Interactive Whiteboards
Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      zsringabellzsringabell
      Participant

Hi All,

At school, when i write on hitevision hi sense or smart note smartboard my handwriting is smooth. an o appears like a circle a I like a bar. When I use Promethean every little pixel appears so that a circle looks like it was written by a tired a robot or like making a circle on paint using the mouse and the pointer. Too sensitive ? Note that for kids it is worse so it is not a question of changing the way we write. Also any version of OS has the same result. How can i improve that ? Any ideas ?

Cheers,

Alex

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi All, a few additional comments to further my question.When I write on the cheap Taiwanese hiteboard from Honghe or on smart, an “O” looks like a circle and an “I” like a straight line. Neither board is especially sensitive and the results are similar with finger writing or a felt pen. Those boards do work with win 7 whereas my Promethean is on a mac mini. Hiteboard actually has a paintbrush tool which is very pleasant because you can see brush strokes with different thickness depending on the speed and pressure you apply on the board. In China, our students need to precisely write characters and depending on the direction and pressure, a character may be correct or incorrect – e.g horizontal bars must nearly always be written first left to right and thick to thin so this feature is welcome. Right now , when i write full sentences it look like a 5 year old did it with wriggles and bends and of course my 5 year old students can’t draw an F or a W.

I see some interactive white board apps allow for this swish/stroke feeling but they are not part of Activ. Any chance I can add a paintbrush tool in my activ tool bar or setup the pen to smoothen wriggles ?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Alex,

Thanks for posting and providing this information.

Please can you let us know what version of ActivInspire is being used? This can be found by clicking on ActivInspire>About ActivInspire.
      If you go to File>Settings, what is your current Touch Interoperability set to? Are you able to change this to OS Compatible? If so, change it to this option and restart ActivInspire and see if this helps smoothen the writing.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,
      Adam
      Promethean Technical Support

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thank you for your swift response. I did already default to OS compatible and restarted but nothing changed. I am thinking of buying activpens to see if it changes anything. I note that the board is very sensitive. I can write when my finger is 1 mm from the board , and some interactive books seem to be double clicked when i press just a little. other times , i need to press firmly to get the interactive book’s pages to flip. This does not occur on other white boards.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Alex,

What version of ActivInspire is being used?

If you are using a version older than 2.8, we would recommend that you upgrade the ActivInspire version to see if this helps.

Thanks,
      Adam

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Adam,

unfortunately we were already using 2.8. Do you think an Activpen could help ?

Could you write the word Hello on a board and send it to me – making the h about the size of a hand. Perhaps, i am trying to change something which cannot be changed and if i benchmarked my writing against yours, we would know whether there is room for improvement or not.

Cheers,

Alex

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Alex,

Under Settings>Flipchart Objects, is High-quality rendering ticked?
      What’s your current screen resolution on the computer?

This is what mine looks like, which is similar to your photo also.

Thanks,
      Adam

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Adam,

thanks for the answer and for the pic. I tried selecting high quo and unticking but it didn’t produce any result.

First, i would like to say your feedback is super fast and provides very good support. I often have to deal with apple, microsoft and other service centers and I really appreciate your answers. 

I humbly think that the white board is too sensitive. It should include some sort of OCR functionality which recognizes whether a stroke is a curve or a line and which does not try to reproduce wriggles with accuracy. When i write on paper, perhaps thanks to ink smudges, and i can write nicely. Here it would be impossible to teach calligraphy or art. I think Promethean should include a soft brush/bamboo pen particularly for China, particularly if competitors do better. I hope others teachers will make similar requests. 

Anyway thanks Adam for all your help.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Adam,

thanks for the answer and for the pic. I tried selecting high quo and unticking but it didn’t produce any result.

First, i would like to say your feedback is super fast and provides very good support. I often have to deal with apple, microsoft and other service centers and I really appreciate your answers. 

I humbly think that the white board is too sensitive. It should include some sort of OCR functionality which recognizes whether a stroke is a curve or a line and which does not try to reproduce wriggles with accuracy. When i write on paper, perhaps thanks to ink smudges, and i can write nicely. Here it would be impossible to teach calligraphy or art. I think Promethean should include a soft brush/bamboo pen particularly for China, particularly if competitors do better. I hope others teachers will make similar requests. 

Anyway thanks Adam for all your help.

Hi and thanks for the feedback.

I will be sure to raise this with the software development team to look into and hopefully in the future release additional tools and more consistent brush strokes.

Thanks again.

Adam

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thank you for the answers. Here is one final ticket which may help us find a resolution or develop a quick fix tool for a “chinese paint brush ” feature.

I am comparing active with an infocus projector and hiteboard – the taiwanese system – with a panasonic projector. Both projectors have near identical specs in resolution/lumens…

• On the hiteboard system , if I draw an I (or a dot)  and blow it up, the middle of the I is garmin red while the sides are less red and fades away into pink. When i size it to normal size, the I appears clear but the contours of the letter are in a lighter color.
      • on Active, if i draw an I or a dot, the vertical line is garmin red and the pixel immediately next to it is CMY white. If i blow it up, there will be X pixels garmin red and the contour is white white.

Although it should give the writer on active a feeling of accuracy, of sharp resolution, it mostly gives you the feeling you have atari resolution. If i draw a helicopter on the activ board it looks like Choplifter 1980 . 

If you were to design a paintbrush feature, all it wood need to do is smoothen the next pixel to half the color and you would have the effect of smooth writing. I think its two lines of code, but I really don’t know much about your work so I’ll leave it at that. I will just say that (i) I prefer Active to any other software and I think class flow is great (ii) I think that chinese boards and smart boards are quite conspicuous in China but promethean is not really there. As I’m on the ground I can tell you chinese character writing is key to getting Promethean boards in KG and primary school. Ask some Chinese staff or Chinese  friends around to see what they think.

Thank you for reading me, take care.

A

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello zsringabell,

In order to dig into this specific case we would need to know a few more details – software versions, driver versions, what computer you are using, is it on (pc or mac).

Also can you please confirm what screen resolutions they are running and OS you are using? 

Thank you,

Craig 

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi, Mac Os Sierra 10.12.1, Active 2.8, driver Activdriver 5.12.17. display default (1024 768 ), Cheers, Alex

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Alex, 

Thank you for your fast response.

We currently do not support Mac OS Sierra. Our developers are currently looking into this but we are unable to provide you with a timescale. 

I have passed the details of your post onto our developers.

Any updates will be released online.

Thank you,

Craig  

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi zsringabell,

Can i ask what hardware you are using ActivInspire with? ActivBoard, ActivPanel? 

Thank you,

Craig 

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi, sorry for the lack of reply – I thought I sent this 2 days ago but as often in China, intermittent internet connection is reset and posted comments evaporate and you forget to follow up. I am not at the office but have the very latest Sierra on mac mini, latest Active inspire and driver 5.14.21 . It’s an activboard 78.

Cheers,

A

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello zsringabell,

Thank you, I am passing the details onto our development team.

Kind regards,

Craig 

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi again zsringabell,

Just so we can look into the issue can you please confirm the model of the ActivBoard, for example, is it a ABV300, 500 or AB2 etc? 

To help you find the model please take a look at the below link:

https://support.prometheanworld.com/article/?kb=1088

Thank you,

Craig 

Anonymous
      Inactive

Dear Craig,

very latest Sierra on mac mini, latest Active inspire and driver 5.14.21 . It’s an activboard 78.

cheers,

Alex

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to come back to us.  We will pass this on to our developers.

Kind Regards,
      Paul
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi,

How can I roll back to a prior driver ?
      I only recently went to the latest activ driver. I remember that the definition was immediately worse perhaps due to Sierra. I would like to rollback to the previous driver. How do I do that. Download the old, uninstall the current and reinstall the old ?

Cheers,

Alex

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi,

Thanks for posting.
      Whilst Sierra is not currently supported with both the ActivDriver and ActivInspire software, early testing suggests that the ActivBoard will work with the ActivDriver (version tested 5.14.21 which is the latest). 

ActivInspire has not been tested as part of the testing process, it is maybe this what is causing your issue to be worse on Sierra. 

I suspect that rolling back the driver to a previous version would have no impact on this interaction. However you can uninstall the current version of the ActivDriver, restart (it is essential that the computer is restarted) and then install the version you wish. 

Are you able to provide any photos/screenshot of the comparison of interaction within ActivInspire and using which ActivDriver (and firmware version of the ActivBoard) and version of Mac OS, so we can at least pass this information to the development team? It would be much appreciated for future development to the ActivInspire software.

Thanks,
      Adam
      Promethean Technical support

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi,

Thanks for posting.
      Whilst Sierra is not currently supported with both the ActivDriver and ActivInspire software, early testing suggests that the ActivBoard will work with the ActivDriver (version tested 5.14.21 which is the latest). 

ActivInspire has not been tested as part of the testing process, it is maybe this what is causing your issue to be worse on Sierra. 

I suspect that rolling back the driver to a previous version would have no impact on this interaction. However you can uninstall the current version of the ActivDriver, restart (it is essential that the computer is restarted) and then install the version you wish. 

Are you able to provide any photos/screenshot of the comparison of interaction within ActivInspire and using which ActivDriver (and firmware version of the ActivBoard) and version of Mac OS, so we can at least pass this information to the development team? It would be much appreciated for future development to the ActivInspire software.

Thanks,
      Adam
      Promethean Technical support

This is not an issue isolated to macOS Sierra.  We are switching to Promethean in our school, and every computer has this pixelated writing problem.  All of these computers are on Win 7, running version 2.4.66096, or near that version.  It is very annoying.  SMART Notebook had blurred edges when writing, creating the illusion of a smooth writing experience.  ActivInspire is writing like a pencil without blurred edges in Photoshop.  

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello EdTechAdam ,

So that we can pass this along to our developers, please let us know what model of ActivBoard 78 you are using.

Does the same issue occur when you are drawing in the software using the mouse? 

Just to clarify, you would like a paintbrush tool added to the software with the ability to soften the edges of the writing?

Thanks,
      Michael
      Promethean Support

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello EdTechAdam ,

So that we can pass this along to our developers, please let us know what model of ActivBoard 78 you are using.

Does the same issue occur when you are drawing in the software using the mouse? 

Just to clarify, you would like a paintbrush tool added to the software with the ability to soften the edges of the writing?

Thanks,
      Michael
      Promethean Support

ActivPanel APT2-65.  Same issue occurs in the software as well, when it isn’t connected to board.  So it is a software issue, not hardware.  Yes, I would LOVE a paintbrush tool added to the software with the ability to soften the edges of the writing.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi EdTechAdam,

Thanks for your reply.
      We will raise this request with our software development team to hopefully bring this feature in to newer versions of the software.

Thanks,
      Adam

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.