pens that started last week. I have tried updating the ActivDriver and ActivInspire and it worked for a short time but now they’re back down again. Has anyone seen this? Most of our staff have been on 10.11 since early in ’16 without issue. This came out of nowhere and is affecting many boards.

Anonymous
      Inactive

We are seeing the same thing on our 10.11 Macs and it started about 2 weeks ago.  I’ve found that if you unplug the USB cable for 30 seconds and then plug it back in, the pens will start working again, but would like a better fix than this.  

Anonymous
      Inactive

I have been going through the affected Macs and uninstalling the ActivDriver and installing the latest version. I have also been updating the firmware on each board as they were woefully out of date. So far so good on our end but agree am hoping for a better solution. Our issue also started about 2 weeks ago. Could be a Mac update that caused incompatibility issues. We ran all last year on 10.11 with no problems.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi both,

I haven’t yet seen any large scale issues with Mac 10.11 and the ActivBoard interaction. 

Do you have a mixture of ActivBoards that this is affecting or only a certain model of ActivBoard? If so, what model of ActivBoards are you using?

We would recommend that the latest ActivDriver be installed, this can be downloaded from the link below:
      https://support.prometheanworld.com/product/activdriver

Is there anything specific that happens that causes the connection to drop?

Kind regards,
      Adam
      Promethean Technical Support

Anonymous
      Inactive

The boards we’re seeing issues with are the ABV378S300.

Anonymous
      Inactive

We are having this same problem… and I found something interesting to share.   A lot of our teachers also use Google Chrome for their web browser and a number of computers were updated late last week.

If you tried to calibrate the board after the pens stopped working you would get an error saying the board was not found.  The flame on the board stays white the whole time.

After some troubleshooting, I discovered the pens stopped working as soon as we ran Chrome, and the only way to get the pens working again was to restart the computer.  This was also duplicated when logged in as a local admin user.   Reinstalling Chrome 53 has fixed the issue.  If we never ran Chrome, the pens would continue to work.

Updating to the latest version of the ActivDriver didn’t help either.

What does Chrome have to do with the pens working??

Anonymous
      Inactive

That is very interesting as our schools also use Chrome. However I tested a teacher in my building who is NOT having issues with their board and they are on v54. We are a small school and I sent out a poll. Of the 12 teachers that responded 50% of them were having pen issues.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Just to add a few details for tech support….  Most of our clients are running Mac OS X 10.11.5.  ActivDriver 5.14.14.

I also checked the make sure the “Allow downloaded apps…” setting is set to “Anywhere”.    I also checked to make sure that the user didn’t have any Chrome Extensions installed.

I know it doesn’t make sense, but I have now “fixed” a few machines with pen issues simply by installing the older version of Chrome.

Anonymous
      Inactive

The latest version of ActivDriver is 5.14.21 

Anonymous
      Inactive

Right… the updated driver did the same thing.  So far, the only “fix” has been going back to the older version of Chrome. 

Anonymous
      Inactive

We have approximately 110 378 Pro IWB’s in our district using 5.14.21 Activdriver on 10.11 Mac’s and I’ve been getting 6-10 help requests a day for pens that just quit during the last 2 weeks.  One teacher noticed that opening Chrome would make the the pens quit working, so she decided to switch to Firefox and it worked at first, but now is still having the same issues.   I’m only in the very early stages of a fix, but so far 1. Uninstalling Actdriv 2. Restarting laptop 3. Reloading actdriv  4. Shut down laptop and boot to recovery mode 5.  Disable SIP in terminal 6. Restart Laptop has worked for the last 2 days, but I also just might not have heard back from any teachers yet.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Have you checked the firmware for your board too?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Firmware is V8.04 build 4

Anonymous
      Inactive

If you have the same boards we do, then that is VERY outdated firmware. I was running the same firmware not realizing none of our boards had ever been updated. The current firmware is 8.10 build 7.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@regiedunlop
      If you have the same boards as we do (Product Code: ABV378S300) then this will work for you. Do NOT use it if you don’t have the same board. You should contact Promethean to get the latest version for your board if you have something different.

https://promethean.app.box.com/s/d2ci3xg1tp8qp6v8ohp27536nx7abpny

Anonymous
      Inactive

@regiedunlop
      Please could you let us know if the firmware (v8.10 build 7) helps with your issue if you are using a 300series ActivBoard (378/387/395)? 

@kcalderw
      Are you still experiencing issues after upgrading the firmware with any of your computers?

Thanks,
      Adam

Anonymous
      Inactive

@”Adam K Promethean”  I found my firmware file for V8.10 build 7 and I can confirm the board now works with Chrome 54 installed.   At least for the moment.   This was on an ActivBoard 378.  I do have a few 178 boards that was showing this issue as well.  Is there a newer firmware for these as well?   I am pretty sure they are V8.04 build 4 as well…

Honestly, I thought we already had all of our 378’s updated, but must have missed a few.   Any idea why Chrome would cause the issue though?

Anonymous
      Inactive

@”Adam K Promethean” I have not heard any further issues from teachers since updating the firmware. I’m just puzzled as to why we’ve been running that firmware for years without issue and suddenly two weeks ago some of them (not all) stopped working.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks @kcaldrew I will give it a try. 

Anonymous
      Inactive

@kcalderw
      Thanks for the update. The 178 ActivBoards can also be upgraded to the 8.10 firmware, this should help fix your issue.

I suspect that this issue has only happened since Google Chrome updated as it will most likely detect HID devices differently which is why this not recognise the ActivBoard until it is re-connected over USB.

Thanks for feeding back.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Our district, EVSC, was having the same issue with Macs and pens.  Our guru Jerrad JUST discovered the fix.
      Go into Settings in Chrome–> Show Advanced Settings—> System—> Uncheck Box: Use hardware acceleration when available
      restart Chrome
      When this box is unchecked the boards and pens will function properly 🙂

Anonymous
      Inactive

I have the same issue and I’m using ABV387PRO board.  I’m running 8.04 Build 4.

Please advise I need my board back!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Elangland said:

I have the same issue and I’m using ABV387PRO board.  I’m running 8.04 Build 4.

Please advise I need my board back!

See above, I posted a link to a newer firmware that solves the issue.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I wasn’t sure if that would work for my board or not.  I’ll hopefully get it fixed soon.  Is the firmware process difficult?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi,

The instructions for the firmware can be found on the link below:

https://support.prometheanworld.com/article/?kb=1038

If you still have issues, please let us know.

Thanks,
      Adam

Anonymous
      Inactive

It worked perfectly.  I had an issue where My google drive app was causing chrome to open which messed it up, but after I disabled all that stuff it worked like a charm!  Thanks!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello Elangland,

That’s great! 

Thank you for letting us know. 

Craig 

Anonymous
      Inactive

I was having the same problem on 4 of the AVB378S300 boards on my campus. I tried all of the above with no solution. I did more research and I tried uninstalling Google Chrome 54 to a previous version 51 and the board and pen started working! It is a Google Chrome problem and they need to do an update to fix it!!
      Here is the link for Google Chrome previous versions http://google-chrome.enuptodown.com/mac/old
      Hope this helps! :sweat_smile:

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi, 

We are experiencing the same issues that are being discussed in this forum. We have quite a few ActivBoards in our district but the two that are pretty common in our district are: ABV378E100 and ABV387S300. What are the firmware updates that should be used for these boards? 

Thanks,
      Chris

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello Chris,

The latest firmware version for the ABV378E100 is version 8.10 and for the ABV387S300 is 8.09. Can you please check what version you are running. You will also need the latest driver of 5.14.21: 

https://support.prometheanworld.com/product/activdriver

We will need to send the firmware via email if needed.

Thank you,

Craig

Anonymous
      Inactive

We currently have the latest driver 5.14.21, but don’t have the correct firmware for ABV387E100. Is that possible to send that via email? 

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello henriksen,

I will send you an email with the firmware file.

Thanks,

Craig 

Anonymous
      Inactive

Will that firmware file work for both boards? ABV378E100 and ABV387S300? 

Anonymous
      Inactive

Will it work for Product Code:  ABV387PRO ? What is the latest firmware for this particular model?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Jojo,

No, the firmware for an ABV387PRO is 8.09 Build 4. 

We do need to make sure you are updating the firmware for the right reasons.

Thank you,

Craig 

Anonymous
      Inactive

My boards are experiencing this issue. Could a support member please email me the latest firmware for ABV378E100? Thanks.  

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Stpeters, email is on its way!

Kind Regards,
      Paul
      Anonymous
      Inactive

My boards are experiencing this issue. Could a support member please email me the latest firmware for ABV378PRO? Thanks.  

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi bobc,

Firmware file is being sent to your email.

Thanks,
      Adam

Anonymous
      Inactive

@”Craig Promethean” Well I have multiple Activeboard’s model ABV378PRO running Firmware V8.04 Build 4 on a Mac Book Air Running 10.11.8 and the Actidriver stops seeing the board connection after a few hours and the only way to get it to reconnect is to restart the computer.  So firmware update is not a solution for me.  What else can I try?  I keep trying to install Driver 5.14.21, but it only loads 5.13.9.  I reboot after trying to install 5.14.21 an I get an error message telling me that the newer version of Active Driver is installed yet when I check it is 5.13.9. This could be because the computers are 32 bit not 64. 

Anonymous
      Inactive

Turns out Promethean needed to protect me from myself and not let me have the firmware update I needed unless I called.  That was an hour of my life I will never get back.  Call and they will email you the Firmware update for your board I needed 8.10 build 7 for my ABV378PRO even though when checking to see if it needed an update it said it was good. 

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi mlewis301,

Glad to hear you have the firmware file, this should help fix all of your issues. 

The Internet feature through ActivManager for checking firmware upgrades isn’t for that model of your ActivBoard as such it will never show if they are updated firmware available.

Kind regards,
      Adam

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello can you please send me the firmware for ABV387PRO I am having a issue with the promethean board not working when google chrome is opened. Thanks

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Bane,

Thanks for posting.

I’ll send you the firmware via email soon.

Thanks,
      Adam

Anonymous
      Inactive

I’m having the same issue with losing the pens after using chrome.  The hardware acceleration change on chrome didn’t work.  Board is a ABV387PRO current firmware 8.04  

And for for the record it is not limited to 10.11. I have 2 macs running 10.9.5 having the same issue. Rolling back chrome helped some but not enough. 

Please send me the firmware file. I have 30 boards at the school different models. Do I have to ask for each model separately?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi,  Email will be sent shortly.

Please note that the firmware is different for each size of ActivBoard so it is best to contact us with different models and sizes.

Kind Regards,
      Paul
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Is there any reason firmware isn’t just posted instead of having to e-mail everyone?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello kcalderw,

Thanks for the feedback.  We have passed your suggestion along.

Thanks
      Michael
      Promethean Support

Viewing 47 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.