Interactive Flat Panels

This topic contains 22 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Jarrad Promethean Jarrad Promethean 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Can anyone recommend a decent webcam for 70in ActivPanel with ActivConnect G Series?  

Anonymous

Hi jesmsmit74,

Thanks for posting on the Support Community.

We don’t have any recommendations for webcams that you can use, but providing that the webcam doesn’t require any drivers to work and it supports Android operating systems, this should work by simply connecting into the ActivConnect.

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Promethean Technical Support

IT Support
    IT Support
    Participant

We tried to use webcams from Logitech, in both cases using Google Meet or Google Hangouts the video works but the microphone not. We tested with a sound recorder app from the Play store and the mic works well. So we can’t find why the microphone from the webcam didn’t work with the video calls

Any clue?

Regards,

Alejandro

Wendy Promethean
    Wendy

Hi Alejandro,

Does it make a difference if you connect the web-cam to a stand-alone PC and test the mircophone?  This might give us some insight on where the issue is coming from.

Have you tried looking on the Google Meet/Hangout forums to see if this is a problem they have heard of before?

Kind regards,

Wendy

Promethean Technical Support

https://support.prometheanworld.com

IT Support
    IT Support
    Participant

Thank you for the response,

The problem is the microphone. We tested using Google Meet, Google Hangouts and Skype with different web cameras and we can’t get sound input from the internal mic of the camera. It’s weird because using the Android default camera app we get videos with sound but with some corrupted video quality.

Any thoughts?

Do you recommend some webcam to use?

Hi IT Support,

Thanks for posting.

I will ask our second level team to test this, once I get an update I will let you know.

It is possible that this may be an app specific issue as some apps that i’ve seen require built in webcams to devices in order to work, rather than the use of external cameras and microphones.

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Promethean Support

Hi IT Support,

Could you confirm if you are using the ActivConnect G or OPS-G?
    Also, please confirm the software version that you are using? This can be found in the Update application.

If you are using a version prior to v2.3, please update and let us know.

Thanks,
    Adam,
    Promethean Support

IT Support
    IT Support
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for the response. We have ActivConnect G and the last firmware 2.3 (the last one).

Hi IT Support,

Thanks for your reply.

We have tested Skype Lite and this works well with Logitech cameras (as long as the correct camera is selected in the app (front/rear)).

This points to it being an App specific issue as this is working in the Camera app that is pre-installed on the device (and also Skype Lite).

Kind regards,
    Adam

Promethean Support

IT Support
    IT Support
    Participant

Hi again,

No luck, the same problem and the Skype Lite didn’t have an option to change the sources. You can use the webcam or the mic separated, but not together.

Does it exist a whitelist of cameras for this hardware?

Regards,

Alejandro

Hi Alejandro,

Thanks for posting.

This may require further discussions with the developers of the apps to see if there is any specific settings that are required in order to get this to work.

We do not have a whitelist of cameras for the ActivConnect.

Kind regards,
    Adam
    Promethean Support

IT Support
    IT Support
    Participant

Hi again,

Has anyone used a webcam with these devices? I mean, you have not done any tests to use videoconferencing?

Please, let me know if you have some clue about what device we can use.

Regards,

Alejandro

Hi IT Support,

I’ve tested Skype Lite this morning with a Logitech C920 and can confirm that this worked when calling another user using Skype (from a computer).

I did have to allow both the webcam and audio to be allowed when this was first launched.

You’ll need to ensure that the “rear” camera is chosen when you are on the video call, this will point to the webcam that you have connected.

We have also tested this with a Logitech c270.

Kind regards,

Adam

Promethean Support

IT Support
    IT Support
    Participant

Hi Adam,

I will send you soon a video with our experience. Today we proved using the Logitech cameras, and then the camera with an external MIC (using the mini-jack port) and the issue persists.

I resume you the issues:

• We use ActivConnect G with the last firmware (v2.3)
    • We tested using Logitech cameras (c920 and c230)
    • We tested Hangouts, Skype, Skype for Business, Skype Lite
    • We tried to find an option in every app about “sound source” and didn’t exist.
    • We connected the camera and the MIC (the camera mic and the external mic) using:
      • the appliance (ACON1-G) in both USB ports and we used the Screen ports (USB 1, 2 and the front USB)
      • the Mini-Jack audio port that is bottom on the back

Some clues are:

• If you use a voice recorder app, it works perfectly.
    • The default camera app records videos with sound, so it works, but the video quality is ugly.
    • When you start a video call, no matter what app you choose, you only send a video without sound.
    • If you make a call only with sound, so the mic it works (the camera mic or the external mini-jack mic).
    • If you add a USB Mic, didn’t work at all.

I hope this info helps. I tried in other Prometheans and we have the same results.

Best regards,

Alejandro

Pam Promethean
    Pam Promethean

Hi Alejandro,

We have tried Duo app and that will work with both the camera and mic.

For Skype Lite, you will need to make sure the webcam is connected to the ActivConnect and not the ActivPanel.

You’ll need to ensure that the “rear” camera is chosen when you are on the video call, this will point to the webcam that you have connected.

You also need to make sure both the webcam and audio to be allowed when this was first launched.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Pam

Pam Promethean
    Pam Promethean

Hi Alejandro,

We have tried Duo app and that will work with both the camera and mic.

For Skype Lite, you will need to make sure the webcam is connected to the ActivConnect and not the ActivPanel.

You also need to make sure both the webcam and audio to be allowed when this was first launched.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Pam

IT Support
    IT Support
    Participant

Hi Pam,

Please read all the messages. We tried with different apps and always the problem is the video didn’t work together with the microphone. We can’t offer to the teacher’s to use only one software that need a phone activation.

Please, send us a video showing from starting the device on, what you do in order to work the videoconference software.

Regards,

Alejandro

IT Support
    IT Support
    Participant

Good Morning,

We have done more tests. We have factory reset the ActiveG and reconfigured it again (clicking ALLOW allow to all the messages).
    With Hangouts, the camera works and the MIC does not.
    With Meet the camera works and the MIC does not.
    With Skype Lite if you call with a video call the MIC does not go, if you call with a voice call and then turn on the camera, both work but the client does not receive the video (yes the mic audio of the Promethean)
    With Skype for Business, the camera works and the MIC does not.

Regards,

Alejandro

Hi IT Support,

Thanks for your update and findings.

Promethean cannot support external cameras or third party applications that you have mentioned, as such we do not test our hardware with them and we can only try and help with any issues that arise.

We suspect that this issue will come from how the applications are supporting the webcam as an input (as this has video and mic) rather than an internal mic and camera to a device such as phone/tablet.

We would recommend that you contact the software developer for further advice.

Kind regards,

Adam

Promethean Support

IT Support
    IT Support
    Participant

Hi Adam,

In reply #15711 you told me there isn’t whitelist from you about cameras, so I ask you: “Promethean cannot support external cameras or third-party applications” means there are no official cameras and/or apps at all to use with our interactive screens?

Please, let me know if you sell a special camera for Promethean and video call software. It will save time if you from the beginning share us specific hardware and software that works with video calls.

Best,

Alejandro

Wendy Promethean
    Wendy

Hi Alejandro,

I absolutely appreciate that this must be a frustrating problem for you, especially since we cannot replicate the problem form our end with the tested cameras. You have clearly invested a lot of time investigating and testing the problem, as have we in an effort to gain further insight into the cause of the issue you are seeing.

Whilst we are aware that there are customers that use webcams in this functionality successfully, we manufacture and facilitate only the ActivPanel display and Android platform as classroom solution that is used with a whole range of functionality. I hope you can understand we have to limit our support to the products that are supplied by Promethean. We couldn’t in good conscience recommend anything without being able to guarantee that it will work with the products we support it for it. From the results of your tests, it would seem that perhaps the Android operating system is assuming there is an inbuilt microphone, as you would expect from a Tablet / Phone and defaulting the sound to it. It might be a case of having to disconnect/reconnect the USB microphone during the operation of Skype/Google Hangouts, but perhaps you have tried this already.

IT Support
    IT Support
    Participant

Hi Wendy,

I really appreciate your feedback but we need urgently some solution to that. Today we tested another camera and we have exactly the same issues. I guess it will be great if you suggest some hardware that works, I mean because we start to talk with other schools about that and two of them having the same problem.

Regards,

Alejandro

We do not have any recommendations for third-party accessories to use with our hardware.  We would recommend reaching out to the webcam’s manufacturer for advice on compatibility or for any applications or drivers necessary to help their device function in the ActivConnect’s Android operating system.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.