|

Active Panel AP 5-70 keeps giving no signal message on computer restart HDMI Connection

Hello,

we have been having the same problem with our AP (Active Panel) for a few months.

Basically, when the classroom is in use, the AP works fine and is detected,  The  whole ensemble powered off at the end of the day and then the next morning, turning everything on, results in "NO SIGNAL".

The only work around has been to change the BIOS, on the Video settings, but here is where it gets funky:
It doesn't matter which of the 2 BIOS settings is used, (the options are either Auto or Intel HD Graphics), as one will work today but not tomorrow and vice versa.

If, say, on Monday, i set the bios to "AUTO" it will work fine, but the next day, when turning everything on for use, that setting no longer works, and it has to be changed to "Intel HD Graphics".
on Tuesday, the Active Panel works with "Intel HD Graphics"  but by Wednesday morning it has to be changed back to "Auto", and so it goes on.
Some days, the computer and screen are left on over night, but the equipment goes to sleep. so back to the bios.

We have used two different models of Dell OptiPlex computers but to no avail.  
Changing the BIOS settings is a work around, but as it has to be done near daily, it is not really a fix.

The computer has two displays, the ActivePanel on HDMI and the monitor on DisplayPort.

Things we have tried:

At one point we thought the computer controlling the AP was to blame so we changed it and the problem persists.
Before changing the computer, we changed the HDMI cable used to connect the AP to the computer.  
We even changed to display port and audio cables to no avail.

Please can you help?

Answers

• Hi sdcictsupport,

Thanks for posting on the support community.

With regard to the issue raised, please could you let us know the order that both the computer and the ActivPanel are turned on?
    Does this make a difference if you change the order that the ActivPanel and computer are turned on?

For example, if you turn the ActivPanel on first, then the computer, does this display the computers image?

If you take the monitor out of the equation and just use the ActivPanel, does this work each time or have the same issue?

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Promethean Technical Support

• We are experiencing the exact problem at our school district with a new shipment of 200+ version 6 panels for 3 new schools.  We have brand new Dell Optiplex 3050 computers that connect to the panel with HDMI and a display port cable to the monitor.  Our work around has been to tell teachers to turn off their computers at the end of the school day and unplug the display port cable (monitor) from the back of the computer.  The next day, they turn on the computer and when they see the display on the ActivPanel, they can plug in the display port cable to the computer for the monitor to show a display.  Also in power options, we changed the computer & display to NEVER go to sleep.  This works but we would like a better solution.
  • Hi bwestbury,

Thanks for your post.

Can you confirm that the issue only occurs when you connect the display port cable from your computer to your PC monitor?

If so, this is most likely a graphics card issue on the computer with outputting to 2 screens. In this instance, we'd recommend contacting the manufacturer for further advice.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Hello, I am having the same issue. Day 1 my ActivPanel worked fantastically. End of Day 1, I ran the updates on the OPS and it has not worked well since. I have an Apple TV connected and that HDMI works fine. Any time I try and connect my computer to use ActivInspire with my students, I get NO SIGNAL. I tried the different HDMI ports and even a new HDMI. Please help!!
  • @kwarmbein

Into which ports on that Panel are the HDMI connections from the AppleTV and the Computers connecting?

When you connect the computer to any of the Panel's HDMI ports Does the Panel notify you that a new device was connected to an input on the Panel and ask if you want to switch to that input?  Even if that message is not received, can you switch to that input using the Panel's source menu?

Are the same computers and devices unable to have their video output displayed by the Panel able to have their video output displayed by a different panel that they connect to elsewhere?
  • kwarmbeinkwarmbein Posts: 2
    edited on August 29 2018
    @Jarrad Promethean Apple TV connected through HDMI 2 and my computer connected through HDMI 1 on the front and the touch through the front. 

Yes, the Panel always notifies me that a new device was connected. I click the OKAY to switch to the device and get No Signal. I can switch to that input on the menu if needed, but the message is usually received. 

• Hi kwarmbein,

Thanks for your reply.

If you disconnect your Apple TV from the ActivPanel and connect your computer, does this work to display an image?

On your computer, are you using any adapters or converters at all or is this a direct HDMI cable?

If you connect the Apple TV to HDMI 3/Touch 3 and test the computer in HDMI 1/2 does the same issue occur?

Please also ensure that your computer is set to duplicate and is outputting a resolution of 1920x1080.

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Promethean Support

• BrianKellyBrianKelly Posts: 4
    edited on September 11 2018
    bwestbury said:
    We are experiencing the exact problem at our school district with a new shipment of 200+ version 6 panels for 3 new schools.  We have brand new Dell Optiplex 3050 computers that connect to the panel with HDMI and a display port cable to the monitor.  Our work around has been to tell teachers to turn off their computers at the end of the school day and unplug the display port cable (monitor) from the back of the computer.  The next day, they turn on the computer and when they see the display on the ActivPanel, they can plug in the display port cable to the computer for the monitor to show a display.  Also in power options, we changed the computer & display to NEVER go to sleep.  This works but we would like a better solution.
    Out of interest, how long is the HDMI cable between 3050 and panel, and what Operating System are you running?  We are experiencing a similar issue and when connecting a shorter HDMI cable (less than 2.5m directly connected), we no longer experience the issue.  Clearly not acceptable, hence my own open question / topic on the use of Windows 10, longer HDMI cables and No Signal.
  • HI BrianKelly,

I have responded to your topic on the below link:
    https://community.prometheanworld.com/en/discussion/7002772/ap6-75a-4k-and-windows-10-long-hdmi-cables#latest

Kind regards,
    Adam
  • I just submitted a support ticket for this very issue.  This is happening on multiple boards at any point during the week. I have tried different laptops, different cables, different ports.  Nothing seems to matter.  The board alerts that a new input device is connected but displays the no signal message.  
  • Hi danleimer,

We will help to respond on your support ticket to resolve this issue.

Kind regards,
    Adam