How can I retrieve this file and open it in activispire

Best Answer

Answers

• Miguel PrometheanMiguel Promethean Posts: 415 mod
    Hi MrGray,

Can you please confirm details below:

- what is the format of the flipchart?
    - what is the OS?
    - do you have any media or images in the flipchart?
    - rename the flipchart as "741049" and upload a copy of the flipchart to http://goo.gl/BW8Gjh

Thank you

Miguel
    Promethean Technical Support
  • MrGrayMrGray Posts: 12
    Th uploaded it. It's mainly text, I don't think it includes any images
  • Michael PrometheanMichael Promethean Posts: 150 mod
    Hello MrGray

You may change the extension on the file from a .temp to a .flipchart and this should resolve the issue. We sometimes see this issue when the file is saved directly to a cloud server instead of local storage. 

To prevent this from happening in the future, please save the flipchart locally, and then move it to the cloud when needed.

Thanks,
    Michael
    Promethean Support
    How do I do that please?
  • Jarrad PrometheanJarrad Promethean Posts: 663 mod
    Click on the file so it is highlighted, then click on it once more; this should allow the name (and in this case, its extension) of the file to be edited.  Delete the ".temp" portion of the file's name and type ".flipchart" in its place, then press ENTER.

If you right-click on the file and choose 'Properties' from the menu that appears, the window which opens should now note that the file type is an ActivInspire Flipchart (.flipchart) which opens with Inspire.
    It doesn't allow me to edit
  • Adam K PrometheanAdam K Promethean Posts: 2,128 admin
    Hi MrGray,

If you do not have access to change the file name then we would recommend contacting your school IT to have a look at your permissions on the computer. 
    This could also relate to the files saving as .temp files if it doesn't have the correct permissions to read/write to locations on the computer.

Kind regards,
    Adam

It's my own laptop so I should be allowed to 
    Hi MrGray,
    Do you get any errors when you try and change the file name? 
    Thanks
    Adam
    I can change the file name to vocabulary.flipchart no problem but i cant open it.
    Hi MrGray,
    Please can you let us know what exactly happens when you try to open it? 
    Are you receiving errors? 

If you try and open ActivInspire and then click on File>Open and search for this file, does it work? 
    Please provide a screenshot of any errors that you encounter so we can best advise.

Please can you advise what version of ActivInspire is being used? This can be found by clicking on Help>About within ActivInspire.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Thanks for all the replies. I have it saved on desktop and it doesnt feature as a file which I can open when I go file, open. Im using version 2.9.66777
  • Miguel PrometheanMiguel Promethean Posts: 415 mod
    Hi MrGray ,

Please provide us a screenshot of the icon of the flipchart on your desktop.
    Also if you doubleclick on it and choose "Rename" it will highlight the name of the flipchart - please send us a screenshot of that.

Thank you

Miguel
    The file icon looks correct in the picture you provided; when you double-click on the file to open it, do you receive any messages (errors or otherwise) and if so, what is the text of those messages?

Have any other flipcharts opened with the ActivInspire software on this computer encountered the same or similar issue?  
    When I double click on it, nothing happens. It does not open. All other flipcharts are opening perfectly
    I also see on the screenshot that ActivInspire is open; does any new document tab appear when either double-clicking on the file or right-clicking on the file and choosing 'Open'?

Is this file opening when copied over to another computer which has the ActivInspire software installed on it?
    No it wont
  • Michael PrometheanMichael Promethean Posts: 150 mod
    Hello MrGray,

It looks like while a .flipchart extension has been added, the .temp extension is still present. This is due to extensions not being shown in your file manager. To correct this, please open File Manager, select the "View" tab, and ensure that the box next to "File Name Extensions" is checked. 

We have also gone ahead and changed the file extension of this file. You may download it from here

Thanks,
    Michael
    Promethean Support
    You all are super stars ! Thanks so much
    Thanks so much, super stars!
  • I’ve been having tons of these .temp files created when saving and yes I’m saving to cloud services, but on the local hard-drive synced area (Google drive synced down and/or iCloud on the synced local location on Windows/Mac).  I create too many flipcharts (often linking to other flipcharts, therefore the path location must remain static) to be able to save in one location and then move to another. 

I hope that there’s a way to resolve the issue that is causing this to happen so frequently now.  
  • Hello @teacher24_70,

If the ActivInspire software is having problems opening those files, our recommendation would be to instead have the files saved to a non-synced location on the computer and copy them to the synced folder as needed to back them up.  As our software saves the files only as .flipchart, the syncing process through Google Drive or iCloud may be what is causing this behavior.

• The point of having them in a synced location is not just for backup.  It’s so that I can access them from any of the computers that I use.  In this day and age, most of what I use is on a cloud/synced platform so that it’s available cross platform and cross-computer.

Jarrad Promethean said:
    Hello @teacher24_70,

If the ActivInspire software is having problems opening those files, our recommendation would be to instead have the files saved to a non-synced location on the computer and copy them to the synced folder as needed to back them up.  As our software saves the files only as .flipchart, the syncing process through Google Drive or iCloud may be what is causing this behavior.

• Hi @teacher24_70,

Thanks for your reply.

We understand the needs of cloud storage, as such, we have raised this with our developers to review to hopefully implement in future releases of ActivInspire.
    Should a released version which supports saving to the cloud be released we will let you know.

Kind regards,
    Adam