Software Solutions
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      stephenlawJSRHSstephenlawJSRHS
      Participant

Have Windows 10 Professional installed on a number of school-issued Dell laptops. Have applied all Windows updates and have the latest ActivDriver installed. When we plug in the USB for a Promethean it take forever for ActivManager to connect if at all. If ActivManager doesn’t connect, I have checked device manager and see an exclamation point over the generic usb hub. Seems to be a USB issue but I can’t see to locate where the breakdown is. Any suggestions?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Since upgrading our HP EliteDesk 800 and ProDesk 400 computers to Windows 10, we have experienced a ton of USB connection issues.  Often unplugging the USB connection and reinserting will allow the board to reconnect.  

Anonymous
      Inactive

Tried the unplug thing…no joy. Thanks for the post however.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi stephenlawJSRHS,

Can you please confirm how long the USB cable is? Is it connected directly to the hardware? 

To rule out the cabling being an issue can you please try a direct connection with a 3m or less USB cable. 

Thank you,

Craig

Anonymous
      Inactive

6 foot USB. Had this happen in another room and we swapped out the cable with a new one to rule out the cable. Same result. Have a Mac in this classroom…when we hook up the Mac, the board connects immediately. Issue seems to be isolated to Windows 10 clients. We are looking at USB power management setting on the Win10 clients to rule out a power management issue.

Microsoft released a patch for Windows 2008 R2 servers that made a change to the usbhub.sys that caused havoc with our nComputing virtual servers. I am not ruling out a recent update being in the mix either.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Stephen,

If you click on ActivManager and select Control Panel, what version is listed at the bottom of the window?
      If this is prior to 5.14.14, please can you uninstall the previous version, restart and install the latest ActivDriver from the link below:
      https://support.prometheanworld.com/product/activdriver

Please can you also log in with a local admin user on the Windows 10 computers and see if this connects with the ActivBoard? 

Thanks,
      Adam
      Promethean Technical Support

Anonymous
      Inactive

We are using ActivDriver 5.14.14 and have installed using the standalone installer from your site. Each teacher assigned to a laptop has a full administrator account to their machine so they can install software (we trust our staff). But the connection is still present when using their administrator or my primary administrator account.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Here is a screenshot that shows what I mean. /SRL

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your reply email.

Please could you try and uninstall the Generic USB hub by right clicking on this and selecting Uninstall.
      Once uninstalled, please can you remove the USB cable for the ActivBoard and restart the computer.
      Once restarted, please connect your USB cable directly to the ActivBoard, ensuring that this is bypassing any wallboxes or connectivity panels.
      This should help to re-configure Windows to detect this as a new device.
      If you still experience any issues please let me know.

Kind regards,
      Adam
      Promethean Technical Support

Anonymous
      Inactive

Followed the instructions as outlined. Still had the same issue. However, if I went back and connected directly to the USB controller on the board, the connection comes right up. I am beginning to think the issue is with the USB connection on the control box. I have two other boards with USB connection issues. I will direct connect to them and see if the control box is the culprit. Stay tuned….

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.