Software Solutions

This topic contains 111 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by Jonathan Smith Jonathan Smith 5 days, 3 hours ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Hello, 

I recently upgraded from a 2009 iMac to a 2018 iMac. Using the old computer, Activinspire was quick and easy to use. However, when using activinspire on the new computer (which has significantly greater processing power), the program is very slow and unresponsive, making it very difficult to type and compose flip charts. I have updated the program to the latest version and installed the latest ActivDriver but neither of these actions has resulted in improved performance.

Please could you advise on how to return the program to a usable state.

Anonymous

Hi GreatTeacher57,

Thanks for posting on the Support Community.

There is no reason why ActivInspire should be slow on your new computer, however it’s possible that if this is part of the schools network, this may be slowing this down.

Does this make a difference if you are connected to the Promethean ActivBoard/ActivPanel to write on the flipchart and the speed of the response from using the pen tool than when not connected to the hardware?

If you are able to log in as a local admin user, then please try this and let us know if this behaves the same.

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Promethean Technical Support

Anonymous

Hi Adam, 

Thanks for getting back to me.

I think my question must have been a little vague! I’m using Activinspire (personal edition) on my own personal computer at home to prepare flipcharts that I can take into school and use during lessons. In school, those flipcharts work fine and I experience no lag when typing and/or using the pen. However, it is only at home where I am not connected to the school network in any way, where I experience the slow performance of the Activinspire program.

Oddly, when I use the pen or highlighter or eraser etc the performance is fine. It’s only when I use the text tool (the tool I use the most!) that there is a delay when typing (1-2 seconds per letter), making it quite awkward to use. The program opens and closes quickly, it’s only when using the text that the performance is really slow!

I hope that clarification helps.

Anonymous

Hi GreatTeacher57,

Thanks for your clarification, it’s not an issue that I’ve seen before with ActivInspire.

Are you using version 2.13? This can be checked by opening ActivInspire and clicking ActivInspire>About ActivInspire and is listed at the top.

If you create a brand new user (with admin access) on the computer, do you get the same issue?

Many thanks,
    Adam

Anonymous

Hello Adam, 

Yep I am using version 2.13 of ActivInspire Personal edition (on Mac OS X 10.13.6).

I have just tried creating a new administrator account and the problem persists, unfortunately, on the new user account.

Any further help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

When editing the flipcharts at home, are they being accessed from a USB drive, an online folder of some kind, or are they copied to the computer (e.g. to Desktop)?

Is the computer at home an iMac or a MacBook?

In either case, does using a different keyboard affect the performance of the Text tool in Inspire?

Anonymous

Hi Jarrad, 

Regardless of whether the flip charts are located from a USB drive or from the local disk, the typing tool is still very slow.

The computer is a 2017 iMac (3.4 GHz Core i5).

Yes the keyboard was something I had thought might be the problem (the iMac has a wireless bluetooth keyboard), however, I have tried two separate wired keyboards and the problem remains.

Anonymous

Hi GreatTeacher57,

Thanks for your reply.
    This is quite an usual issue that we’ve not come across.
    If you use the on screen keyboard (rather than external keyboard), is this also affected by the delay?
    Kind regards,
    Adam

Anonymous

Hello Adam, 

I have just tried typing using the Mac accessibility on screen keyboard, and the issue still remains, unfortunately.

Thanks

Anonymous

Hi GreatTeacher57,

Thanks for your reply.

I will email you directly to further assist with this issue.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Anonymous

Hi,

I am also having the same issue on my iMAC (same model as GreatTeacher57)

Could you please advise on how to resolve the problem?

Thanks

Anonymous

Hi mrnbarr,

Thanks for posting.

I will contact you too regarding this issue over email so we can investigate further.

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Promethean Technical Support

Anonymous

Hi,

I’m also having the same problem on a 2017 MacBook Pro.

Could you help?

Thanks

Anonymous

I’m reaching out to you via e-mail outside of this community, @mr_fortune, so we can investigate this issue more directly.

Mark Meyer
    Mark Meyer
    Participant

Typing using the “Text” tool in ActivInspire when not connected or when connected has a lag that is not useable. Been testing it in different situations and it still is very very slow.  How can this be fixed?  Mark Meyer mmeyer@immluth.org

Hi Mark Meyer,

Thanks for posting.
    Can you help to confirm the version of ActivInspire you are using?

This can be found under ActivInspire>About ActivInspire.

Thanks,

Adam
    Promethean Support

Mark Meyer
    Mark Meyer
    Participant

Yes, it’s the latest version   2.14.67304

doesn’t lag right away. Probably by the second page that you use text tool on it starts to lag quite a bit where it is unusable.

Mark

Mark Meyer
    Mark Meyer
    Participant

we’ve been on version 2 for many years now.. We need an update and a version 3 !

Stop working so hard on the desktop version and update ActivInspire…….

Hi Mark Meyer,

Thanks for your reply.

I would recommend uninstalling your current version and revert back to version 2.13 which should not cause any lag whilst in use.

You can download this for Mac on the below link:

http://activinspire.s3.amazonaws.com/activinspire/ActivInspire%20v2.13.67172%20GBR.dmg

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Promethean Support

Bob Wilcox
    Bob Wilcox
    Participant

Adam,

Our school just updated to new Apples, and two of us in my team are experiencing this typing lag. Please put it in your bug list with some priority. Meanwhile, I’ll try reverting and see if that fixes the issue.

Hi Bob Wilcox.,

Thank you for your reply. We are actively working on ActivInspire and getting this issue fixed.

We have recently changed over platforms for our forums and unfortunately some of the previous posts were lost which related to this issue.

One of our product managers for ActivInspire had responded to some customers on the forum, this was lost during the switch. However, please see the response here:

Thanks for bringing up your concerns. Rest assured that we’re actively addressing the slowdown being experienced 2.14. As part of the 2.14 release, ActivInspire generates additional troubleshooting logs than previous versions. These logs are stored on the user’s PC and are intended to greatly improve the troubleshooting experience during a support call. In some cases, however, this has led to some customers experiencing a slowdown.

We have identified a resolution and will be incorporating this into the next release. In the meanwhile, if you continue experiencing this issue, we recommend rolling back from version 2.14 to 2.13. Craig has provided a link to it in his comment above.

Lastly, we are definitely continuing development on ActivInspire. There will be exciting updates in the next release so stay tuned.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and thank you for your patience and continuous support!

Steven Hsieh
    Product Manager, Lesson Delivery

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Promethean Support

Elangland
    Elangland
    Participant

Is there a solution to this issue yet?  I notice the problem is very bad when not connected to a board.  When I connect to my promethean board I have “less” lag typing, but it isn’t 100% removed.  It makes it completely useless to work at home when I can’t type.  My board is not wired to my desk in my classroom so I have to prepare my presentations away from my desk and work at my podium instead of where all of my resources are.

Since we first encountered this issue on this thread, we have had a couple of updates to the ActivInspire software released; the up-to-date version (2.17, as of this post) can be downloaded from our support website on the ActivInspire Download page.

If that behavior is still present with that updated version installed, please let us know the version of macOS in which this is occurring and whether any similar behavior is seen in other software running on that mac.

Nina Syson
      Nina Syson
      Participant

I am having the exact same problem that people are mentioning in this thread. It is making trying to prepare anything at home very frustrating indeed which is how I have worked very successfully for the last 6 years.

The link to the older version mentioned does not seem to work. I have updated ActivInspire to the very latest version just today and it is still painful to type any text.

Please can you let me know if you have had any more joy in giving solutions to individuals for this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Elangland
    Elangland
    Participant

I understand.  I thought I had updated to the most current version, but I hadn’t so I updated from 2.16.7 to the newest version of 2.17.68075 and I’m running IOS 10.14.6 which is the most recent version.  The only time I experience any lag at all on my machine is when I’m trying to type in Activinspire.  I do notice that the lag issue seems to jump more with the recent update, as in I’ll be typing something and it will rush 5 or 6 letters each jump instead of 1 or 2 at a time.  It is very annoying because it hampers my ability to work at home.

I do have less issue when I’m plugged into my promethean board, but that isn’t a great solution.

Thanks

Hi Elangland,

If you create a brand new local admin on your home Mac, do you receive the same issue?

Thanks,

Adam
    Promethean Support

Elangland
    Elangland
    Participant

Yes I do have the exact same issue.  It actually seemed to type even slower than on my main account.

I’m completely flabbergasted as to what could be causing the issue.  Everything else runs completely fine but the minute I tab to Inspire my computer gets all spastic and laggy.  If I tab out it is completely fine.

Mark Meyer
    Mark Meyer
    Participant

I have found that it seems to be related to “Fusion Drive” on the Macs. I have an older computer without and it works fine. My New iMac with a Fusion Drive it is too sluggish to even use…

That’s my findings, love em or hate em.

Mark Meyer

Elangland
    Elangland
    Participant

The only thing I find irritating is that the issue goes away nearly 100% when I’m connected to my board.  So I’d guess that ActivInspire is constantly pinging to find the board and it is causing the program to not respond effectively?

Hi Elangland,

To ensure the best performance when using ActivInspire on Mac, follow the steps below to remove ActivInspire from the Security & Privacy settings. This should help if ActivInspire appears to be running slowly.

Open System Preferences on your Mac.
    Go to Security & Privacy.
    Select the Privacy tab at the top.
    Click on Accessibility in the left pane.
    Click on the padlock at the bottom and enter your password to access the list of apps.
    Select ActivInspire then click the minus button to remove it from the list.

Thanks

Adam

Promethean Support

Mark Meyer
    Mark Meyer
    Participant

This doesn’t help at all with slowness.

Elangland
      Elangland
      Participant

Yep.  did nothing at all.

Hi both,

Thanks for your replies.

Elangland, can you confirm if you do have a Fusion drive on your Mac at all?

Are you using any custom fonts when typing at all?

I have tested this morning on a Macbook running 2.17 and 10.14.6 and i’m not able to replicate to the full extent of your issues. Whilst I can see a slight delay whilst I type (in comparison to when using a Windows OS), this is usually fairly fast and does not jump/freeze whilst typing.

Are other Macs experiencing this issue that you are aware of?

Thanks,
    Adam

Promethean Support

sgaspar
      sgaspar
      Participant

I am experiencing slowness when I type as well. I have a personal computer (Mac) and a work one (Mac) and the typing is slow whether I am connected to the board or not. The latest update cleared up the camera issues I was having, but it has not cleared up the lag I am experiencing.

Hi sgaspar,

Thanks for posting.

Are you experiencing issues where when typing the text is lagging with characters jumping every 5-6 letters?

Are you using custom fonts or a Fushion Drive at all?

If you uninstall the software following the below article, and then install the software again, do you get the same issue?

Thanks,
    Adam

Promethean Support

sgaspar
      sgaspar
      Participant

I do not believe I have a Fushion Drive for this mac because it is a work computer and they do not have the funds to upgrade our devices. However, I was using custom fonts…but I did use basic fonts in some flipcharts with the same results (lagging).

vansusan
    vansusan
    Participant

Hello,

I am having the same exact issue as described above…when using the text function there is a lag and then all of a sudden several letters pop up at once.

I had this issue with the last version of ActiveInspire but after a painful few months it seemed to disappear. Prior to that, I never experienced this issue and have been using macs with ActiveInspire for years.

I am on my personal MacBook Pro (2017); Software Version 10.14.6. I JUST updated my ActiveInspire software about an hour ago to 2.16.67968 and now I am experiencing this issue again. 🙁

I would greatly appreciate any assistance!

Thank you in advance,

Susan

Hi all.

If possible, please can you show a recording of this issue happening and upload to the link below and let us know when this has been done?

http://tiny.cc/boxupload

Vansusan, have you updated to ActivInspire 2.17 yet? If not, please can you try this and let us know if you have the same issue?

Kind regards,

Adam

Promethean Support

vansusan
      vansusan
      Participant

Hi Adam,

I had been under the impression that I had the latest version because Activinspire prompted me to update to 2.16.67968, but when I went to the website just now, I was able to download 2.17.

Unfortunately the problem still persists…

Susan

Mona Wågberg
    Mona Wågberg
    Participant

Hallo!

I have the same problem, it´s almost impossible to type – it´s so very, very slow!

The problems started when I upgraded my iMac.

Mark Meyer
    Mark Meyer
    Participant

Adam, I’ve already sent a recording of this happening. It’s a known problem. It needs to be fixed yes?

Hi all,

I have been doing some further testing here in the office and we have helped to find a resolution.

Please can you try changing your options in the your display settings:

We have trialled on 2 different Macs which are different specifications, and found that adjusting this to either Default, or larger helps with this issue.

This may be different per machine, could you try changing these options and then writing and let us know your outcome?

If this issue is fixed, can you confirm what option you were set to and what your screen resolution was?

Many thanks and I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

Adam

Mark Meyer
    Mark Meyer
    Participant

I would not say that this is an answer to the problem, but it got a little faster with each size larger.

Still not as responsive as it should be though and that means you can’t use a “fine” resolution which is why we have retina and better iMacs.

Stephen Noble
    Stephen Noble
    Participant

Hi Adam, I have been having the very same typing problem, read this message board this morning, tried your most recent solution, and this left me having to call Apple Support and being told to reset my NVRAM as my Mac began crashing. I have also tried the additional suggestions above. I have the latest version too.

Karen Feld
    Karen Feld
    Participant

Hi Adam K. I’m having the same problem. Activinspire is slow…and I mean SLOW. Even dragging pictures and resizing is slow. I noticed though that when I mirror my screen and it changes resolution to a super huge font the problem goes away.

This is not a fix. I should not have to be in mirroring mode to work in Activinspire. There is something in the new macbooks that is not communicating well with your software. Could you please tell me what you are doing to identify what about your software is not communicating well? I really don’t want to have to be in mirroring mode every time I edit my flipchart.

Thanks so much for your help

Elangland
      Elangland
      Participant

Do you notice the problem diminishes when actually plugged into a board?  I have massive typing and object movement lag (so bad that I type and then tab out and work in word for something else and then go back in later letting it finish typing) but when I connect to a board via USB 90% of the lag or more is gone.

Karen Feld
      Karen Feld
      Participant

No. My computer is hardwired into the board and the lag time is pretty bad.

Oliver Payne
    Oliver Payne
    Participant

Hi,

I have also been experiencing this problem ever since installing the program on my personal Mac. I am running a MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2016 with an i5 and 8 GB of RAM on Version 10.14.6.

I have followed all recommendations above, including changing resolution, which doesn’t work, and updating Activinspire, which has made it run even slower.

Any advice would be much appreciated as it is currently impossible to work on.

Thanks,

Ollie

Stephanie Herb
    Stephanie Herb
    Participant

I am having the same issue, and have tried the recommendations. I also uploaded a video of how slow it is typing into the link posted above.

Andrea Thompson
    Andrea Thompson
    Participant

Hi,

Having the same issue. Followed your recommendations to no avail. Macbook pro 13″ 2016 OS v 10.14.5

As there seems to be an ever-increasing number of people reporting this issue any ideas when this might be resolved as making life very depressing trying to get any work done and as school is about to start again would be nice to at least have a system that worked.

Thanks with anticipation

Andrea

Alex Jacoby
    Alex Jacoby
    Participant

Same problem here.  New (2019) 15″ MacBookPro running slower than my 2012 MacBookAir, only when it comes to text entry on ActiveInspire.  Noodling w/ the display scaling helps a bit, but not enough to warrant the loss of screen space.  I already have a support request that’s been escalated, but I figured I’d vent a bit here too and let others know they’re not alone.  A little surprised to see this issue has been around for over a year now.

Looking forward to hearing about a fix to this soon!  Thanks,

Alex

keithlnc
    keithlnc
    Participant

Again to echo other’s comments, this has been dragging on for far too long and needs to be resolved.

Interestingly, I have a MacBookPro running High Sierra 10.13.6 with AS 2.10.66827 which works fine (NO LAG!) and an iMac also running same version of High Sierra but latest version of AS (2.16.67968) and it has the unusable lag.  I also have an iMac running Mojave 10.14.5 and AS 2.14.67304 which is laggy.

I’ve resisted upgrading my MacBookPro for obvious reasons – all the recent versions I’ve updated to on the iMacs have been laggy in typing to the point of being unusable.

Can the moderators post a link to AS 2.10.66827 so I can try that on my other iMacs to see it works as it should and maybe others can try to as that version works fine for me.

It’s not an issue with the Java driver you also need to download for Macs, is it?

Cheers;

Adem Promethean
    Adem Promethean

Hi,

2.17 is available to download from our support site: https://support.prometheanworld.com/product/-activinspire-/

Some users have found that setting the scaling to standard has helped, as well as following this article (also mentioned above): https://support.prometheanworld.com/article/1769/

Java is required for the equation editor.

This problem is not affecting all Mac users, so it is difficult to pin point what could be causing the issue. Our software team are looking into this issue.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Adem

keithlnc
    keithlnc
    Participant

Hi Adem,

Thanks for your reply, but 2.17 is EVEN WORSE in terms of lag than the previous one (and the resolution looks awful too).

As I asked above, can you post 2.10 so I can try it as that definitely works on one of my Macs.

Cheers

Oliver Payne
    Oliver Payne
    Participant

I agree with Keith – 2.17 is even slower.

Marta Walter
    Marta Walter
    Participant

I did not notice an improvement in either upgrading to newest ActivInspire software version 2.17, nor when I changed the display settings to any of the multiple versions recommended (Mac 13-inch, 2018, macOS Mojave). Very upsetting.

Steve Shapero
    Steve Shapero
    Participant

I want to chime in as well that using the text entry in ActivInspire is PAINFULLY slow on my iMac.  I feel like a snail trying to run a marathon.  The problem does not exist on our Windows based computers at school (we’re running Windows 10) but it is a problem on my iMac at home.  Also, are you planning on coming out with a new ActivInspire that will support the next major Apple operating system which will only support 32 bit technology?  (I think it’s 32 bit technology – apologies if I have that wrong).  Please reply on these and advise.

DEBBIE BUESNEL
    DEBBIE BUESNEL
    Participant

Hi

I updated my ActiveInspire to 2.17 following an update prompt. My previous version worked beautifully, now it is so slow I can’t use it. It takes so long to drag an object, type, add media… it is painful. I am using a 2018 Macbook Pro, Software Version 10.14.6 (18G87) – Mojave. The ActiveInspire is the personal addition.

Please could you post the link to an old version so that I can re-install.

Desperate teacher trying to avoid going into school to get planning done at home!

Hi all,

Thank you for posting.

I will raise this with our software development team to look into.

As soon as we have an update, we will let you know.

Kind regards,
    Adam

keithlnc
    keithlnc
    Participant

Hi Adam,

It would be appreciated if this issue could be marked as URGENT with your software development team, rather than just raised.  The issue has been around for over a year now and it really doesn’t feel like it’s being given appropriate due attention given the software has become next to unusable and none of the recent software upgrades have made any difference.

In the meantime, it would help if a complete repository of former versions of the Mac software was made available so people could downgrade to versions which previously worked.

Thanks

Steve Shapero
    Steve Shapero
    Participant

Here, here!  I completely concur with KeithInc.  That would be lovely!

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

It is possible that you may encounter this issue on previous versions of the software however there is a link to version 2.13 of ActivInspire below:

http://activinspire.s3.amazonaws.com/activinspire/ActivInspire%20v2.13.67172%20USA.dmg

Please let us know if this helps in the meantime.

Thanks

Adam

Promethean Support

sgaspar
    sgaspar
    Participant

I get this image when I click on the link to download the previous version for 2.13.

2.13 images

sgaspar
    sgaspar
    Participant

I get this image when I click on the link to download the previous version for 2.13.

2.13 images

sgaspar
    sgaspar
    Participant

2.13 images

sgaspar
    sgaspar
    Participant

2.13 images

sgaspar
    sgaspar
    Participant

2.13 images

sgaspar
    sgaspar
    Participant

2.13 images

sgaspar
    sgaspar
    Participant

Sorry,

The message I posted originally posted one too many times.

keithlnc
    keithlnc
    Participant

Hi Adam,

Can you share v 2.10.66827 as that definitely works on my MacBookPro and used to work on my iMacs until they were updated.

Thanks

Hi,

Apologies for the broken link, below you can find 2.10 and 2.13:

2.10:

https://promethean.box.com/s/93u6zi4s33qqyr4b7ljppz0of6ew2625

2.13:

https://promethean.box.com/s/c3wae60mkp7mx2i11mja2z4kotr34pty

Once we have further updates we will keep you updated.

Thanks

Adam

Promethean Support

Elangland
    Elangland
    Participant

Does one of these work better than the other?

keithlnc
    keithlnc
    Participant

Yay!!! 2.10 works perfectly on both my iMacs now – one is on High Sierra and one on Mojave…

Finally….

Steve Shapero
    Steve Shapero
    Participant

Version 2.16 is NOW WORKING on my iMac.

Adam K said to change my mac’s display setting (under system preferences) to NOT SCALED and see what would happen.  That had no effect on the problem, so I changed it back.  I’m not sure what else to attribute the sudden GOOD SPEED of text entry, but it is now working just fine on ActivInspire version 2.16, and I’m scratching my head trying to figure out what just changed.  And will it continue?

Alex Jacoby
    Alex Jacoby
    Participant

Thanks for sharing those corrected links, Adam.  Version 2.13 is working well for me on my 2019 MacBook Pro.  I hopefully will no longer have to display Word documents on my board like a barbarian!

Steve Shapero
      Steve Shapero
      Participant

Okay, it’s a day or two later and unfortunately, the “good speed” of Version 2.16 did NOT continue.  It’s back to it’s old speed again, so obviously I need to go back to version 2.13.  I will not miss any of the features of 2.16.  Steve Shapero

sgaspar
    sgaspar
    Participant

Thank you, Adam, for sharing the Activinspire versions 2.10 and 2.13. Activinspire is working back to normal again. However, it would be nice to know if versions 2.16 and 2.17 will get repaired (for Macs) so we will eventually have access to the newest tools (like the timer).

Hi all,

Our software team is looking into these issues and as soon as we have an update to provide, we will let you know.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Marta Walter
      Marta Walter
      Participant

Mine also started working after I changed the settings, but after two days, I am right back at slow typing…

Will try 2.13, fingers crossed.

Karen Feld
    Karen Feld
    Participant

The 2.10 version works on my new mac!!!! Finally! Now I can create my lessons without cursing everything in sight!

Steve Shapero
    Steve Shapero
    Participant

Adam, speaking of reverting back to older versions of ActivInspire, our school is experiencing computer crashes with the Windows based version 2.13.  Do you have a link to roll back to the Windows version prior to 2.13?  Would that have been 2.9?  We’re trying to get hold of it quickly and I generated a request but haven’t heard back from Promethean Planet yet.  Whatever you can do to help, we would appreciate it.  Thanks.  Steve

Hi Steve.

We aren’t aware of any issues with Windows versions of ActivInspire, I suspect you may have other issues which may be best discussed on either a new thread or via email through our technical support team.

You’ve mentioned computer crashes, could you be referring to the issue reported here?

Thanks

Adam
    Promethean Support

penny1960
    penny1960
    Participant

I’m also experience extremely lag on my new mac when typing and not connected to the board. I make most of my lessons from home. Is there a resolution yet? I’ve tried many of the already stated suggestions and nothing has worked for me.

Stephen Noble
    Stephen Noble
    Participant

Downloading v.2.10 worked on mine, but it’s not the most modern version…

Hi penny1960,

Thanks for posting.

We don’t have a resolution yet for this issue however I will continue to raise this issue to our development team.

As soon as we have a resolution we will let the community know.

Kind regards,

Adam

Promethean Support

Andrea Thompson
    Andrea Thompson
    Participant

Are there any updates on this, are you any closer to finding a solution to this problem?

Hi Andrea,

We do not have an ETA on when this will be fixed however it is currently scheduled for being fixed in 2.18 of ActivInspire.

Once I have further information on this we will update the community.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Promethean Support

Steve Pojda
    Steve Pojda
    Participant

Same problem, when using the text tool, typing is extremely lagging.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting.

We’ll add your comments to our development ticket.

We’ll notify this thread once this has been fixed.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Promethean Support

Kellie Johnson
    Kellie Johnson
    Participant

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? Many of my teachers are having issues with this and looking to me for support. Thanks!

Hi Kellie,

We do not have an ETA for a fix for this yet, however it is currently scheduled for being fixed in 2.18 of ActivInspire..

Thanks,
    Adam

Promethean Support

Eusebia Parbi
    Eusebia Parbi
    Participant

Hi Adam K. Can you please send links to Activ Inspire versions 14, 15 or 16. My mac says that version 13 is too old to work on the computer. Thanks!

Hi Eusebia Parbi,

Please feel free to download ActivInspire 2.17 from the Support site.

We’d recommend ensuring that you have followed the advice on the below article for better performance:

Thanks

Adam

Promethean Support

Eusebia Parbi
    Eusebia Parbi
    Participant

Hi Adam K. I have already done this and it is still very slow. Because I have got the newest Mac software update my MAC is saying version 13 is too old to run. Therefore I’m hoping the versions above that will work with this new software update. So would it be possible to have some links to v.14., 15 or 16?

Eusebia Parbi
    Eusebia Parbi
    Participant

Ah, thank you for the link. It’s still too old, unfortunately. Is it possible to send the newer versions?

Hi Eusebia,

If you are using Mac OS Catalina, please be aware that ActivInspire and the ActivDriver are not supported currently.

If you are getting a message about 32bit and 64bit applications, you will need to use ActivInspire 2.17 which is 64bit compatible.

Kind regards,

Adam

Promethean SUpport

Andrea Thompson
    Andrea Thompson
    Participant

Hi Adam,

Any idea when Catalina will be supported as this is going to be a bit of a problem for Mac users.

Thanks

Andrea

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for posting.

We do not currently have an update from our software development team however this is aimed to be supported in the next release of ActivInspire.

Thanks

Adam
    Promethean Support

Marta Walter
    Marta Walter
    Participant

Unfortunately I did not follow this thread and I updated my Macbook Pro to Catalina and as others also mentioned, the older version of ActiveInspire 2.13 was deleted. I installed the latest 2.17 professional edition, and here we go again, super slow typing. Any ideas how long it will take for 2.18 to come out or is there a solution by using any earlier version? I cannot prepare my flipcharts for school, help!

Hi Marta,

Our previous versions of ActivInspire are only 32bit applications which do not run on Catalina operating systems.

You can try the steps in the below article:

We will make our best endeavours to get a supported version released soon.

Please keep an eye out on the Support Community Announcement section for when this has been announced.

Thanks,
    Adam
    Promethean Support

Edward Hodgkin
    Edward Hodgkin
    Participant

This issue is still causing problems. Not impressed that it is not yet fixed as this has been a know bug for some time. I will be raising this at my school federation’s ICT strategy meeting. When will this be resolved?

Craig Promethean
    Craig Promethean

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

I appreciate this can be frustrating, we are doing everything we can to resolve the issue.

We are hoping to support Catalina in the next release of ActivInspire.

We do not have a release date as of yet but are hoping for this to be released soon.

Thank you,

Craig

Promethean Technical Support.

Lara Agnew
    Lara Agnew
    Participant

I am experiencing the same (slow text) problem with my MacBook Pro. And I do not seem to be able to download the older version of ActiveInspire. Do you have any suggestions for me please?

Hi Lara,

Can you confirm what OS version and ActivInspire version you currently have installed?

Some users have found that setting the scaling to standard has helped, as well as following this article : https://support.prometheanworld.com/article/1769/

Thanks

Adam

Promethean Support

seb ra
    seb ra
    Participant

Hello everybody,

i am a teacher from Germany and have the same “slow typing problem” with activinspire (2.17.68075) on my iMac 27 (2017, with Catalina). An older version of activinspire (2.13) works normal on my old MacBook Pro (2012). I use activinspire for 5 years.

This is what I found out – or better to say may walkthrough:

My iMac has the 5K display and a second screen (2560 x 1440). If I use activinspire on the 5K display the “slow typing problem” is there and its not possible to work. But if use activinspire on the second screens, I do not have the problem with the typing or slow mouse-clicking – the speed is quite normal and similar to word etc.

So I only use activinspire on my second screen.

May be the walkthrough for all the others here with the “slow typing problem” is to decrease the resolution to full hd or 2560 x 1440. Good luck to everybody.

Nevertheless I hope Promethan (the company we paid for the “slow typing problem”), will update activinspire quickly and solve the problem.

sebra

Sean Williams
    Sean Williams
    Participant

It seems I’m just piling on. So be it. In addition to the slow text entry, and general lag, Inspire crashes every time I quit.  I have saved the latest crash report as a text file, and would be happy to share it.

Hi Sean,

Thanks for posting.

Can you confirm the version of ActivInspire and OS version you are using?
    If you manually uninstall ActivInspire following the instructions here and download the latest version available (2.17), let us know if you have any issues.

Thanks

Adam

Promethean Support

Sean Williams
      Sean Williams
      Participant

My details at the time of the post:

• 2017 MacbookPro
      • MacOS 10.15.1
      • ActivInspire 2.17.68075

I will manually uninstall/reinstall and share observations.

Jonathan Smith
    Jonathan Smith
    Participant

Regarding the Release Notes for ActivInspire v2.18 (released 4 December 2019) please can a moderator add specific comment as to whether the issues that we Mac users have raised on this (15 month) thread have been resolved? If so I’ll put my Xmas tree up. No mention of Mac is evident as far as I can see.

On a pessimistic note my current UK version 2.17.68075 as of today is reporting no update available.

Would appreciate if other iMac users can install v2.18 and their findings.

Seasons greeting to all.

Wendy Promethean
    Wendy

Hi Jonathan,

I can confirm that v.2.18 does now fully support Mac Catalina as well as resolving the “Slow input for text” issue some Mac users were seeing that could not be resolved with scaling.

The latest release is never made available to the auto-update feature of ActivInspire as a best practice, in case any major issues are reported in the early days after the release. Once we are confident it will not cause issues for any sites globally that have the update feature enabled, it will be added.

This has been the case for all our recent ActivInspire releases.

You are more than welcome to download the version from our Support Site, we currently have no reported issues with it outstanding, we’d love to hear your thoughts.

Do let us know if there was any other specific issue you were querying, happy to confirm if a fix for it was included.

Happy Christmas tree decorating!  😉

Thanks!

Wendy

Jonathan Smith
      Jonathan Smith
      Participant

Thank you for your swift, informative and helpful response Wendy. In the days to follow I’ll act on your advice and hopefully celebrate the star from the east and the west this Xmas.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.