|

Windows 10 connected to Promethean Board

Dear Promethean,

Having an issue with Windows 10 and connecting to a Promethean Board thru USB.   When powering on the computer, it wont load and stays on the HP logo.  Once I unplug the USB cord going to Promethean board, it continues to boot up and everything works fine.  I log in, and re-plug in the USB cored and it recognizes the device in Active Manager.  I update the drive to the newest version 5.16 from your website.  Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.  Thanks again.

Mike Martin 

Answers

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 mod
    Hi MartinSTCS

Can you please ensure that you have all of your Windows updates to there most recent versions? Please let us know if the issue continues after the updates have been updated.

Thanks, 
    James 
  • MartinSTCSMartinSTCS Posts: 38
    Dear James,

Do all the Windows Updates on the computer?  Thanks again.

Mike Martin
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 mod
    Mike, 

Yes, also provide us with the model number of the hardware that you are trying to connect your computer to. We can provide additional information once we know which product you are using. 

Thanks, 
    James 
    Dear James,

Will do, thanks.

Mike
    Firmware of Active Manager - V8.09

• Jarrad PrometheanJarrad Promethean Posts: 720 mod
    One step we would recommend for this issue is, with the assistance of your IT staff or other suitably trained personnel, to enter the BIOS settings in the computer and look to the list of devices in the Boot Order list.  If a USB device or any other hardware is listed first, please change the order of the devices in this list so that the computer's hard drive is first, then save and exit. 
    This has been looked at and the boot order is starting with the Hard Drive/OS.

Any update on this issue?  Thanks again.

MartinSTCS
  • Noel PrometheanNoel Promethean Posts: 19 mod
    Can you please make sure that your BIOS is up to date? Or apply any available update to the BIOS.
    Ensure that any option to boot from a USB device is disable. Also does the issue occur when connected to any other Promethean hardware?
    BIOS is up to data, and the USB has already been disabled and tested.  PC's are only plugged into a Promethean Board.
  • Jarrad PrometheanJarrad Promethean Posts: 720 mod
    If the computer has any management software installed (e.g. Novell ZenWorks or MS Lync), please temporarily remove or disable that software and see if this changes the computer's behavior during startup.

We would also recommend using an external USB Hub to facilitate a connection between the computer and the ActivBoard.  Does connecting through that hub have an effect on the start up behavior of the computer while the board is connected?
    No Management software on computer.  Do you mean trying a wireless active inspire instead of a USB cord? To connect to the Promethean board.  Thanks.

MartinSTCS
    Dear Jarrad,

I can an external hub instead of plugging directly in computer.  Thanks.

MartinSTCS
  • Michael PrometheanMichael Promethean Posts: 152 mod
    Hello MartinSTCS,

If you have an ActivHub, you may attempt to connect wireless in that manner. Though, we were referring to a USB 2.0 hub. In this setup, there would be a USB cable going from your computer to the hub and then another cable from that hub to the ActivBoard. 

Thanks,
    Michael
    Promethean Support
    Dear Michael,

We tried the hub, and that did not help.  We can try an ActivHub, but we have this problem on about 10-15 computers.  Normally we just use the USB cord.  

MartinSTCS
  • Are there any computers with which this issue does not occur while they are connected to an ActivBoard?  If so, do those computers use the same operating system, ActivDriver, and USB connection (i.e. a single 10' or shorter USB cable instead of using any extensions, booster cabling, or other hardware)?
    Dear Jarrad,

Yes, but they are all the same computer, same operating system Windows 10.  All the cords are 10 feet and shorter.  Its jsut a strange thing.  

MartinSTCS
  • Adam K PrometheanAdam K Promethean Posts: 2,325 admin
    Hi MartinSTCS,

Thanks for your reply.

Are the USB cables going directly into the ActivBoard USB port or connecting to a wallbox, connectivity panel or faceplate? 

Can you ensure that you are connecting the USB cable directly to the USB input as labelled on the diagram below:
    User-added image

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Promethean Technical Support
  • HerrKoeppenHerrKoeppen Posts: 16
    Hi,

I'm having the same problem.
    PC is HP ProDesk 600 G2 SFF.
    All PCs may have that behavior on startup but it is not reproducable.
    We use Win10 64bit.
    The connection was already switched to direct USB input. No change.
    BIOS is up to date, USB-boot ist deactivated.

Do you have any new tips?

Thank you in advance.

Yes, im plugging the usb cords directly in to the usb input.  Thanks.

• Adam K PrometheanAdam K Promethean Posts: 2,325 admin
    Hi both,

When connecting directly to the ActivBoards, is the USB cable longer than 3meters? 
    Do shorter cables work?

If you are able to see your ActivBoard listed in the ActivManager, please try a firmware upgrade depending on your model.
    For ActivBoard 100/300 series, the firmware can be found on the below link:
    https://support.prometheanworld.com/article/?kb=1038
    For 500 series ActivBoards, this can be done using the ActivManager software by choosing Internet.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Shorter cables dont make a difference, and the firmware ahs been updated on other promethean boards, active panel.  Doesnt help either
  • Hi MartinSTCS and HerrKoeppen,

We will send you an email requesting some more information so that we can assist you further.

Thank you

Miguel
  • Never received email about information.  Please assist.
  • Hello MartinSTCS, 

We have created a new case and emailed you directly from the case asking for further information regarding the issue. 

Thank you, 
    Nelly 
    Promethean Technical Support. 

• Ok, thanks again.
  • Have you solved the problem? Could you re-contact me? I bought new USB-cables (1,8m) and now I am trying to apply the new firmware.
  • Hello HerrKoeppen, 

If you are able to see your ActivBoard listed in the ActivManager, please try a firmware upgrade depending on your model.
    For ActivBoard 100/300 series, the firmware can be found on the below link:
    https://support.prometheanworld.com/article/?kb=1038

For 500 series ActivBoards, this can be done using the ActivManager software by choosing Internet.

Kind Regards, 
    Nelly Promethean Technical Support
  • i'm still trying. it seems to work, apparently you deactivated the board (red torch) until windows is loading, the torchlight remains red during boot process. worked in some rooms and should fix several problems. nonetheless i have one room where the boot process takes as long as before. bios is up to newest version, newest firmware for activboard, new usb cable. but there is in addition an activ hub, can that also be a problem?
    and i think i have to try to use the usb 3.0 ports as you discribed, that they are preferred against usb 2.0.

thanks a lot for your help