Interactive Whiteboards

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Adam K Promethean Adam K Promethean 8 hours, 49 minutes ago.

• Author
    Justin Stokes
    Justin Stokes
    Participant

Has anyone updated the firmware on their boards yet? I have updated three different 378Pro boards and now none of them respond to touch. Using multiple computers. They show up in device manager as HID devices as they are now supposed to. Touch doesn’t work, and activmanager no longer detects them when connected. Flame is white and flashes blue to register a touch, but nothing registering on the computer.

Have opened a support ticket but just curious what others have experienced.

Joe Park
    Joe Park
    Participant

I have the same exact issue as well with the 378Pro.

Caveat:  I did do the update over a USB cable that was longer than 3m and was connected to a USB booster.

The board had been working fine in Windows 1803.  Promethean tech support suggested connecting to the board with a computer using a USB cable 3m or shorter.  Haven’t tried it yet, but I will post the result when I do.

Craig Promethean
    Craig Promethean

Hello Both,

Can I ask which firmware you have upgraded too?

You will need to upgrade using a 3m USB cable with a direct connection.

You will also need the latest Promethean driver installed. I have provided a link below:

ActivDriver

Please let us know the results.

Kind regards,

Craig

Promethean Technical Support

home

Joe Park
    Joe Park
    Participant

I tried the 378pro again with a USB cable that was shorter than 3m.  Same result.  However, I was running a laptop with the latest version of ActivDriver, but it was Windows 1803!  🙁

I haven’t gotten a chance to get that board hooked up to an 1903 Windows laptop yet.

Justin Stokes
    Justin Stokes
    Participant

@ Craig, this is for 8.12, the firmware that was released on 10/31 to fix the BSOD issue.

@Joe, all of mine were running 1903 which is why I was eager to install the upgrade asap 🙁

Adem Promethean
    Adem Promethean

Hello,

Please remember when using a USB 3.0 chipset, 3m is the maximum length. Sometimes using a USB hub booster can help get a stable connection.

Adem Couper

Joe Park
    Joe Park
    Participant

So today:

• Uninstalled and reinstalled the latest ActivDriver
    • Connected to the board with a USB cable > 3m.
    • Used a laptop with all updates and Windows 1903 with USB 2.0.

Got this result with our ABV378PRO, Serial C0912310354:

• Flame went through it’s color routine and ended on white.
    • Pen does not work; When touching the board, flame turns blue.  Mouse cursor does not move.
    • I am unable to try to do the firmware update again; in ActivManager, there is no information about the connection to the board other than USB in the ‘Connection’ column.

Two days ago, I did do the firmware update in article 1779, but it was over a 16ft USB cable with a booster.   After the firmware update, that’s when our issues started.

I went through all the steps in the 1779 article re: selecting ‘tablet’ in ActivManager.

I went through the steps for changing the Windows Tablet PC settings with no success; the pen did not work for the calibration screen that popped up during these steps.

Adem Promethean
    Adem Promethean

Hi Joe,

The flame being white is correct and that it turns blue when a pen touches the surface is also correct.

Can you please confirm what firmware is currently installed on the ActivBoard?

You do no need to go to the “connections” tab as this for legacy serial connections and not USB.

Even using a USB 2.0 port if it has a USB 3.0 chipset this will sometimes takes precedence.

When attempting a firmware update we recommend only doing it with a short cable which gives you a stable connection.

Thank you.

Adem

Joe Park
      Joe Park
      Participant

I am unable to view the firmware version; there is no information in the ActivManager window other that ‘USB’ under the ‘Connections’ column.  Also, the board takes around 7 minutes to connect to ActivManager, but even then the connection info just says ‘USB’ under the ‘Connections’ column.

Justin Stokes
      Justin Stokes
      Participant

I’ve got an appointment for a remote session with Promethean support tomorrow morning. Will update this thread with any info I get.

Justin Stokes
    Justin Stokes
    Participant

Ok, Had a session with Promethean support. You have to boot the boards in a very specific order after the firmware upgrade basically every time a computer is connected to it.

Power off amplifier, either the button on side or unplug power.
    Disconnect USB (this also provides power)
    Reconnect USB (flame in corner will cycle colors and settle solid white when finished booting)
    Power amplifier back on.

Cross
      Cross
      Participant

Dear Promethean.. is this expected behaviour? We’re also experiencing this problem on several boards after the firmware upgrade.

Although following the boot procedure does work to fix the connection … i can’t say our teachers are happy about it being necessary…

Kyle Bisignani
    Kyle Bisignani
    Participant

So just to follow up with everyone, I can confirm independently of Justin’s work with Promethean Support the issue is in fact related to the 300 Pro models (could be 500 Pro too, but I don’t have any of those) with the powered speakers.  When connecting a device (such as a laptop) to the board and the speakers are powered on, the flame indicates that everything is connected, but the pen does not register and the ActivManager shows a red X indicating no board is connected.

Disconnecting the laptop from the board, powering off the speakers, then connecting the laptop back up, and finally turning on the speakers, resolves the issue.

The support rep I spoke with didn’t really have any information on the issue just yet, so I can only hope this is just a simple driver update and not new firmware that has to be loaded onto the board.  Fact is, having to dock and turn on the speakers after the fact is probably better than the laptops restarting from a Windows BSoD.

She did say to keep an eye here at the forums for an update from Promethean about the issue…

Hi Cross, Kyle Bisignani

Thanks for posting.

From the issue that you have mention about the steps that you’ve followed from Justin Stokes, we think that you may have previously been on an older version of ActivBoard firmware prior to updating to the HID firmware.

I would recommend rolling back your firmware to one listed on the article below and then updating to the HID firmware again:

Please remember, after you’ve applied the HID firmware please follow these steps:

-Power off the ActivBoard at the amplifier by pressing the On/Standby button. Ensure that the button is now red.
    -Disconnect the USB cable from the computer.
    -Reboot the computer.

This should only be required the once.

Thanks,

Adam

Promethean Support

Kyle Bisignani
    Kyle Bisignani
    Participant

Yikes Adam! Yes, I’m certain the boards with issues certainly weren’t updated prior to loading the new HID firmware. Any special instructions to roll back, or is it as simple as installing the file in the article you linked?

Jordan Kasparek
    Jordan Kasparek
    Participant

I already posted this somewhere else but the solution here only fixes it until you unplug from the board again. I talked to Promethean support for over an hour yesterday and while we have found no permanent solution this is the solution I found to work best temporary:

It seems that ActivManager freezes up when you plug in your laptop if the amp on the side is on, to fix this:

• After you unplug your laptop from the board turn off the amp on the side (light should be red)
    • After you plug your laptop back into the board turn the amp back on (light should be green)

This should stop ActivManager from freezing for the time being until it is permanently fixed

Cross
      Cross
      Participant

Yep. I also told our users to make sure the AMP is off when they leave the classroom to prevent the issue from happening in the morning when they connect to the board.

Adam, all our boards are 300 series 87″. I’m pretty sure they were all running 8.09 firmware prior to updating.

I guess the only thing i didn’t quite do as you describe is the procedure after updating. I used my own laptop to walk from board to board to update them … obviously i did not reboot my laptop each time i updated a board…

Is it even possible to have a firmware upgrade being only half a success? I thought these things either go well … or fail completely?

I’ll try downgrading and upgrading again with some boards to see what happens.

SUHSD TECH
    SUHSD TECH
    Participant

Calibrating these boards post firmware update is a nightmare.

• Windows 10 1903
    • Promethean 300/500 Series

Can calibrate:

• 1 monitor
    • 1 projector

Cannot calibrate:

• Multiple monitors regardless if using duplicate/extended mode
    • Multiple monitors with one display set to “disconnect this display”. While monitors and projectors are physically connected, I cannot calibrate.

Even windows “Tablet” settings in the control panel cannot be setup as it won’t accept any input from the board. Once I remove a monitor, I can use both utilities without issue.

Hi SUHSD TECH,
    You have a different issue than what has been reported by others. To help with your issue, per the instructions on Article 1779, did you set your ActivManager Control Panel to Tablet mode under the pens tab:

Here is the extract from the article:

b. Pen interaction in extended desktop will only work if ActivManager is set to Tablet mode.

Open ActivManager’s Control Panel and click on the Pens tab.
    Under Pen Mode, select Tablet.
    Click Close.
    NB: You may need to configure Windows 10 to allow the Stylus input to work on your ActivBoard as the second screen. To do this, go to the
    Windows Control Panel, open Tablet PC Settings, then click Setup and follow the instructions on screen.

This is due to the way Windows handles different input types (Mouse inputs, Stylus/Pen inputs, Touch inputs, etc.).
    Due to the limitations of Windows HID device drivers, mouse inputs cannot be used on a single extended screen only (e.g. the ActivBoard). Windows HID device drivers only allow Stylus and Touch inputs to control single extended screens.
    This is because Windows expects mouse events to span across all screens, not each individual screens separately, so pen interaction as Mouse input cannot work in extended desktop.

For the Connectivity issues mentioned by Cross, Jordan Kasparek and Kyle Bisignani. Can you confirm that you have rolled back your firmware and then performed the HID firmware upgrade per the full article instructions listed here?

Thanks

Adam

Promethean Support

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.