|

V5 75" 4K panel will not clone

Hi,

We have recently had installed a number of V5 panels, however when the panel is connected to the PC, the PC is unable to clone the output to the PC monitor and the panel and goes to extended desktop with the panel being the primary display.

Sometimes this can be changed to duplicate with the windows key and 'P' however this is not always the case and sometimes we have to restart the PC with the hdmi cable out so that the PC will boot normally and then plug in the panel to get the duplication.(though again when the panel is plugged in the PC sometimes jumps to extended desktop)

If I try a projector instead of the ActivPanel the systems works exactly as I would expect, however it is only when the V5 panel is connected that problems occur, which implies the problem is with the panel and not the PC.

Also when the ActivPanel is connected and in extended desktop mode the PC displays a message saying that the optimal resolution for the panel should be 2880 x280 which is a very unusual ratio.

The bios and graphics drivers are all updated and as I say it works perfectly with another output device, it is only when the panel is connected that we get these issues.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Answers

• Paul PrometheanPaul Promethean Posts: 190 mod
    Hi Jonathan Naismith and thanks for posting.

Are your ActivPanels connected directly or are they going through a wallbox or connectivity panel?  The reason I ask that is that sometimes if they are not corrected directly then the PC can struggle to recognise the device that it is connected to correctly and give the strange recommended resolutions etc.

If it is please try connecting directly and see if the issue persists.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Kind Regards,
    Paul

Promethean Technical Support  
  • OlzhasOlzhas Posts: 5
    Dear promethean support

We have 6 Active Panels v5 75"4k, whenever trying to connect to HP Desktop PCs through NVidia cards similar issues specified by Mr  Jonathan Naismith occure: 

1) Panel (HDMI) becomes primary output source, making monitor (VGA) extended. Even if I try changing the monitor back to primary after every log off/restart panel becomes primary again;

2) Cannot change panel's resolution to anything other than 3840*2160, error message comes up "unable to save display settings"; 

3) Cannot clone or duplicate, panel always stays primary if I try;

4) Firmware upgrade didn't help, current version  3521, also upgraded activdriver to version 5.17.13. - to no avail.

Same PC with the same video card has worked perfectly fine duplicated (cloned) with other HDMI output devices (PRM-35 projector and LG TVs) for more than two years, it is only Panels that are making troubles. 

Please help
    Olzhas
  • Adam K PrometheanAdam K Promethean Posts: 1,955 admin
    Hi Olzhas,

Thank you for your post.
    For this issue, I suspect that this may be chipset or graphics card drivers that may need updating.
    Have you got all of these up to date?

If you have one of the HP Desktops that haven't been connected to the network and has a basic install of Windows installed, do you get the same issue?
    If you don't I suspect that this may be something that is implemented to the operating system from the network for the user accounts and permissions or possibly other external applications.

Kind regards,
    Adam
  • check the firmware of the ActivPanel itself, not the touch firmware.
    That was our problem.

Dear Jonathan,

Please advise where to get this firmware?

Thank you
  • it has to come from Promethean as it is specific to your panel type. they will be able to guide you on how to check the firmware also.
    Hi Olzhas,

If you contact Promethean Technical Support directly and provide a serial number of one of your ActivPanels, we will then be able to provide you with the firmware to test to see if this helps. 
    Alternatively, this could still be the chipsets on the computer that are at fault.

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Dear Adam,

Yes, I got the graphic card drivers updated as well, and I don't think group policy and other policies may affect graphic card properties, they certainly haven't affected anything prior to using activpanels. As I said before we were using this PC with PRM-35 projectors and other TVs with no issues at all. 

By the way, I have connected the panel through VGA using splitter and it clones fine that way. It seems like HDMI port of the panel is the main culprit.

Looking forward to get this ActivPanel firmware and have it upgraded.

Can you help with obtaining it?

Thank you.
    edited on April 25 2018
    Hi Olzhas,

If you contact Promethean Technical Support directly and provide a serial number of one (or all for reference) of your ActivPanels, we will then be able to provide you with the firmware to test to see if this helps. 

One thing to note, is that whilst this may work with PRM-35 projectors and TVs the technology is different to the ActivPanel so will be running differently (especially since this is a 4K ActivPanel than a non 4K projector).

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Gentlemen,

Thank you for turning up and sharing your experiences, I will follow your advice and will contact promethean directly

Regards,
    Olzhas  
    Dear all,

Thank you all so much, just as Jonathan Naismith suggested upgrading the firmware of the panel sorted duplication/cloning issues in full.

Peace of advice from me is to use USB2.0 flash pen and not 3.0 for the upgrade. 

Olzhas 
    Hi Olzhas,

Thanks for your confirmation that this has helped with your issue and for the peace of advice.

Kind regards,
    Adam