Interactive Whiteboards
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      John WJohn W
      Participant

The new promethean driver for El Capitan is provided in a .app installer instead of a .pkg installer.  This makes it impossible to deploy remotely to teachers from the IT side.  This is a significant step backward for Promethean and makes it very difficult for the technology department to support our teachers.  Will a PKG formatted driver be made available?  Also, is an uninstall of the old driver required, or only if the person has already upgraded to El Capitan and broken their existing driver?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi,

Note that we no longer provide a .pkg installer.

The method on a Mac is:

1. Unzip the .app
      2. In terminal run the following command: < Installer Filename > -mode unattended

(So on a Mac it could be: homeactivdriver-5.12.17-osx-installer-x64.app –mode unattended)

This will install the ActivDriver silently on the machine in question.

An uninstall of the old ActivDriver is always required, regardless of what has happened previously.

Please let us know if you require further details.

Kind regards,

Miguel
      Promethean Technical Support

Anonymous
      Inactive

I appreciate the response Miguel, I guess I’m looking for more of the ‘why’ along with the ‘how’.  Why was this change made?  This makes it so much more difficult for school districts and other to remotely deploy the driver to staff members computer.  This is the very reason why there is the PKG format is to allow these flags to be set in a universal standard, not just for your installer.

An additional technical question also: Does the uninstaller also respect the ‘-mode unattended’ string to silently remotely uninstall the driver?

Thanks,
      John

Anonymous
      Inactive

It appears that you can no longer extract an MSI from the Windows driver, is this correct?

Anonymous
      Inactive

I was wondering how to do this line command using a deployment utility such as Casper? This .app method is disappointing and so primitive.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi,

Deploying software is not something that we can advise you on.
      If Casper, or other deployment management software can deploy .app files, then the advice on how to do that needs to come from the manufacturer/ developer of that software.

The ActivDriver is now only provided in .app format as previously mentioned and we will take your comments and ensure they are passed to the development team.

Thank you

Miguel
      Promethean Technical Support

Anonymous
      Inactive

On our networked iMac machine, the driver was installed using the local admin and everything works fine but when logged out and another user logs in with his/her credentials the error “There has been an error (*** unknown variable msg appversion.error ***)” appears. The user account is a network account binded to our active directory server.

What is wrong?

With all your previous drivers I never had these problems. It is only with this new version for El Capitan that these problems are happening.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.